The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Cost-effective multitrack recorder w/ 8 XLRs? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454176)

MaurysMusic 12-27-2016 03:47 PM

Cost-effective multitrack recorder w/ 8 XLRs?

Hi folks. As some of you know, I do a lot of 1-2 channel recordings for our shop

but lately we're seeing 4-5 piece bands drop by.

I would love the ability to record 8 simultaneous tracks and have the luxury of mixing down later.

I want a stand-alone recorder that has at least 8 XLRs and can record those 8 inputs simultaneously. I've been looking around at stuff from Zoom & Tascam so far. I know I could use my Mac but it's in the studio, 3 rooms away, so for this project I won't consider a sound card or XLR USB device.

What are you using & how do you like it?

JohnDWilliams 12-27-2016 05:38 PM

Tascam DP24 is working very well. Effects are reasonable and it has been reliable. Have released two projects and many demos in the two years I've had mine.

I generally use good mics and preamps but have had fine results with the on board pres too. Mastering effects are also useable if you get good tracks to begin with and are conservative with them.

sunpowder 12-27-2016 10:12 PM

Although I have no experience with it personally, I recall the Korg D888 getting great reviews when it came out...and probably can be had pretty cheap on the used market:

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-d888

Rudy4 12-27-2016 11:51 PM

I've done 3 full CD projects with my Zoom R24. It does exactly what you want to do.

A few simple tips; record at 24 bit and use condenser mics rather than dynamics. There are a few good choices in dynamic mics for recording, but the R24 preamps lack enough clean gain for recording a sufficient signal without cranking the gains up past where they should be run. Inexpensive condensers work fine.

I have a friend that has a D888 that is moth-balled; it has a well-known issue with REALLY long save times (as long as the actual real-time recording), making it very difficult to use. I would advise against used equipment, too. This stuff is cheap enough now it's not worth the risk. I've seen the Zoom R series running at a sale price of $100 off about a year ago, so there are some deals on new equipment. A few multi-tracks record at 16 bit, I'd pass them by.

http://www.hangoutstorage.com/banjoh...4813722016.jpg

RustyAxe 12-28-2016 09:15 AM

My duo partner and I did a CD ... recorded on my Tascam DP24, then exported and edited on my Mac in Reaper. I've had the DP24 for a couple of years now, and like it fine.

MaurysMusic 12-28-2016 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the advice so far! Right now, I'm set up to record 2 tracks to an iMac 1 room away, 1 stereo track direct to the DSLR, and 3 more tracks to my Tascam DR-60D. I'm looking forward to getting an all-in-one. ;)

MaurysMusic 12-28-2016 06:42 PM

It was a toss up between Tascam DP-24 & Zoom R-24. Our local mom & pop had the Tascam in stock so I grabbed it today. Watch our YouTube channel next week to find out what she sounds like. :)

Ty Ford 12-29-2016 06:58 AM

Zoom F8.

jim1960 12-29-2016 10:04 AM

FYI... The Tascam DP-24SD is on sale today only at MF for $299.

Rudy4 12-29-2016 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1960 (Post 5173479)

A great price! I almost considered going the Tascam route but opted for the Zoom R24 because it's dead easy to record with; it's almost as easy as the old cassette recorders. No menus to deal with since I want to record with no input effects that limit what I can do at editing time. Once you record with EQ, reverb, etc. you don't have the option of going back. I decided I wanted something that could be set up very quickly for audio capture only, with tracks exported to DAW on a PC for editing.

The Tascam looks to be a really nice unit, though. Especially at that price...

jim1960 12-29-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy4 (Post 5174084)
I want to record with no input effects that limit what I can do at editing time. Once you record with EQ, reverb, etc. you don't have the option of going back.

I have the same philosophy. The only effect I might use on the way in is compression, and that's only if there's a very wide dynamic range in the performance. When I do use it, I use it very sparingly.

MaurysMusic 01-06-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1960 (Post 5173479)

wow thanks! Bad timing on my part for sure. #rats

MaurysMusic 01-10-2017 04:39 PM

UPDATE! I had a couple of old friends drop by, and I thought I'd just go with the 1 shotgun mic approach - but alas ... they had a banjo! That caused me to close mic everything and I got the chance to play with 4 tracks on my DP-24. Please take a listen & let me know what you think!

Pat & Shane McGeehan dropped by Maury's Music.

Northward 01-12-2017 11:25 AM

Cost-effective multitrack recorder w/ 8 XLRs?

deleted post