The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Clever ways to reference your tip jar? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476381)

joeguam 07-14-2017 08:25 AM

Clever ways to reference your tip jar?

So this isn't a thread of whether or not a tip jar is appropriate, so please don't turn it into that discussion. For those who use tip jar when performing live, what are some clever ways to reference your tip jar without explicitly referencing your tip jar?

For example, someone on another thread said they named their tip jar "Phil" and introduce him to the crowd. Another example someone posted is to say their tip jar is really fund raising for guitar lessons. What do you say to make the audience aware that you have a tip jar?

ManyMartinMan 07-14-2017 08:28 AM

When I've used one I place it front and off-center so that it is visible. I never did more to enhance visibility.

amyFB 07-14-2017 08:45 AM

I think the open guitar case on the ground in front of the guitarist was the most visible and clear communication of the desire for tips.

Or some other large-ish no-question-about-it container that is easily accessible to the audience as they walk by.

I suppose it is possible to risk a theft of the tip-box if it isn't near to your hands, but I think I won't worry about that for now.

pgilmor 07-14-2017 08:59 AM

Not the jar per se, but guests are always encouraged to submit their requests on a Federal Reserve request note.

Tahitijack 07-14-2017 09:19 AM

Keep it simple. Label saying THANKS!

Athens 07-14-2017 09:40 AM

Tip Jar

A friend's band put two jars out. One labeled "Tips" and a smaller one next to it labeled "Overflow".

Gotta love their sense of humour. :D

ChrisE 07-14-2017 09:44 AM

Mine has a little strand of battery-powered Christmas lights in it. It doesn't really do much at daytime gigs, but at nightime or indoor gigs it kind of glows.

I mentioned it in another thread, but another performer at a venue where I play has a small gas can with a hole cut in it. He said kids think it's fun to put money in the gas can.

Pineapple Pete 07-14-2017 10:30 AM

Used to have a wooden sculpture (a repro of an antique) of a Dalmatian - many years ago, these statues were placed outside of firehouses where they didn't have dogs.

We hung a bucket around his neck and reminded people to "feed the dog".

ChrisE 07-14-2017 10:34 AM

When I was visiting Nashville last year one band attached the attractive young female singer to their tip jar and sent her carrying it around the place until it was properly filled.

dwasifar 07-14-2017 10:46 AM

I've always been tempted to prominently label it "SPIT" and then hold it up and say, "Sorry, I'm dyslexic."

But that could backfire in so many unpleasant ways.

Stratcat77 07-14-2017 11:13 AM

I don't usually use a tip jar, but have seen some cleaver messages.

TIPS - They're like hugs without the awkward body contact

TIPS - Help keep our children from being musicians

Guest4562 07-14-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwasifar (Post 5407510)
"Sorry, I'm dyslexic."

Oh. I always thought it was "lydexic."

AcousticAmber 07-14-2017 11:28 AM

I've seen one guy have a small plastic fish tank with a toy fish in it as a tip jar. And he'd say: "this is frank the fish he swims in dollar bills"

troystory92 07-14-2017 12:35 PM

"Do you fear change? Leave it here. :)"

My girlfriend gave me that one. But normally I just leave business cards in an open guitar case in front of one of my two speaker stands.

If you're good, people will leave money.
I know me, personally, am turned off when people reference to tip.

FOG01 07-14-2017 12:37 PM

A local pizza joint has theirs labeled as the KARMA JAR. I always feed it because who can't use a little more good karma?