The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Limited edition Taylor 810-WMB?? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300)

Hap 05-28-2001 04:21 PM

Limited edition Taylor 810-WMB??

Played a Taylor 810-WMB yesterday and was truly impressed. Am thinking about buying it, and am looking for info about this limited edition from 1997. Did not find any info on the Taylor net site, BTW.

I was told it is a Taylor Custom Shop guitar, part of a limited run series of about 275 guitars, and that it has a 900 series rosewood back and sides, premium grade sitka spruce top. It also has wood biding with bloodwood purfling, abalone rosette, ebony fretboard. The WMB is supposed to stand for "wood binding, more bass", and I was told it has slightly different bracing to allow a fuller, tighter bass.

To my ear, the tone was like a cross between a Martin and a Taylor - think Martin bottom end matched to the clarity of Taylor mids and highs. Truly a very nice guitar.

Anyone out there have an 810-WMB, or know something about them? Thanks.

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: Hap ]

05-28-2001 06:56 PM

All I can add is that I've heard "WMB" means "with more bass". :D

Bob

Hap 05-28-2001 08:10 PM

Thanks, Bob. This guitar definitely has bass, yet it doesn't overpower. I've owned a regular Taylor 810 before and this guitar has a much richer bottom end that is not overpowering, it just blends with the normal Taylor clear mids and highs and results in a very well balanced sound. Deep, loud and crystal clear, range like a grand piano.

I'm thinking seriously about buying it, so, again, would appreciate any info anyone out there may have.

A couple of other things to mention about the guitar: first, no pickguard, which is unusual for a Taylor; second, no white edge binding; the binding is rosewood, with red purfling, and it also has a thin line of rosewood binding around the inside edge of the soundhole.

trombone 05-28-2001 08:30 PM

No offense, Bob, but I believe Hap was right on the wood binding, more bass.
I asked the Taylor guys when I went to the winter '99 NAMM show. The curiosity had been killing me!

Hap 05-28-2001 11:26 PM

Trombone, any chance you have some promotional material lying around from your NAMM visit? Also, did you get a chance to play one?

Dancing Bear 05-29-2001 01:45 AM

Hey Hap
I remember the WMB and on initial release it was in wood and steel. If I remember right it was supposed to be a redesign of the body chamber area around the 14th fret. A more open space on the neck side. Saw one once but had an 810 at the time . Couldnt really tell that much difference between it and my three piece back for tone.Rosewood looked the same outside of the wood binding and purfiling everything else the same.WMB with more bass.
Best answer If you like It go for It.

Hap 05-29-2001 01:54 PM

Thanks DB. Anyone have a Wood & Steel from '97 lying around, or know where I could find one?