The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Acoustic feedback problem (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35968)

rhudson 12-11-2003 07:51 AM

Acoustic feedback problem

I am fairly new at playing acoustic. I have recently acquired a very nice custom made grand auditorium with venetian cutaway. It has african rosewood back and sides, western light cedar top. Beautiful guitar and an absolute dream to play. I can't hardly put it down. I recently had my luthier, the one that built the guitar, to install a bridge saddle pickup. He installed the L.R. Baggs LB6 with the Baggs EQ box. It sounds great, plenty of varoooooom, but I have 2 little issues. Number 1 issue is feedback on the low C note. No matter whether on the A string or the Big E. I bought a feedback buster and it cut it way down, but the feedback on that one particular note is still there, though not nearly as bad.

The other problem, though not serious, is that the D string does not have quite the volume that the other strings have. Almost, but not quite.

I love playing acoustic. I absolutely love it. If I would have know it was this much fun, I would have started doing this years ago.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Richard

rhudson 12-12-2003 07:38 AM

Well, I may have solved part of my own problem with the feedback. Up until last night, I had only played the acoustic plugged in at church, where I sit very close to my amp. Last night, I played my first gig outside of the church and was out front walking around. Guess what, no feedback. Duh.

I really enjoyed playing last night. That was my first outside gig playing acoustic plugged in where I had everything working right. I took my electric along, but it never came out of the case. I enjoyed the acoustic so much, that I played the whole show with it.

Also, the problem with the D string being of lower volume was apparently the old string. New strings before the show last night solved that problem.

So, you guys are a lot of help. :) I guess my questions were so stupid that no one had the heart to tell me so. But, I tell you, I am enjoying playing the acoustic so much, that now I am hot for a nylong string. Stay tuned.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Richard

A1rh0pper 12-12-2003 09:08 AM

Might get a soundhole cover for when you are at church. It'll keep some of the frequencies from sneaking back into the body of the guitar and causing the feedback. They are really cheap and seem to work really well.

I know that when I play open mics where the PA is up really loud, I'll pick up a lot of feedback and have to either turn a certain way or swipe the soundhole cover from the guy sitting next to me...LOL.

4Gtrs 12-12-2003 02:08 PM

I use a Fishman Rare Earth Blender and plug into our church PA. I have a huge feedback on any A note. The soundboard guy likes to crank it up, and with 3000 watts, multiple 18" subs, multiple speakers throughout, that feedback really rattles your spine. Funny thing is that once the feedback starts, we (bass and guitarists) don't know who is causing the feedback and so we throttle back on our volume settings. Then the soundman cranks it up more, then the feedback starts again. By the end of the set, we're down to the lowest volume settings and we're at the soundman's mercy.

rhudson 12-12-2003 02:45 PM

Quote:

we throttle back on our volume settings. Then the soundman cranks it up more, then the feedback starts again.
That's hilarious. The sad thing is, it is so true. Why is it that when they are looking for a job for someone, they always put them in control of the sound system?

Vector02 12-12-2003 05:45 PM

I've had the same problem with any A. I've been looking for a soundhole cover that is black...Like the one DMB uses....but all I can find are wooden ones. Any ideas?

rhudson 12-12-2003 05:49 PM

Quote:

I've been looking for a soundhole cover that is black.
The one I bought at the local music store is a black rubber one. Just over 7 bucks. I don't remember the brand name, but I will look when I get home.

Richard

JRGill 12-13-2003 08:38 PM

I think what you're looking for is the "Feedback Buster". Here is the first retail link that came up on a google search:

Feedback Buster

Of course, I don't think I would order it by itself from there... since the Feedback Buster is $5.99, but they charge $4.99 for shipping!

Forensicguy 12-13-2003 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JRGill
I think what you're looking for is the "Feedback Buster". Here is the first retail link that came up on a google search:

Feedback Buster

Of course, I don't think I would order it by itself from there... since the Feedback Buster is $5.99, but they charge $4.99 for shipping!

Here's an interesting thing I notice about the Feedback Buster and an ES equipped guitar.

Last Sunday at church, I got my Taylor 414-RCE (with ES) to feedback whenever I played a low D note. Apparently that low D is at the frequency that makes my guitar top resonate more than the ES can handle. (On my Ovation Legend - Shallow Bowl, it was a low B that caused my guitar to feedback, so the Taylor is at a higher frequency.) I tried using a rubber Feedback Buster on the sound hole, but I could definitely notice that it killed the overall sound of the guitar, even amplified. I never noticed that much muffling of sound (amplified) when it was on my Ovation Legend or my old Takamine NP-45C (since sold). So, apparently, the body sensors on the ES system really do work! Once the heavy rubber was placed in the sound hole, it damped the vibrations of the top so much that you could hear the muffling through the pickups! The Ovation and Takamine’s “under saddle pickups” couldn’t really tell much difference on anything placed in the sound hole. Sure, acoustically you can hear those two guitars being muffled, but plugged in, it didn’t make much difference!

I immediately pulled the Feedback Buster off the guitar and just moved myself further away from the direct path of the speakers.

Something to think about!

rhudson 12-14-2003 06:56 AM

Quote:

So, apparently, the body sensors on the ES system really do work! Once the heavy rubber was placed in the sound hole, it damped the vibrations of the top so much that you could hear the muffling through the pickups!
That's interesting.

Forensicguy 12-14-2003 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rhudson

That's interesting.

Yes! It shocked me so much that the feedback buster only lasted a total of 30 seconds on my guitar before I couldn't stand the sound anymore that I pulled it off the guitar!

You'd be surprised by how much the sound had changed with that thing in the sound hole when amplified (not to mention acoustically.)

Goes to show you how sensitive those ES pickup sensors are!

plexipunk 12-20-2003 05:12 PM

watch where you position you monitors and use a planet waves plug for your sound hole