The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Opinion of Takamine "lawsuit" Dreads (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138943)

apshaffer 11-06-2008 04:04 PM

Opinion of Takamine "lawsuit" Dreads

I have a chance to purchase an f370s from 1974. Anyone know roughly what they are worth? Opinion on their quality, sound, etc? Thanks.

vti814ce 11-06-2008 04:06 PM

I dont know about the retail value, but in general all Takamines are pretty sweet! IMO, those were very nice from what I remember of them.

Sammy

HHP 11-06-2008 04:21 PM

My friend has an F340 lawsuit and I have an F-349 from 1st year after lawsuit. For as little as they cost, they are far better than today's budget imports including the lower end Takamine's. Values vary wildly but leave room in the budget for a pro set up as most seem to need them.

jpfeiff 11-06-2008 05:53 PM

I've got a lawsuit EF-340S that I bought back in 1983 for a little over $xxx. It has opened up into a VERY nice guitar. They generally sell on eBay for a little over $xxx--same I paid over 20 years ago!!

Bruce E 11-06-2008 06:44 PM

I have an F360S which I purchased new in 1981, but the serial number dates it to 1978. It has often been mistaken for a D28. I'm not sure even an expert could distinguish it from a D28 in a blind test.

brian a. 11-06-2008 06:47 PM

the "s" stands for solid top. The solid topped models typically sound better than the all laminated models. I have played some of these guitars that were excellent and an incredible value. Some of the best Taks I have seen.

The date of manufacture is usually stamped on the side of one of the top braces and visible through the sound hole.

+1 on jpfeiff's value.

Here is the Takamine website info for this model:

F370S

Dreadnaught Series Acoustic

Body Shape: Dreadnaught
Rosette:
Top: Solid Spruce
Inlays: Dots
Back: Jacaranda
Sides: Jacaranda
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Electronics: None
Tuners: Deluxe Chrome
Features:

jackstrat 11-07-2008 07:21 AM

I have one, bought it new a zillion years ago. A music store clerk said it was worth $$$$$ but found out that was not true.

They sound okay, not great. Mine had the 1-5/8" neck which over the years became too thin for me.

Jack

Forensicguy 11-07-2008 07:56 AM

My first acoustic (back around 1976) was a lawsuit F340S. I've always regretted selling that to help fund another guitar! I kept it for over 25 years too... :(

Great guitar for the money!

Neil K Walk 11-07-2008 02:20 PM

Mine's taken a beating over its long life and it's still holding together and sounds better than some of the lower-end Martins I've played. I'd even dare to say that I've played a few "real" D-28s that didn't sound as good, though I'd admittedly be biased. Still, for less than the price of a current G-series you're getting more bang for the buck IMO.

KOa-KoA 11-07-2008 06:42 PM

Takamine lawsuit

I have a Takamine F340 made in 1972. I noticed it doesn't have the 'S' on the label but it does appear to be a solid top. Wondering if anyone knows?
My bridge is lifting but it plays great! :)

SMan 11-07-2008 07:05 PM

I have a 1977 F360S that I stripped the finish off and put a tru oil finish on. Plays great and I have had it since the early 90's.

I also have a EF385 12 string. It has a laminate top.

Lastly I have a F307 small body all laminate with adjustable bridge.

They are all good players for what they are.

MCanup 11-07-2008 07:11 PM

I've got a '77 F400 that I keep GHS Leo Kottke heavy strings on and tuned down to open Eb (usually). The price I paid for it helps me to afford to let it stay set up for specific stuff. Anyway, my experience is that the lawsuit guitars are well worth the cost you can pick them up for.

Neil K Walk 11-07-2008 10:43 PM

Kinda OT, but for you F360S owners out there, how are the bridges holding up and how's the tone? My lam-top F360 has a decent bass response and sustain (though the mids are muted and the trebles brittle) but due to extended periods of storage under full string tension and above 80*F temps the top has bellied and the bridge has lifted up on occasion.

Also, has anyone with a 30+/- year-old lawsuit Tak had a neck reset done? If so, did you go through with it and were you able to justify the cost? Mine needed one but the cost would have exceeded the value of the guitar so I had the luthier put a block underneath the fretboard extension instead to help shore up the neck joint. It's holding but it ain't pretty. Still the guitar has been getting the majority of my playing time, though sometimes I wonder if the tone would be better if it had had a solid top.

jpfeiff 11-07-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwakatak (Post 1648101)

Also, has anyone with a 30+/- year-old lawsuit Tak had a neck reset done? If so, did you go through with it and were you able to justify the cost? Mine needed one but the cost would have exceeded the value of the guitar so I had the luthier put a block underneath the fretboard extension instead to help shore up the neck joint. It's holding but it ain't pretty. Still the guitar has been getting the majority of my playing time, though sometimes I wonder if the tone would be better if it had had a solid top.

Absolutely the tone would be better with a solid top! My solid top EF340S from 1984 matured and opened up incredibly over the years. Really, the greatest improvement in tone occurred in the last five or so years. I have taken pretty good care of it--stored in case, properly humidified, and it has not needed a neck reset. I did have new frets installed a few years back. As far as I'm concerned, it sings as well as many a Martin I've played. Nonetheless, due its low monetary value, it has become my travel and campfire guitar--can't justify pullling the Santa Cruz out around a smoky campfire!

SMan 11-08-2008 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwakatak (Post 1648101)
Kinda OT, but for you F360S owners out there, how are the bridges holding up and how's the tone? My lam-top F360 has a decent bass response and sustain (though the mids are muted and the trebles brittle) but due to extended periods of storage under full string tension and above 80*F temps the top has bellied and the bridge has lifted up on occasion.

My F360S top is still in great shape. I have an old EKO 12 string which I bought in Germany that had laminate top issues where it bellied. I added a "bridge doctor" and it corrected it.

My opinion after having both solid and laminate top Tak's is that the solid top has much fuller, louder, and warmer sound.