The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   NPD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455287)

MikeBmusic 01-06-2017 09:15 AM

NPD

BAckground:
I bought my Fender Telecaster new in 1972 - $279 including Fender hardshell case (if I'd only know, and had the money, would have bought 2!)
Gigged with it regularly until the mid-80s. Then it sat in the case for 363 days a year for about 20 years.
A couple of years ago the neck pickup got weak, I replaced it with an alnico one.
Then last year the bridge pickup got weak and thin-sounding. Since I hardly use it (mostly for recording), I just used the neck pickup. Gigged twice with it in the last year, so no big deal, was not doing any screaming leads or anything.
Decided to do something with it and asked my wife to get me some new pickups and new electrics as a Christmas gift. The tone pot had been noisy, the jack was inconsistent with its connections- and I had taken everything apart, cleaned, adjusted but with no improvement.

So I got a set of GFS pickups, plus the selector switch/pots/jack wiring harness - all with their 'kwick plug' system, no soldering needed - nice!
Got it installed and adjusted, new strings on, plugged it in and WOW! From sweet Tele twang to high-gain monster sound, its all there now.

BTW, when I put an ohmmeter on the old bridge pickup, it was showing infinite resistance no matter what range I used, so needs to be rewound, not remagnetized.

Dru Edwards 01-07-2017 09:12 AM

Mike, here I thought I was going to read about a "New Pedal Day" but a "New Pickup Day" is just as nice. Great story on your 45 year old tele. I take it that even though it sat for many years there's still a lot of sentimental feelings toward it and that it's a lifer?

Another guitar brought back to life.

MikeBmusic 01-09-2017 09:17 AM

The neck still plays like butter - action is so low its a crime! Probably should change out the tuners, they don't move as smooth as they once did, but as its not a 'daily' use guitar, its not a priority.
Got some great 'tube breakup' sound from it on Saturday - something I could not do with the old pickups in the last few years.

Jerry D 01-10-2017 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBmusic (Post 5183184)
BAckground:
I bought my Fender Telecaster new in 1972 - $279 including Fender hardshell case (if I'd only known, and had the money, would have bought 2!)

Well, maybe not. $279 in 1972 equates to $1,610.94 in 2017 bucks. :D

Then again, a brand new 1972 Tele today might be worth.....................

MikeBmusic 01-11-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry D (Post 5188873)
Well, maybe not. $279 in 1972 equates to $1,610.94 in 2017 bucks. :D

Then again, a brand new 1972 Tele today might be worth.....................

take a look on reverb or ebay on what a 72 Tele goes for ...:D (but don't tell my wife!)