The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Seagull S6 Spruce slim nut vs. Epiphone Masterbily DR500mce (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464719)

FluffyDog6 03-27-2017 08:50 PM

Seagull S6 Spruce slim nut vs. Epiphone Masterbily DR500mce

Have the chance for either Seagull accoustic/electric gloss top spruce (with the slim nut), or a Epiphone Masterbuilt DR500 for about the same money. (both used and in like-new condition)

I have read good things about both models.

Anyone care to make a suggestion as to which they would prefer if it was their choice?

silvertonebetty 03-27-2017 09:09 PM

Seagull all the way .canadian make ,solid top https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cbdaee0b92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBman 03-27-2017 09:13 PM

I like them both. I own a Seagull Folk and had a Masterbuilt DR-500R. If you can play the Masterbuilt, just check to see if the bridge is lifting (see if you can slide paper any where under the edge of the bridge.)

silvertonebetty 03-27-2017 09:14 PM

The dr-500r is also China made sadly. Was looking at one a few weeks ago

Deadduck 03-27-2017 09:24 PM

Hard to beat a Seagull for the money, and made in the western hemisphere if that makes a difference to you. I haven't played the Epi though.

Mystery123 03-28-2017 09:35 AM

Wait for comments from those who actually have played both otherwise you'll get I had Seagull and it's great vs I had Masterbilt and it was great without any real comparison.
I think Masterbilt is all solid, not just top solid like Seagull S6.

I had S6 and hated it. It sounded worse than my Yamaha FS700S and other Yamaha guitars I had that time.
Surprisingly, the Simon and Patrick SP6 sounded way better than Seagull even though both are from same company.

silvertonebetty 03-28-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystery123 (Post 5285195)
Wait for comments from those who actually have played both otherwise you'll get I had Seagull and it's great vs I had Masterbilt and it was great without any real comparison.

I think Masterbilt is all solid, not just top solid like Seagull S6.

I had S6 and hated it. It sounded worse than my Yamaha FS700S.

I believe the master is all solid

Nyghthawk 03-28-2017 09:39 AM

Masterbilt DR-500mce's are NOT made in China. They are made in Indonesia. They are all solid. The one I have is very nice. Warm woody tone with lots of sustain. Dual pickups, built in tuner. I love Seagulls but the Masterbilt would be a better buy all other things being equal.

nitram 03-28-2017 09:39 AM

I've owned the Masterbilt for about 3 years and it's been great. As pointed out-it's solid wood all around and , after I set it up the action and playability are very comfortable. I've tried the Seagull and, in spite of being a Canadian, I'd have to say Masterbilt is superior. IMHO.

geetaruke 03-28-2017 09:42 AM

Must've been a rare dud.

The epi is all solid but this is one occasion where I'd personally choose the laminate back and sides anyhow.

The Epi's can be good but I've found too much inconsistency among models. I think that the Seagull cedar over cherry is a winning wood combo that really is the brands bread and butter.

Much in the same way, I prefer the S6 to some all solid Seagulls as well.

silvertonebetty 03-28-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyghthawk (Post 5285201)
Masterbilt DR-500mce's are NOT made in China. They are made in Indonesia. They are all solid. The one I have is very nice. Warm woody tone with lots of sustain. Dual pickups, built in tuner. I love Seagulls but the Masterbilt would be a better buy all other things being equal.

The one I saw last week was made in China lol. All epiphone now are made there

roylor4 03-28-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geetaruke (Post 5285207)
Must've been a rare dud.

The epi is all solid but this is one occasion where I'd personally choose the laminate back and sides anyhow.

The Epi's can be good but I've found too much inconsistency among models. I think that the Seagull cedar over cherry is a winning wood combo that really is the brands bread and butter.

Much in the same way, I prefer the S6 to some all solid Seagulls as well.

I used to buy and sell refurbs on Ebay and have sold several Masterbilts.

They used to be pretty inconsistent, I can't say about the newer ones. The best ones i ever player were all sans electronics.

A good Masterbilt sounds way better than the average S6, but a bad one sounds way worse.

The Masterbilt electronics sound pretty doggone good but can also be trouble prone.

If possible, try before you buy.

SFCRetired 03-28-2017 10:41 AM

I hate when people suggest things you don't ask about but what the heck.:D

Save yourself some aggravation and buy a Martin DM, the old road series. It will blow both of those guitars out of the water.

I had a slim S6 and it was the best playing guitar I have ever played. Loved the 1.72 nut. Sound wise it was very average to my ears. I played a Masterbuilt Epi 500 and was disappointed. The DM I have is a better guitar than either of them and around the same price. Some people ask more for them but GC has a couple used ones in the 500 dollar range. I even saw a used D16RGTE at GC for less than 700.

Nyghthawk 03-28-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvertonebetty (Post 5285214)
The one I saw last week was made in China lol. All epiphone now are made there

Wrong. This is the Sweetwater Guitar Gallery site. Note all the Epiphone acoustics are marked Made In Indonesia on the picture of the back of the headstock.

https://www.sweetwater.com/guitargal...GlwaG9uZSJdfX0

silvertonebetty 03-28-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyghthawk (Post 5285378)
Wrong. This is the Sweetwater Guitar Gallery site. Note all the Epiphone acoustics are marked Made In Indonesia on the picture of the back of the headstock.

https://www.sweetwater.com/guitargal...GlwaG9uZSJdfX0

Wow why do I bother posting when every one gonna claim I don't know what I'm talking about. Also my sisters epi acoustic is also China made.