The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Flying out to California (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485831)

Alistair Hay 10-12-2017 08:48 AM

Flying out to California

Tomorrow I fly to California for the 15th Annual Harp Guitar Gathering where we will be displaying a full range of harp guitars.
Harp guitarists are a rare breed but quickly multiplying in number and I often liken the Harp Guitar Gathering to a gathering of Unicorns.
That will run over the weekend and then next week I will be touring up the coast from San Diego to Santa Barbara mainly promoting the Balor acoustic bass.
I will be doing a presentation at Los Angeles College of Music on Monday and then meeting various bass players along the way.
All this to say that if you happen to be in the Carlsbad area you should really come check out the Harp guitar gathering and if you are anywhere else from there to Santa Barbara and would like to see the Balor or even an X20 that I will also have with me then please get in touch and I can point you to some locations I will be in.
California in October and I get to call it work. I really do have the greatest job in the world.
Alistair

HHP 10-12-2017 09:01 AM

Have fun, hard not to.

Last time I went to California, went to San Diego on a Sunday, rental agency hooked me up with a fire engine red convertible. Decided to kill time downtown, hit a big traffic mess, followed the traffic cops directions, and found myself a participant in the Gay Pride Parade around Balboa Park. I was behind a 70's MG convertible, two guys sitting on the boot with low cut dresses and hairy backs. I waved and smiled and the crowd waved back.

Guest 928 10-12-2017 09:10 AM

Alistair;

Very nice, it should be a fun trip. I have a friend here who is really interested in the Balor and I'll let him know you will be close.

Carbonius 10-12-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 5503561)
Have fun, hard not to.

Last time I went to California, went to San Diego on a Sunday, rental agency hooked me up with a fire engine red convertible. Decided to kill time downtown, hit a big traffic mess, followed the traffic cops directions, and found myself a participant in the Gay Pride Parade around Balboa Park. I was behind a 70's MG convertible, two guys sitting on the boot with low cut dresses and hairy backs. I waved and smiled and the crowd waved back.

WHAT????????... That is quite a story!! Belongs in a movie

HHP 10-12-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonius (Post 5503728)
WHAT????????... That is quite a story!! Belongs in a movie

I used to spend 1 week out of 4 in San Diego. The company used Avis and limited us to compacts. Avis got to know my name, I guess, so they would give me upgrade models and charge me for compact. On that trip, I got a Pontiac convertible. The cops must have been told that the parade cars were convertibles, so they put me in the parade queue when I was trying to get through traffic.

I only felt bad because I was underdressed for the event.

Captain Jim 10-12-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 5503561)
Have fun, hard not to.

So, are you suggesting that Alistair get a fire engine red convertible rental? I'm guessing he will need a large SUV to carry those new Synergys (Synergies?) from this month's Select Series and a Balor acoustic bass.

Although, playing a Synergy while sitting on the boot of a convertible is likely to draw parade-like waves! :D

bizango1 10-12-2017 02:54 PM

Black Z4 convertible: Check
Black Emerald X20 in passenger seat: Check
Ocean on left a.m. commute: Check
Ocean on right p.m. commute: Check

Being a guitarist in Santa Cruz is the life: Check

Tom2 10-12-2017 03:39 PM

Alistair,

On your web site, every synergy page states that the Harp Guitar Gathering is in July. This is October.

kramster 10-12-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom2 (Post 5503957)
Alistair,

On your web site, every synergy page states that the Harp Guitar Gathering is in July. This is October.

Irish time may be a wee different.

Guest 928 10-12-2017 05:33 PM

Alistair always tried to work ahead. But a 9 month lead-time seems a bit excessive.

mot 10-12-2017 08:56 PM

I want to go!

Tom2 10-12-2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramster (Post 5504025)
Irish time may be a wee different.

Maybe I need to take the international date line more seriously.

Emerald Guitars 10-13-2017 01:22 AM

Dear Tom,

Thank you for noticing, we appreciate the heads up. We made the amendment during the night.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Bob Womack 10-13-2017 05:11 AM

Be sure to wear flowers in your hair... if you're going to San Francisco...

Bob

Long Jon 10-13-2017 05:24 AM

Coming into Los Angeles

Bringing in a couple of X20’s

Don’t touch my bags if you please Mr customs man.

(To paraphrase Arlo Guthrie)