The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Use of laptops for recording? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496276)

gfsark 01-13-2018 01:35 PM

Use of laptops for recording?

I’m sure that this topic has been discussed many times, but technology changes pretty fast. I’m looking at a new PC, and I don’t like laptops per se, but portability is a big advantage, plus in today’s market there are about 10 laptops sold for every “desktop.”

Laptops are used a lot for recording, I think, but do any of you use a laptop both for recording and as a DAW for post recording editing?

Comments appreciated. Thanks

KevWind 01-13-2018 03:29 PM

I do not use a laptop for audio production , but many here do........... However

I think perhaps you are going at this from the middle as opposed to from the start.

Start with: what is the intended use/es

First does it have to have portability ? If yes, then laptop by all means.....

If no, then probably no need to pay extra for up charge for laptop compared to a desktop

Todays powerful laptops will handel most home audio recording/ mixing with ease. BUT That said, you will pay more in terms cost/performance ratio for the laptop.

Bob Womack 01-13-2018 03:48 PM

I work as a recording engineer/sound designer for a large broadcast firm. We keep multiple DAW work stations in studios and post production rooms, all running Steinberg's excellent Nuendo. And yes, we always have at least one laptop loaded with Nuendo and several other platforms that is used for remote recording and editing. Besides that, several of our engineers also have laptop-based DAW/recording systems. One of us travels with several touring bands and records the shows on a Windows Surface.

Bob

Mbroady 01-13-2018 04:22 PM

$ per $ you will get more (memory, faster processing, faster and larger hard drive) from a desk top, But with the right Laptop there is no reason why you could not have a great DAW. Though, I do not know of a non-cutom (or custom) Laptop that has killer converters and mic pres built in, for true portability. I would think they are out there but they would be a pretty penny.

DupleMeter 01-13-2018 09:04 PM

Yes - I've been using MacBook Pros to record for a long time. I do a fair amount of location recording & when I'm in the studio I just plugin to a big screen & full sized keyboard and my Kensington Expert Mouse. I use Digital Performer as my main DAW, but also have Pro Tools because I get a far amount of projects in PT format. I've done sessions for some really big clients on my laptops over the years without issue.

If you get the right system it's more than capable.

DupleMeter 01-13-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbroady (Post 5601620)
Though, I do not know of a non-cutom (or custom) Laptop that has killer converters and mic pres built in, for true portability. I would think they are out there but they would be a pretty penny.

I would never want my DAC/preamps integrated into my laptop. Plus, many interfaces these days have extra DSP power to help alleviate processing drain from plugins & such.

rockabilly69 01-14-2018 02:52 AM

I have two HP Elitebooks that are loaded with all my DAW Stuff and they both use RME interfaces. The one in my home is based on a RME Babyface and a Mackie ONYX 800R, and the one is my project studio is based around a RME UCX and a RME ADI-8 DS.

ngockhanh1988 01-15-2018 12:24 AM

Laptop and a micro USB (AT2020 USB) is more metter ;)

Mbroady 01-15-2018 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DupleMeter (Post 5601899)
I would never want my DAC/preamps integrated into my laptop. Plus, many interfaces these days have extra DSP power to help alleviate processing drain from plugins & such.

Perhaps one day..........

MikeBmusic 01-15-2018 08:50 AM

One consideration is your audio interface - if it is USB-powered, does the laptop have enough 'juice for it, specially if it is providing phantom power to mics?
IF you need 'portable' - do you still have access to 110v power? If so, an audio interface with a wall-wart power supply is the answer so that the laptops's USB power is not an issue.
I have heard that some laptop's power supplies may add noise/hum to the audio circuit (dirty power supply) necessitating running the laptop off battery power while recording, but that may only be older power supplies, not the current crop of them.