The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Any early morning guitar players here? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456855)

Tyeetime 01-19-2017 05:46 PM

Any early morning guitar players here?

I see that some people mention that they practice before they start their day, and it got me wondering how many do that? Is it the only time of day you can practice, or do you truly enjoy it?
Maybe I should give it a try.

muscmp 01-19-2017 05:49 PM

i have a friend who comes over now and then. he usually comes by about 1030 and leaves early afternoon to beat the traffic. we'll play guitar, then shoot the s$^t, have lunch and play more guitar.

as for me alone, i seemingly can't play until 3 or 4 in the pm.

play music!

Guitaurman 01-19-2017 05:54 PM

I've gotten up at 5:00 a.m. and written songs before with one of my guitars. When an idea hits me it doesn't matter what time of day or night it is. I will grab a guitar whenever I'm awake and have a few minutes. It's a much better thing to do than watch T.V.

RossM 01-19-2017 05:54 PM

It's the only "alone" time I have. I get up before everyone, make some coffee and head into the back room I call the Music Room. I get a full hour practice between 5 and 6 and then the house comes alive. Wife and I getting ready for work, kids getting ready for school.
I tried practicing at night after everyone goes to bed but by then I'm done too. I just don't have the energy or focus in the evening.

Looburst 01-19-2017 05:59 PM

I get up late, between 9 or 10am, usually play long into the night almost daily.

virob 01-19-2017 06:01 PM

I'm generally up before 6 am. Used to go for a long walk with dog in the morning, but she is getting too old, and can only manage a block or two at the most. Now I play guitar for an hour or so before going to work. Got to be my favourite time to play.

SFCRetired 01-19-2017 06:09 PM

I retired in July so I get up each morning grab a guitar, strum some chords, see what you folks are doing, look at guitars on reverb and ebay. Strum some more, look for songs to learn. rinse repeat.

But back in the day when I was learning I would get up and practice a half hour every morning. Go home for lunch, practice more, rinse repeat.

Methos1979 01-19-2017 06:09 PM

I work evening shift - 4 to midnight. So I'm usually in bed between 2-3 a.m. and up by around 9:30. After a morning 'routine' of checking headlines and getting some coffee in me, I almost always grab the guitar and play an hour or two. So yes, I do play in the mornings. I'll also on occasion noodle around at night when I get home but the real practice/work gets done in the morning hours. That's when I plug in and work set lists, write music, etc.

Larry Pattis 01-19-2017 06:11 PM

Early mornings are my absolute favorite time to play, and especially for improv explorations...

Denny B 01-19-2017 06:13 PM

I've been retired for a dozen or more years now, and I'm definitely not a morning person...

My wife is gone to work by the time I'm up, then I'll have a couple of cups of coffee and a little breakfast...

I've said before, I like to eeeeaaassse into consciousness... ;)

Most of my playing is late morning to dinner time...that's my productive time...I can practice the same tune as many times as I need, or work out something new without worrying about driving the wife crazy...

After dinner, I might noodle on a guitar a little on the couch while the wife and I catch up on the day...

Works for me....

Kerbie 01-19-2017 06:14 PM

Yes, indeed. I tend to be an early riser... I guess that's from several decades of needing to rise for work around 3 am. So, I love to play early in the morning when it's nice and quiet. I always have at least one guitar in the bedroom so I don't have very far to go. To me, sunrise is the prettiest time of the day and I enjoy starting days with a guitar in my hands.

rokdog49 01-19-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFCRetired (Post 5200245)
I retired in July so I get up each morning grab a guitar, strum some chords, see what you folks are doing, look at guitars on reverb and ebay. Strum some more, look for songs to learn. rinse repeat.

But back in the day when I was learning I would get up and practice a half hour every morning. Go home for lunch, practice more, rinse repeat.

That first part sounds familiar. Great to be retired ain't it!
Now I can play whenever I want to, which is usually for 10-20 minute bursts unless I lock onto something. I also rotate guitars so everybody gets a turn.

Rev Roy 01-19-2017 06:19 PM

Depends on what you mean by "early." I grab a guitar after breakfast every morning (9AMish) and practice an hour and a half or so.

jpd 01-19-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyeetime (Post 5200210)
I see that some people mention that they practice before they start their day, and it got me wondering how many do that? Is it the only time of day you can practice, or do you truly enjoy it?
Maybe I should give it a try.

Best time to play....cup of java, wife's off to work, I'm still in slow mode.... I play smoother and easier than any other time of the day and my voice is in relaxed mode:guitar:

WCTrail 01-19-2017 06:35 PM

Up at 5 am breakfast coffee play 1/2 hour get ready for work.