The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   String advice for Martin OMCPA4? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306020)

Wildgift 08-10-2013 02:27 PM

String advice for Martin OMCPA4?

Just got a new OMCPA4. After an ill-advised foray into polyweb custom lights, I got some lifespan 80/20 lights on sale. They sound ok. Could I do better? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Guest316 08-10-2013 03:45 PM

Human Beings have no business choosing guitar strings for an instrument - only the guitar can decide what works lol. I'm fond of John Pearse lately on my Bird, and the Epi goes for D'Addario EXPs. Your circumstance requires experimentation - Take the next 6 months and go wild with all kinds of different string brands, and let the guitar decide. Remember: Martins are smarter than Humans. :)

DenverSteve 08-10-2013 11:25 PM

It depends on what you are looking for. I keep Martin strings on my Martins. I haven't played around with a lot of Lifespan strings but have used the SP (4100) strings for years. They come in the 4100+ coated as well.

Wildgift 08-10-2013 11:30 PM

I put on a set of Elixir nanowebs .012-.053. So far so good. I had these on my ovation and they sound good here too so we shall see. Other suggestions most welcome.

brencat 08-10-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildgift (Post 3579574)
Just got a new OMCPA4. After an ill-advised foray into polyweb custom lights, I got some lifespan 80/20 lights on sale. They sound ok. Could I do better? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

When I owned my GPCPA4, my absolute fav on that guitar were the DR Sunbeam PB Mediums in 12-54 gauge.

Wildgift 08-11-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brencat (Post 3579965)
When I owned my GPCPA4, my absolute fav on that guitar were the DR Sunbeam PB Mediums in 12-54 gauge.

I'll order a set. But the dang flab elixirs are easily good for a few months!! Quite the quandary !

Jersey tuning 08-11-2013 05:29 AM

Go to GC. Get a string club membrship for twenty bucks. Gets you $5 towards strings every month for a year. Try a different brand each month. John Pearse for sure in different gauges and PB vs 80-20. Markely vintage. EXP's fer sure-- like them better than elixirs. Go nuts. If you're considering custom lights for some reason try Martin silk & steel lights.

Wildgift 08-11-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey tuning (Post 3580047)
Go to GC. Get a string club membrship for twenty bucks. Gets you $5 towards strings every month for a year. Try a different brand each month. John Pearse for sure in different gauges and PB vs 80-20. Markely vintage. EXP's fer sure-- like them better than elixirs. Go nuts. If you're considering custom lights for some reason try Martin silk & steel lights.

Cool. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

RussMason 08-12-2013 03:21 AM

My thoughts

Unless your hands sweat a lot, there is no reason to buy coated strings. A good set of uncoated strings will last a long time, provided you keep them clean. Also, any coating on a string will dampen the sound somewhat.

Probably the best strings for your guitar are Newtone Master Class. They cost more than Martin strings (also excellent) but I like the gauges:
12, 16, 24, 34, 44, 54

Plain Martin phosphor bronze (lights 12-54) are very fine also. You might also try Darco (made by Martin and are identical to the Martin brand, also the Eric Clapton brand). The SPs may last a little longer as the core wires are bronze coated. A slightly warmer sound than plain Martin strings.

I don't care for D'Addario phosphor bronze lights at all - they are way too harsh and the low E string is a 53. 54 is better suited to your guitar.

One string set that I do like very much is GHS Laurence Juber signature bronze. They are also bronze-coaded (core wires) and are cryogenically treated, so they may last a bit longer than conventional strings. These strings are especially good for bending, for blues, that sort of thing.

Wildgift 08-12-2013 03:06 PM

Russ, many thanks for the detailed reply. I'll put them all on my list. I'm going to do the GC string club--it will pay for itself and I live near one as well.

Thanks again!

Wildgift 08-12-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussMason (Post 3581060)
Unless your hands sweat a lot, there is no reason to buy coated strings. A good set of uncoated strings will last a long time, provided you keep them clean. Also, any coating on a string will dampen the sound somewhat.

Probably the best strings for your guitar are Newtone Master Class. They cost more than Martin strings (also excellent) but I like the gauges:
12, 16, 24, 34, 44, 54

Plain Martin phosphor bronze (lights 12-54) are very fine also. You might also try Darco (made by Martin and are identical to the Martin brand, also the Eric Clapton brand). The SPs may last a little longer as the core wires are bronze coated. A slightly warmer sound than plain Martin strings.

I don't care for D'Addario phosphor bronze lights at all - they are way too harsh and the low E string is a 53. 54 is better suited to your guitar.

One string set that I do like very much is GHS Laurence Juber signature bronze. They are also bronze-coaded (core wires) and are cryogenically treated, so they may last a bit longer than conventional strings. These strings are especially good for bending, for blues, that sort of thing.

Hey, quick question: Do you mean Martin MSP4100? M540? The array is really bewildering! Thanks!

JohnnyDes 08-12-2013 03:33 PM

I always start any new guitar off with D'Addario EJ16 strings. Then I take it from there. If I want a little darker, maybe John Pearse. If I want brighter, I move to 80/20 strings (like the Lifespan 80/20). But EJ16s bring out the best in most of my guitars.

JD

brian a. 08-12-2013 03:56 PM

Martin Recommended Strings for the OMCPA4 are: Martin SP Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Light Gauge (MSP7100)

I would recommend you stay with light gauge strings while you test out other possible choices.

Wildgift 08-12-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian a. (Post 3581784)
Martin Recommended Strings for the OMCPA4 are: Martin SP Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Light Gauge (MSP7100)

I would recommend you stay with light gauge strings while you test out other possible choices.

Yes, I plan to stay with that gauge. I tried some .011 polywebs and was not pleased. I want to see, though, if I can get a sound better than the lifespans.

thanks!