The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What is the best Taylor for fingerstyle? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106969)

merkka 08-27-2007 12:48 AM

What is the best Taylor for fingerstyle?

What is your opinion, what is the the best Taylor for playing fingerstyle and what makes it the best (body shape, nut width etc.)?

Colbyjack 08-27-2007 01:37 AM

Hi,

The beauty of Taylors is that pretty much all of them do fingerstyle well. So if you pick GS; GA; or even DN or Jumbo (Leo Kottke plays a jumbo), you'll get a quality sound.

Yet IMO the best choices are:

1st choice: GC (Grand Concert) body size is a strong #1 for me.

2nd choice: GA (Grand Auditorium)

3rd choice: GS (Grand Symphony)

The wood combo depends on what sound you like, where your playing, and with whom (if anyone). Your ear will most likely lead you to what you like the most as far as the woods.

My choices are:

1st choice: Koa sides and back, Englemann Spruce top (GC body size)

2nd choice: Mahogany sides and back, cedar top (GC5 model)

3rd choice: Rosewood sides and back, cedar top (GC7 model)

4th choice: Maple sides and back, sitka spruce top (GSMS model)

Colbyjack 08-27-2007 01:40 AM

Nut width

Oh.....and nut width....

The opinions will vary, and IMO none of them are "wrong":

1 3/4" is my first choice by a long way

1 7/8" is second

1 11/16 distant third

swiftz07 08-27-2007 04:15 AM

my picks would be 512ce, 714ce.

cedar tops just lend a different sound to the signature taylor tone somehow..to my ears at least. u still get that bright clear taylor tone, but sweeter. i don't know how better to describe its tone...go to a store, line up a few models that tickle your fancy and try them! might beat any review you get here on the forum :)

i've heard good reviews of the GSRC (GS7) as well, though i've never had the opportunity to try one myself.

might want to check out the 06' fall limited 714ce (engelmann top) as well! cheers~

DamianL 08-27-2007 06:32 AM

I can safely say, although i realise that it sounds a bit extreme, that i have never found a Taylor i like for fingerstyle...ever...

They just all sound too "tight" for me...

I am quite sure there are good uns out there but i just haven't ever come across them..

I always think that its down to the fact that they are (mostly) designed to be amplified at least some of the time , something i never have to do...

Wouldn't mind havin a crack at some R Taylors though...

And maybe i just don't have a clue..,ha aha

D

Turp 08-27-2007 07:28 AM

Cedar

My pick.

#1 GA7 or 714 Rosewood/Cedar
Very responsive yet stable under a moderately aggressive attack.

I agree with the earlier comment that the cedar makes the tone sweeter. Taylor w/ spruce tops are bright and I feel the cedar mantains the clarity but smooth out those highs. I was afraid it would muddy the sound but that's not the case. Cedar responds great to a light attack and still maintains tone with moderate attacks. As far as nut width, 1 3/4" is the most often found is dependant on the player. IMHO the Taylor necks are very playable.

Bobby1note 08-27-2007 07:48 AM

My favourite of those that I've played, is the 714 w/cedar top. My 810ce is no slouch either, but that 714 impressed me with it's beautiful warm tone and playability.

Bob

SongwriterFan 08-27-2007 09:08 AM

Maple/Spruce GS!

MissouriPicker 08-27-2007 09:31 AM

Any Taylor that has the sound "you" want and has a great neck for "your" hands, and is set-up for "you" is the best Taylor for fingerpicking for "you."

JDM814 08-27-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turp (Post 1251074)
My pick.

#1 GA7 or 714 Rosewood/Cedar
Very responsive yet stable under a moderately aggressive attack.

I agree with the earlier comment that the cedar makes the tone sweeter. Taylor w/ spruce tops are bright and I feel the cedar mantains the clarity but smooth out those highs. I was afraid it would muddy the sound but that's not the case. Cedar responds great to a light attack and still maintains tone with moderate attacks. As far as nut width, 1 3/4" is the most often found is dependant on the player. IMHO the Taylor necks are very playable.

Well said...:) another vote for 714 ce Rosewood/Cedar

trovador 08-27-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissouriPicker (Post 1251145)
Any Taylor that has the sound "you" want and has a great neck for "your" hands, and is set-up for "you" is the best Taylor for fingerpicking for "you."

Agreed! I play mostly fingerstyle. You should take time playing different models and choose the one that "speaks" to you. You might be surprised. I thought cedar and rosewood was THE best option. Then I compared different models and a koa model was the one that I kept coming back to.

Herb Hunter 08-27-2007 10:43 AM

The best Taylor for finger style playing is the one you like the best. It could be a GC, GA, GS, Dreadnought or Jumbo. I tend to prefer the grand auditoriums. The grand concerts don't have a strong enough bass response for me. Amoung my GAs, it tends to be the 814c. I don't have a GS but have played a few with which I'd be happy playing finger style. What makes my 814 the best, for me, is its tone and responsiveness. What matters is what appeals to you not me.

RP 08-27-2007 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby1note (Post 1251089)
My favourite of those that I've played, is the 714 w/cedar top. My 810ce is no slouch either, but that 714 impressed me with it's beautiful warm tone and playability.

Bob

Amen to the GA7.....great combination of tone and playability.

mckejoel 08-27-2007 01:49 PM

I had a 914ce which was a great guitar for fingerstyle, flatpicking, and strumming.
I specifically bought my 2007 Taylor 812ce with a redwood top as a fingerstyle guitar.
I would be hard pressed to find another guitar that I would replace it with.
The Grand Concert guitar is very well suited to fingerstyle players...or it definitely is for me anyway. :guitar:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/01_812ce.jpg