The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Does Maple open up like Rosewood? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213812)

mach5 04-15-2011 07:13 AM

Does Maple open up like Rosewood?

I usually hear how Rosewood & other woods "open up" after playing them for a while. Since Maple is a harder wood, does it go through the same process as much?

Jeff M 04-15-2011 07:33 AM

Perhaps. Perhaps not.
Depends largely on whether you believe "opening up" is a real phenomenon, whether you can hear it if it does happen, or may imagine it has when it hasn't.

Moot point though.
Best not to base your decision to purchase a guitar on how well it's tonewoods are supposed to "open up" or not.
If you don't like a guitar at first, don't expect it to "open up" to the point where you will.
As long as you buy guitars you like the sound of, if they never "open up" you'll still have guitars you like.

ljguitar 04-15-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach5 (Post 2583364)
I usually hear how Rosewood & other woods "open up" after playing them for a while. Since Maple is a harder wood, does it go through the same process as much?

Hi m5…
I have two friends with Jumbo Taylor Maple guitars, and I have known both guitars (as well as the owners) for over a decade.

Both guitars have developed really nicely in the tone department, and one is played by this big burly 6'5'' guy who strings it with bailing wire (ok mediums) and fingerstyles and sings with this big operatic voice and that guitar has developed the ability to keep up with his voice (it couldn't a decade ago).

The other was purchased used, and has been episodically stored and played, and it is much richer and fuller sounding than when it came to live at this particular friend's house. In fact I've told him if he ever decides to sell it (he kind of collects and hangs onto Taylors) I want to know.

It is truly a wonderfully mellow instrument and breaks the stereotypical expectation of what a 'Maple' guitar should sound like for me. It too is a far different guitar than when it came to live there. I've played both dozens of times.

It's not the strings, and it's not the players; those guitars have developed better voices no matter who gets on the backside of them.

devellis 04-15-2011 03:11 PM

I've always assumed -- perhaps incorrectly -- that any opening up that occurs involves changes in the top more than in the back and sides. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say.

sfden1 04-15-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devellis (Post 2583909)
I've always assumed -- perhaps incorrectly -- that any opening up that occurs involves changes in the top more than in the back and sides. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say.

That was my assumption as well.

Gypsyblue 04-15-2011 03:31 PM

I think pretty much all guitars "open up" over time, especially the more they're played. That's been my experience anyway. Even solid body electric guitars and laminated top, back and sides acoustics seem to sound better when they're twenty or thirty years old. I'm old enough to remember when the Fender company was bought out by CBS and many of us hated those poorly made CBS era Strat and Tele guitars when they first came out. Now, forty years later, they don't play any better but they sure sound better.

billgennaro 04-15-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

and also my assumption.

bill

jseth 04-15-2011 05:00 PM

My "go-to" acoustic is my Mark Angus 6 string, #35... maple b/s w/ a German Black Forest spruce top... Mark built this one for me in 1979, so she's... 32 years old this very spring!

She sounded amazing when I first played her; balanced tone and a lot of volume (the shape of a Guild F-40 w/ Florentine cutaway)... surprisingly, especially with all I'd read about maple guitars and experienced myself, NOT overly bright... the entire mid-range, from low-mid to high-mid, is nicely pronounced, though.

This has been my main (and only) 6 string for all these years, so I would think I'm well equipped to comment on how she's changed through the years, tonally. Like I said, the guitar sounded really great from the get-go... over the years, she's gotten even more warm w/ a bit more low end. Lightly built, the overtones have increased somewhat, but overall? Pretty much still sounds like she did, 32 years ago.

I'd have to agree with the sentiment that the top wood is what "opens up", over time... back and sides are chosen for their hardness and flavor the sound a bit, but the top is what's really moving, everytime you play...

BTW, the German spruce has developed "stripes", lighter colored sections of the top, through the years. Those stripes were not there 32 years ago! When I asked James Goodall about them, he said that sometimes sapwood doesn't show up until years later... no matter tho', the tone is lovely!

Have to agree with the reply that said to buy a guitar that you LOVE the sound of, as is... I wouldn't think that a poor sounding guitar is going to "open up" into a nice sounding one...

ljguitar 04-15-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Hi Bob…
You may be right, but I have never heard the same level of results with old solid topped, laminate sides/back guitars I have from all-solid versions. Certainly the top has a lot of influence, but I believe the back and sides may affect tone more than the percentages I often see expressed here.

And as a teacher I've seen/heard/handled many a solid top/laminate sides-back guitar that spent 25-40 years in the hands of mom/dad/grandpa before a student brought them to lessons. I've also had my hands on some old all-solid Martins, Taylors and Gibsons from that era - no comparison. And the tone of an old D-18 is not the same as an old D-28.

Wade Hampton 04-15-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Well, what I've experienced is that the tops open up first and most obviously, while the backs and sides seem to take longer to loosen up and develop.

But, yes, I do believe that there's some breaking in that goes on with backs and sides, and - yes - maple will warm up and break in.

Not in the same way as rosewood, but in some ways I like broken-in maple instruments even better than broken-in rosewood instruments.

You can really hear this in maple mandolins that have received heavy use for more than two or three years. They can start off sounding a bit brittle, even harsh, but after serious use for a few years the tone on them sweetens up considerably.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

Birch 04-15-2011 07:34 PM

The old time jazzers I knew used to remark that maple-bodied archtops tended to change dramatically for the better in the first year. I've owned many maple flatops, and so do they. Of course, you have to play them.

Mah ' Crub 04-15-2011 08:44 PM

I love the idea that any instrument "sweetens" with play, I am not sure one way or the other....there is a museum in Italy that houses quite a few Sradivarius violins, each one is played daily....in the hope that sweet music does "sweeten" the sound....some people swear by it, others ...not so sure....
but like the rabbi said...." it couldn't houit".....I also think that our own hearing changes as we age, so maybe it sounds different to our ears because our ears have changed....doesn't matter....I love the fact that we think so....
What do I know?

Mah ' Crub

donh 04-15-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach5 (Post 2583364)
Does Maple open up like Rosewood?

Nope. It opens up like Maple!

rcoolz 04-15-2011 10:29 PM

maple....

Quote:

Originally Posted by donh (Post 2584281)
Nope. It opens up like Maple!

You couldnt resist that could you But I was thinking it...........

Glennwillow 04-15-2011 10:50 PM

My wife has about a 30-year old Guild G37 that has maple back and sides and that guitar has acquired a little more bass over the years.

- Glenn