The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Looking for an acoustic that feels like an electric??? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383174)

popguy 04-11-2015 02:43 PM

Looking for an acoustic that feels like an electric???

I just came back from guitar center. Tried every guitar in the place in my price range...under $1000

Was going to buy an Eastman AC 322ce but I tried the Taylor 314Ce and it sounded good and played well....but I don't want a body that big and I want a slimmer neck. The Taylor 100 or 200 series has a slightly smaller neck but those guitars don't do it for me. GS mini is too mini for me.

I did like the neck on one of the Martin guitars but it was too expensive and that body seemed just too small.

I don't think I like the auditorium body for my needs.....playing gigs for long hours and I don't want to be wrapping my arms around such a deep body.
And I would like the neck to feel like an electric guitar neck....like a Gibson ES335. For sitting around and playing or even recording a Taylor 314 or Eastman AC322ce would be fine. But for playing out a lot I need total comfort and of course good sound to be able to concentrate on my vocals without my straining my hands.

My hands aren't super small but I guess they are small enough where I am just not comfortable with these big acoustics.

The only Taylor they had there with a concert body was over 2500....so that's out. I've heard only good things about Eastman. Can anyone suggest another Eastman Model that might be better in my price range....or another brand???

Believe it or not I tried a Rainsong and it was set up with light strings and had very fast action. Decent tone too. Too much for my budget.

Perhaps there is nothing in my budget with the specs I am looking for. I will have to settle for something.

And info would be appreciated.

ewalling 04-11-2015 02:46 PM

Have you tried any Ovations? One of the most popular features of Os was that their necks felt as slim, easy and fast as electrics, and many do.

teleamp 04-11-2015 02:47 PM

Try the Taylor Big Baby, they're great...

emuhunter 04-11-2015 02:49 PM

I was going to suggest an Ovation and/or a Taylor as well, so I'll just respectfully second those votes :)

EoE 04-11-2015 02:54 PM

alerez and takamine.. and some great thin body acoustics out there which I really like and I would buy but my whole purpose in buying a acoustic is more of a prop so I want the body.. and really if you are giging try a good acoustic modeler.

fazool 04-11-2015 02:56 PM

As weird as this answer is.....

I have my second 1980/1981 Aria solid wood cedar dreadnought, model SW-8.

The neck feels exactly like my Gibson electrics.

harpspitfire 04-11-2015 03:24 PM

you probably think they are up to your level of playing, but some new washburns have rather slim necks and fast action, theres a GA with a solid top and rosewood back and sides, this would fit your size and action needs

popguy 04-11-2015 03:37 PM

Since I hear too often "I hate how ovations sound" I kind of ruled them out.

But on second thought....it might be a consideration.

I will try the washburns. Thanks.

Rmz76 04-11-2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popguy (Post 4447619)
I just came back from guitar center. Tried every guitar in the place in my price range...under $1000

Was going to buy an Eastman AC 322ce but I tried the Taylor 314Ce and it sounded good and played well....but I don't want a body that big and I want a slimmer neck. The Taylor 100 or 200 series has a slightly smaller neck but those guitars don't do it for me. GS mini is too mini for me.

I did like the neck on one of the Martin guitars but it was too expensive and that body seemed just too small.

I don't think I like the auditorium body for my needs.....playing gigs for long hours and I don't want to be wrapping my arms around such a deep body.
And I would like the neck to feel like an electric guitar neck....like a Gibson ES335. For sitting around and playing or even recording a Taylor 314 or Eastman AC322ce would be fine. But for playing out a lot I need total comfort and of course good sound to be able to concentrate on my vocals without my straining my hands.

My hands aren't super small but I guess they are small enough where I am just not comfortable with these big acoustics.

The only Taylor they had there with a concert body was over 2500....so that's out. I've heard only good things about Eastman. Can anyone suggest another Eastman Model that might be better in my price range....or another brand???

Believe it or not I tried a Rainsong and it was set up with light strings and had very fast action. Decent tone too. Too much for my budget.

Perhaps there is nothing in my budget with the specs I am looking for. I will have to settle for something.

And info would be appreciated.

You're probably looking for something with a D shape neck profile. I'd suggest checking out the Epiphone Masterbuilt DR-500MCE. Factory setup is light gauge strings, but the action on the one's I've tried is pretty low. If it's still a bit too much for you take it to a repair shop and tell them you want it setup for ultra-light strings.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Aco...DR-500MCE.aspx

DanPanther 04-11-2015 04:09 PM

As far as price, I'm a strong advocate of used gear.

Dan

Steve DeRosa 04-11-2015 04:21 PM

Check eBay or your local Craigslist for a '90s Taylor 312 or 412 grand concert, built in the days when Bob T's sales pitch was "the playability of a fine electric." Although advertised as 1-11/16" many of them from the early/mid-90's were in fact smaller - I've got a '96 maple 420 that comes in at ~1.65", with a '66-67 Gibson flat-C profile (think "large-guard" SG/"teaburst" 335) - so if you're a fan of thin fast necks (as I am), this is about as good as it's going to get without hunting down a mid-60's Gibson or early Gurian (neither of which you're likely to find for $1K); in addition, although they're comparably sized they tend to feel slimmer than a Martin 000/OM - unlike an Ovation (which I happen to like, BTW) that comes in close to a Larrivee L-body (~16") in overall dimensions. Be advised that the cutaway models and acoustic/electrics command a premium - however, you should be able to find a very-good to excellent-condition non-cutaway all-acoustic for $1K+/- ...

Kip Carter 04-11-2015 04:23 PM

I just bought this one Friday and it certainly feels like an electric and supposedly sounds like an acoustic. or... rather about 6 different ones... :)

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...psreksjszy.jpg

popguy 04-11-2015 04:23 PM

Hey RMZ.......the

Epiphone-Masterbilt-DR-500MCE-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-

The reviews are all 5 stars. You might have come up with a perfect solution.

And at a lower price than I was going to spend. I will try it tomorrow and I hope I like it as much as the many reviews I've read.

Great advice!

DavidE 04-11-2015 04:25 PM

If you're only playing plugged in, find a used Crafted SA

donh 04-11-2015 07:07 PM

An acoustic cannot actually feel like an electric. You can only try to fool yourself that it can.

Get an electric that sorta sounds acoustic and Be Happy. There are all kinds out there - they are all lying to you, but probably one of those lies will feel Just Fine and you can Be Happy. And it will be small under your arm as you have wished.