The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New Martin D-18 vs New Gibson J-35 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292871)

rosewoood 04-23-2013 10:11 AM

New Martin D-18 vs New Gibson J-35

You could have one or the other.Which one would you choose and why?
I realize the price difference is significant so try and choose on the merits of the guitar itself, unless of course price is your only factor.

rosewoood 04-23-2013 10:16 AM

I choose the Martin cause the J-35 wasn't available when I bought it.:hmm:

dereklaney 04-23-2013 10:20 AM

the obvious choice

I've played the new j-35 twice at a local shop, each time for half-an-hour or more, and really liked it. Seriously considering purchasing it.

But if I only had one or the other...the answer is the Martin d-18 by several million miles. MUCH higher quality build. MUCH higher quality materials. MUCH higher quality sound. MUCH higher resale value. MUCH more MUCHNESS.

:D

lt20dbl 04-23-2013 10:21 AM

Is this really how you choose a guitar? I wouldn't.

Landru 04-23-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lt20dbl (Post 3445432)
Is this really how you choose a guitar? I wouldn't.

How so . . . ?

Landru 04-23-2013 10:29 AM

If this is a blind selection, based solely on the histories of Gibson, Martin and the two models - - - - Martin D-18. Means nothing, as one or the other could be the better guitar once one plays them.

GibbyPrague 04-23-2013 10:39 AM

Well, I havent played the J-35 but already have enough Gibson slopes, so Id get the D-18, sell it, and probably buy another Furch.

If it was a pre 2012 D-18 Id probably keep it.

Humbuster 04-23-2013 11:25 AM

I have recently played both and honestly cannot pick one over the other.

To me, it all comes down to individual guitars. Both the J35 and D18 I played a few weeks ago were exceptional guitars.

I hope to purchase one or the other in a few months, however when I finally decide it will be based on the particular guitar.

Both of these would are stellar choices at their respective price points, IMHO.

IM4Nats 04-23-2013 01:12 PM

I will never buy a new guitar with a slim neck profile, so sorry Martin. The D 18 is a great guitar. I'd buy the J 35. Play like a National.

bobby b 04-23-2013 01:18 PM

This forum should be called 'The Acoustic Guitar vs The Acoustic Guitar .... Forum'. :rolleyes:

Altcountry 04-23-2013 03:41 PM

Hey Rosewood, don't feel bad about people who harp on you saying "it's all preference, and you should play them not ask opinions, I wouldn't buy a guitar based on opinions of others, etc..." Anyone on this forum who joined is obviously just as obsessed and passionate about guitars as the next. It's a big purchase, and it's a fun purchase and the research is what you do when you can't go out and play them, or you already have, and just want to deliberate more. A lot of times people will just ask to see if there are red-flag general consensuses and/or helpful considerations. We all love talking about guitars on here after all. ANYWAY, I think between the two it depends on what kind of sound or style you play. The Martin is the go to for that unmistakable woody, bright(yet dark), deep and brooding bass sound. I love Gibsons for the trebles which I think are warmer, more controlled and more focused than Martins. D18 has the classic old-time prewar boisterous sound---J35 is more balanced, focused, and sounds a bit more "refined", which can be good if it's what you're going for.

g_david59 04-23-2013 03:58 PM

J35 VS D18 Videos

Here you go....

D18: Start video at 2:00 unless you want to hear about features

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn134nHgbKQ

J35: Start video at 2:00 unless you want to hear about features

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSV0KvxOvvI

This will help you better than most opinions....

Jim Owen 04-23-2013 04:16 PM

I'm uniquely disqualified, having played neither. But I do own two Martin 000 18s. If I were ordering blind I would go for the Gibson thump.

I've come to love Montana Gibsons late in life, seriously. I'm too old to write this off as a midlife crisis.

dodge 04-23-2013 05:19 PM

just got a J-35 and its a stellar guitar. love the D-18 but I already have D-15M. If you want that Thumping bass and playability of the short scale get the J-35. Be advised the Gibson does have a chunky neck though so that might play into your decision.

rosewoood 04-23-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altcountry (Post 3445793)
Hey Rosewood, don't feel bad about people who harp on you saying "it's all preference, and you should play them not ask opinions, I wouldn't buy a guitar based on opinions of others, etc..." Anyone on this forum who joined is obviously just as obsessed and passionate about guitars as the next. It's a big purchase, and it's a fun purchase and the research is what you do when you can't go out and play them, or you already have, and just want to deliberate more. A lot of times people will just ask to see if there are red-flag general consensuses and/or helpful considerations. We all love talking about guitars on here after all. ANYWAY, I think between the two it depends on what kind of sound or style you play. The Martin is the go to for that unmistakable woody, bright(yet dark), deep and brooding bass sound. I love Gibsons for the trebles which I think are warmer, more controlled and more focused than Martins. D18 has the classic old-time prewar boisterous sound---J35 is more balanced, focused, and sounds a bit more "refined", which can be good if it's what you're going for.

Hi Altcountry

Not really looking for advise as much as I was looking forward to reading other people's comparisons and thoughts.(I've bought and sold so many guitars over the years I've got it down to a science) :D
Both are stellar guitars, and like you said different in application. As guitar players we are extremely lucky to have so many fine guitars to choose from in this particular era of guitar building.