The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Played a Yamaha FG730 and was impressed is the LS6 as good (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269389)

Billm2067 10-18-2012 05:42 AM

Played a Yamaha FG730 and was impressed is the LS6 as good

I was at the local GC yesterday and played a Yamaha FG730. It was a very impressive looking guitar. The cosmetics led me to believe it had a much higher price tag than $299. What really impressed me was the way it sounded. There are very few guitars in that price range that sound that good. So this had me interested in what Yamaha has in their line. I really don't want or need another Dread...I am looking for an OM or Grand Concert size guitar. Looking at their line there are two that kind of have my interest. Yamaha makes an LS720 and the step up is into the LS6. I am very interested in the LS6 as I am looking to spend in the $500 range for a decent OM size guitar. The LS6 looks like it fits the bill, but there is no where in Central PA that I will find one...so I am looking for some feedback on this model. I have looked at the threads and there have been discussions about Yamaha's and many people seem to be very passionate about them. If the price is any indication...I would think the LS6 would be a great guitar (based on the quality/value that I saw in the FG730). I guess I am looking for some feedback.

My plans would be to buy an LS6 and put a K&K pure pickup in it for use on occasional solo jobs....although I have a Crafter SA (T5 copy) that I use most often. I just enjoy the balanced sound of an OM and would like to have something which plays and sounds good as an option for practice and use sometimes on a job.

steveyam 10-18-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billm67 (Post 3212644)
I was at the local GC yesterday and played a Yamaha FG730. It was a very impressive looking guitar. The cosmetics led me to believe it had a much higher price tag than $299. What really impressed me was the way it sounded. There are very few guitars in that price range that sound that good. So this had me interested in what Yamaha has in their line. I really don't want or need another Dread...I am looking for an OM or Grand Concert size guitar. Looking at their line there are two that kind of have my interest. Yamaha makes an LS720 and the step up is into the LS6. I am very interested in the LS6 as I am looking to spend in the $500 range for a decent OM size guitar. The LS6 looks like it fits the bill, but there is no where in Central PA that I will find one...so I am looking for some feedback on this model. I have looked at the threads and there have been discussions about Yamaha's and many people seem to be very passionate about them. If the price is any indication...I would think the LS6 would be a great guitar (based on the quality/value that I saw in the FG730). I guess I am looking for some feedback.

My plans would be to buy an LS6 and put a K&K pure pickup in it for use on occasional solo jobs....although I have a Crafter SA (T5 copy) that I use most often. I just enjoy the balanced sound of an OM and would like to have something which plays and sounds good as an option for practice and use sometimes on a job.

Good stuff. I have an LS16 that sounds great. It is solid rather than laminated as per LS6, but my bet would be that the LS6 would be a very nice guitar too. The LS16 is a focused, picking guitar with rich, tonefull mids. I think you'd need to try one (LS6 or 16) really though - difficult as that may be. But anyway, there you go.

wcap 10-18-2012 05:57 AM

I don't know these particular models, but I've played a number of different $300 - $500 Yamaha steel string guitars and have been surprised by how nice they were. Very satisfying guitars to play, regardless of price. I don't know whether they are all like this, but some, at least, certainly seem to be very nice. (On the other hand, personally, I have not liked the inexpensive Yamaha classical guitars I've played).

GHS 10-18-2012 06:27 AM

I own both the FG730s in cherry burst finish and the LS6. Both are very well made, fine sounding guitars. The LS6, when strung with Elixirs is may main guitar to accompany when singing while standing. Its smaller om size also makes it very comfortable to play seated. Just be advised it does have a 1 3/4" nut width while the FG has a 1 11/16. I seem to prefer the FG when fingerpicking, maybe Im just accustomed to the 11/16 nut or the neck profile, which is a bit shallower on the FG. I have found that John Pearse 600 lights work great on the FG. The neck is a bit thicker on the OM. They do have different voices and the OM, although smaller does have a great low end tone. The FG's are found everywhere but the LS6 is a bit hard to locate, even by me where there are approx twelve music stores in a 15 mile radius. I cannot say one is better that the other, construction quality is equal on both. Hope this info helps you out.:)

Opa John 10-18-2012 06:41 AM

I've had an FG730S, tobacco burst, for about three years now and I love it. Before I bought it, I compared it to the FS720S, which was about $30 less and, to my ears, the FG730S was just a much better sounding guitar. That could've been an isolated incident.......don't know.

For $200 more than the FG730S, the LS6 is going to give you a wider fretboard made of ebony instead of the rosewood fretboard on the FG. The LS6 is going to have an Englemann spruce top as opposed to the Sitka spruce top on the FG730S. That may be a selling feature for some. I happen to prefer Sitka over Englemann, but that's just me. The LS6 also gives you an ebony bridge and what Yamaha calls their "deluxe" gig bag, whatever that means.

My thoughts on these two guitars would tell me that if you're a finger style player, the LS6 may be the wiser choice. If you play using a pick, the FG730S would probably be the better choice.

As far as overall quality, I don't think either would be better than the other. I know for sure that the quality control and consistency of Yamaha's products is right up there with the best of them.

Either one of these guitars would serve you proudly.

Yamartin 10-18-2012 08:05 AM

Not sure where you are located in Central PA, but Pittsburgh Guitars is a Yamaha Rosewood dealer, and they usually carry a pretty good selection. I bought my LS-6 from them and was very satisfied with the experience. It might pay to check their website or give them a call if you decide to make the trip, just to be sure they have one to try. I am very happy with my LS-6, and it is the guitar that I keep in a stand so that I can pick it up anytime. It is also my usual travel guitar, just because I enjoy playing it so much. The smaller size is very comfortable, while the extra depth (over a traditional OM) adds to volume without discomfort. I have come to like the 1 3/4 nut width as well. Usuall superior Yamaha workmanship, fit and finish excellent, Stays in tune well and good intonation. Lots of features for the $--Engellmann top, ebony fretboard and bridge. Also it comes with a great nylon sided case (not fair to call this a gig bag) with molded interior and plush lining. Fits like a glove, and is my favorite case. I don't think you would be dissapointed with a LS-6 at all. I usually string mine with Martin SP lights (MSP7100).

Yamartin 10-18-2012 08:19 AM

You might also try Empire Music in Pittsburgh. I just checked thier website and they have the LS-6, FS720S, and FS700S in stock. Same size body, so you can A/B them. They also have a FG730S so you could try that as well.

clintj 10-18-2012 08:56 AM

Another fan of the 720! :) When I was shopping, the 720 got me looking at their lineup too. The one I picked up was fresh out of the box and still untagged. My first impression was that it was probably a $500-600 guitar. My jaw dropped when I found out the real price! I ended up buying an LL16, but I'm a fan of the dreadnought sound over an OM size. It handles fingerpicking quite well, and has plenty of headroom for flatpicking as well. By all means try one if you can, they are wonderful guitars for the money. A Colosi bone saddle gets my highest recommendation in these, as it really enhances the definition and clarity and gives it more sparkle. I went ahead and got the bone bridge pins at the same time. The bag, if it is the same as mine, is really nice. Form fitted high density foam with soft plush lining, and a generous outside pocket that will hold a few full size music books.

owlshead 10-18-2012 11:22 AM

Maybe it has been covered, but there is the FS720S which is based on the LS model

http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/mus...product_lineup

Billm2067 10-18-2012 11:59 AM

I am just outside Harrisburg. Not too many Yamaha's around here....GC has really hit the local shops hard.

Rock N' Roll 10-18-2012 04:37 PM

There is a good number of Yamaha guitars in the UK and where i stay instance ive tried several out ive tried the Yamaha FG 730s guitar in which was one of the better guitars i tried for sound and looks and theyre worth more than they are for sure, as for others you mentioned also very nice guitars although for the money but the FG 730s Yamaha was a very good guitar, and gets the top vote for me from all guitars in that price range also having tried a Seagull S6 acoustic and others but again the Yamaha FG 730s guitar is the best ive tried for price for sure

you cant go wrong in that model of acoustic guitar, but that is your choice and all the best and be nice if you can let us all know , in which way you have chosen and best to try yourself if you can all the many different guitars out
As for buying sight unseen , i got the Yamaha FG 730s quite recently unseen but bought brand new from the internet and is the best guitar in my opinion for choice , and better still with the bone saddle i received recently which gives this particular guitar a sound which rivals guitars double the price but it is your own choice and all the best with such ..

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...nlad1/band.gif

dhalbert 10-18-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owlshead (Post 3212948)
Maybe it has been covered, but there is the FS720S which is based on the LS model

http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/mus...product_lineup

The FS720S now has a lower-cost version, the FS700S (analogous to the FG7x0S lineup), which is starting to show up at US dealers. Strangely, the FS720S is no longer listed on the US website, but it's on the Canadian website (above) and the European websites. I have a query into Yamaha about this (followup: they said it is still in production).

SpiderTrap 10-19-2012 12:24 AM

Fs720s vs fg730s

I Almost purchased the FS720S Until I began comparing photos and noticed it was WAY WAY Smaller than I expected compared to the FG730S Which I already have NATURAL .The TOBACCO on the FS720S is what really looked sharp and I didnt realize they made the FG730S in tobacco, then I found one and man is it Sweet, Even sounds better than the Natural I think , but for the money , I've paid 3 times more for worse guitars decades ago ..The Dread Size fits me well ,as all 6 guitars are dreads, love their sound - 2 with Cedar tops . After Reading about strings again for the 100th time I ordered some DR SunBeams to try 11s & 12s . I Have one Alvarez AD90 that does not like 11's but all the other 5 guitars play fine with them . Presently using DUNLOPS PB and they sound excellent , so it's gonna be a toss up to see which sound better on which guitar . Cant go wrong with an FG730S if the Dread size fits your playing - Was Glad to hear the post the 720 didnt compare to the 730 because of smaller size, that's what I thought

Billm2067 10-19-2012 06:28 AM

I have a couple of Dreads and the reason I am interested in the LS6 is because it is an Orchestra/Grand Concert size. After a while you get tired of wrapping your arms around a dread and want something a little smaller and more comfortable to play. The overall balance of an OM is different but the sound can be spectacular. I had a Larrivvee OM-03r that was a terrific all around guitar. It loaded up under heavy strumming...but for light strumming, arpegiated picking and fingerpicking with was fantastic.

GHS 10-19-2012 10:07 AM

The LS6 can take it. I use it to strum/fingerpick when singing and never had a problem. If you cant find one to try, check with GC. They ordered one for me and had it shipped to the store with the understanding if I did not like it I was not obligated to take it home. Worked out fine, three years later I use it all the time.