The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Ibanez J560BK needs lovin repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495192)

Spence 01-03-2018 05:43 PM

Ibanez J560BK needs lovin repair

I was given a used Ibanez j560BK in the case from a friend. It was owned by his father who passed away 7 years ago. We used to jamb together. The guitar looks like it was in the case and unstrung for that long. All the fancy trim and mother of pearl is intact.

The top and bottom have developed long ridges along the grain, probably from too much humidity. I think the top wanted to expand but the strut pieces prevented that so it ridged. These aren't the open cavity type cracks, but compression ridges that run only the length of the grain. There are fewer ridges on the bottom. In the sun's reflection they are like mountain ranges. The top of the crack is 1/1000" high and seems to be just the clear coat.

I can sand it down if it's simply the clear coat being sanded, but if I'm wrong, the spruce will be 1/1000" thinner over the ridges, affecting the resonance. Also, I'd need to match the black finish before lacquering.

The top is dead on straight and no bridge torque issues.

It plays alright, except for a dead G string, and I plan to change mediums to light, which affects the bass a bit but will be easier on the guitar, and simply play it till it falls apart, or I can repair. The action may be a bit high.

I've got a wood working shop and and I make furniture. Never worked on an instrument. Some say the value goes to zero if I do.

Thanks for the help.

mirwa 01-03-2018 06:51 PM

Establish what the humidity in the instrument is first, once you know that you can plan a repair procedure if it’s required

Steve

murrmac123 01-03-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 5590729)
In the sun's reflection they are like mountain ranges. The top of the crack is 1/1000" high and seems to be just the clear coat. ... I can sand it down if it's simply the clear coat being sanded, but if I'm wrong, the spruce will be 1/1000" thinner over the ridges, affecting the resonance.

Just to clarify ... when you talk about 1/1000" , you actually mean 1/100" , am I right ?

Spence 01-04-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murrmac123 (Post 5590914)
Just to clarify ... when you talk about 1/1000" , you actually mean 1/100" , am I right ?

Yeah, could be. What I mean is if you run your nail across it, it would be noticable, but it wouldn't catch the nail. Looking at it closer it could be due to dryness has shrinking would bring fibers closer. I'm guessing though.

Strangely enough, UTube has examples of people trying to add this effect artificially to their guitars, and here I am trying to get rid of it. :confused:

Spence 01-04-2018 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirwa (Post 5590806)
Establish what the humidity in the instrument is first, once you know that you can plan a repair procedure if it’s required

Steve

Good idea. My son has a small meter. I may just be able to get it in the hole.

Thanks!.