The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Taylor 612c (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74075)

gianluca 01-23-2006 06:23 PM

Taylor 612c

Hi. What about a taylor 612c made in 1995 - perfect conditions; spruce - flamed maple? Any opinion? A friend of mine wants to sell it to me and I'm thinking...
Thanks. :D

sirflyguy2000 01-23-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gianluca
Hi. What about a taylor 612c made in 1995 - perfect conditions; spruce - flamed maple? Any opinion? A friend of mine wants to sell it to me and I'm thinking...
Thanks. :D

I have a '99 in quilted maple. The neck is pre-NT. Great guitar, and really sits well in a mix (very few overtones to muck things up). Very pure sonically. The guy that owned it previously had played it a lot, so it was broken in well. Play it, and if it floats your boat, BUY IT!

Herb Hunter 01-23-2006 06:32 PM

It would be easier to give you a meaningful answer if you were to ask a specific question.

If you like it buy it. There are a few people that prefer the older (before 1999) maple guitars because they don't have a fingerjoint at the headstock.

gianluca 01-23-2006 06:32 PM

Thanks!!!! Ah, ok ... the specific question is: I own two Taylor guitars; to me having another one make sense; is it a sort of "illness"? ;) :D

Herb Hunter 01-23-2006 06:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks!!!! Ah, ok ... the specific question is: I own two Taylor guitars; to me having another one make sense; is it a sort of "illness"? ;) :D

If it is, an illness then I'm terminal. I have 8 Taylors, 9 if I include the Big Baby.

gianluca 01-23-2006 06:59 PM

Great! Those guitars are incredible to me! :up:

chuck 01-23-2006 07:06 PM

Of course it's an illness, or an addiction. It depends on how you look at it. Either way, you have come to the right place if you are looking for validation regarding the purchace of another guitar. if you like the guitar and can afford it, go for it! :up:

Kaimana450k 01-23-2006 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb Hunter
If it is, than illness then I'm terminal. I have 8 Taylors, 9 if I include the Big Baby.

I must be just as bad, I have only 6 and I don't even know how to play it! No what do I do with these strings that came with it?

reags 01-23-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaimana450k
I must be just as bad, I have only 6 and I don't even know how to play it! No what do I do with these strings that came with it?

I hear Elixirs are great for daily flossing :lol:

dalton206 01-24-2006 08:13 AM

I've been looking for a 612C for awhile. If you decide not to purchase the guitar, have your friend get in touch with me. I'm very interested!

Taylorplayer 01-24-2006 10:53 AM

That's an easy one for sure. My first taylor was (is) a 98 612ce. I've owned scads of them since. Right now, I am planning to sell off several primo guitars.... becuase of all the sweet ones i have, the 612 is the one I "go to" first every time!

Send me a picture and I'll evaluatite for you if you like, and offer my thoughts in return.

Sounds like a good one to give some serious thought to.

cotten 01-24-2006 11:07 AM

I have a '95 "Cotten Special" 612c - my "own" signature model, whoo-hoo! http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo...mit=&x=11&y=10 Only about 80 were made, for Cotten Music Center in Nashville. Unfortunately, no relation. We have two or three other Cotten 612c owners among us as well.

This is one sweet little guitar. It is perfect for my practice and relaxation at home, though it mics very easily. (No pickup as yet, though I'm leaning toward a K&K Trinity when the time comes.) It responds to fingerstyle extremely well, but I've been surprised at how well it handles moderate strumming as well. It doesn't sound like a dread, but it's voice is big and distinctive enough to be heard when playing with several of them.

While I don't mind the NT neck, actually I prefer it if it's hidden cosmetically, I've had absolutely no issues other than enjoyment with my '95 612. It may not be what everyone needs, but it sure hit the spot with me!

cotten

gianluca 01-24-2006 03:48 PM

Thanks again!
Dalton I've decided to buy it in the end. Anyway I hope that Taylorplayer can help you to find this guitar.;)
To me it sounds very nice and has all the qualities that Cotten spoke about... it isn't "pretty" like the "Cotten special" though:up:. :D

LarryH in Texas 01-25-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Yes, it's called Taylor Acquisition Syndrome, or TAS for short.

Dadmac 01-25-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb Hunter
... There are a few people that prefer the older (before 1999) maple guitars because they don't have a fingerjoint at the headstock.

AND because they have a mahoganny neck which (in my opinion) sounds much better then the maple neck (way too brittle)!