The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Amp Suggestions??? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492997)

RP 12-15-2017 08:34 AM

Amp Suggestions???

Would like suggestions for an amp for clean, classic tones to be used in living room, and probably never gigged. Will be playing a Stratocaster. Lots of people swear by tube amps but I can go with either solid state or tubes. Thanks....

KevWind 12-15-2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5569388)
Would like suggestions for an amp for clean, classic tones to be used in living room, and probably never gigged. Will be playing a Stratocaster. Lots of people swear by tube amps but I can go with either solid state or tubes. Thanks....

Budget range ?

RP 12-15-2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5569402)
Budget range ?

I'd like to stay <$800. My frame of reference would be either a Fender Hot Rod or a Fender Champion 40/100, but I'm wondering if I'm excluding some good alternatives....

The Old Gaffer 12-15-2017 08:45 AM

This is an ancient search. I think the answer depends on where your living room is. In a typical suburban house, you could get by with a small tube amp like a 5W Fender Champ, 12W Princeton Reverb or even a DRRI - whatever type of amp you like. If you share a wall, ceiling or floor with another residence, I would advise you to play through earphones. YMMV.

RP 12-15-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Gaffer (Post 5569405)
This is an ancient search. I think the answer depends on where your living room is. In a typical suburban house, you could get by with a small tube amp like a 5W Fender Champ, 12W Princeton Reverb or even a DRRI - whatever type of amp you like. If you share a wall, ceiling or floor with another residence, I would advise you to play through earphones. YMMV.

Ancient search??? I posted it 30 minutes ago. As for my home, I have a cabin in the woods with neighbors 30-40 ads away. Short answer, I can really crank it up....

MBDiagMan 12-15-2017 09:14 AM

This is one of those things that is a matter of taste and personal preference. If you have time to shop and a store is nearby, go plug into some amps and give them a test drive. I was unable to do that a few months ago and bought a Bugera V22 based on a reccomendation from Steve Derosa on this forum. Might have been the best music equipment advice I have ever had. It is a LOT of amplifier for the money and under $400. It is a really sweet sounding amp clean and is extremely versatile with a great reverb and can be overdriven. I have never looked back. It is a tube type amp and responds well to modification although I am really satisfied with it just as it came out of the box.

KevWind 12-15-2017 09:20 AM

Having only gotten back into electric guitar a little over a year ago, I am not an expert by any stretch .
That said I have been seriously involved in audio sound since 1973

For guitar amplification I tend prefer Tube (so far)

With a budget range of 800 max, you have a pretty big range of arguably pretty good options

As it happens right now Sweetwater is having a sale on a 25 watt Supro 1X10 combo that looks attractive on sale for $699 from a MSRP of $1660

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Supreme
It is running 6V6 power tubes, so maybe one of the more knowledgeable folks can chime in about the sound of those. It is cathode biased (which I understand means you can put in new tubes without having to re bias )

Also it provides two channels that can be accessed from one input and is footswitchable for more tone possibility.

Here is the company web site page https://suprousa.com/1600-supreme/
I took advantage of a similar steep discount sale they had of a different Supro w/ 6L6 tubes last year and it will be staying with me . I am still thrilled with it

J Patrick 12-15-2017 09:37 AM

...a Princeton reissue...either the 65 for classic cleans or the 68 for a warmer slightly less hi-fi tone...

roylor4 12-15-2017 09:42 AM

Fender Blues Jr. - Beautiful cleans. Tons of power, more than you'll ever need for most gigs and certainly at home.

Vox AC10C1 - Same qualities as the Junior, but more British flavor.

Blackstar HT5R - Beautiful cleans and a pretty good distortion channel at more manageable levels. Most 5 watters don't have any clean headroom - this amp does.

The Fender Champion series have a really nice clean tone. SS, but doesn't sound overly digital. I have a Fender Frontman 25R I just picked up for $40 and I'm thrilled with the cleans. I played through the Champion stuff last weekend and the 40 may deliver what you want. A LOT of volume for a SS amp, great clean channel and the ability to switch to other modeling options on a 2nd channel.

The Super Champ X2 is a step up from the Champion stuff IMO, but not by as much as you would think and at more than 2x the price.

There is a lot of options at your price point. Good luck and take your time. Beware of "dark " sounding tube amps. No way to add sparkle without putting a pedal or modeler in front.

Gmountain 12-15-2017 12:56 PM

one amp that has beautiful cleans- really nice, is the Ibanez TSA15. Check one out.

roylor4 12-15-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmountain (Post 5569712)
one amp that has beautiful cleans- really nice, is the Ibanez TSA15. Check one out.

Agreed. Only thing missing is reverb.

roylor4 12-15-2017 02:18 PM

I just received an email from Carvin. They have the vintage 16 amp back in stock.

American Built. Reverb. 5/15 watt pentode/triode switch. 12" speaker. $359

Don't get much better than that

1neeto 12-15-2017 03:17 PM

If tube, Blackstar HT1R. Solid state, you can’t beat the Fender Mustang.

KevWind 12-15-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roylor4 (Post 5569812)
I just received an email from Carvin. They have the vintage 16 amp back in stock.

American Built. Reverb. 5/15 watt pentode/triode switch. 12" speaker. $359

Don't get much better than that

I thought they announced in Oct. they were going out of business :confused:

roylor4 12-15-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5569923)
I thought they announced in Oct. they were going out of business :confused:

They are. My guess is that they are trying to keep employees busy while they blow out other, less desirable stuff. I get offers every week from them - 10% so & so, blah, blah. 10% off = little interest for me (and apparently others too).