The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   AGF Showcase of Talent for August 2014: New arrangements of songs! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351421)

BoneDigger 07-31-2014 11:47 PM

AGF Showcase of Talent for August 2014: New arrangements of songs!

For this month we will have a $50 gift card donated by a forum member that wishes to remain anonymous. As always, this is NOT a competition; anyone that enters a song will be part of the drawing for the gift card.

For August, we will be taking songs and arranging them in a new style. For example, take a rock song and make it a bluegrass song, or take a rock song and make a finger style composition of it, give James Taylor a death metal slant, make Bill Monroe's music into a hard rock song. Heck, the ideas are endless here. So, go out and find a song to make your own! :D

Just post a video or sound file to be part of the drawing.

Todd

Psalad 07-31-2014 11:51 PM

Does it have to be new this month?

funkmuncha 08-01-2014 03:55 AM

cool, this will be an interesting challenge for me. ill get to work right away, hopefully ill get something up before the last week of the month this time around!

BIG BIG thanks to Todd (Bonedigger) for keeping these showcases going, they suite me down to the ground!

YamaYairi 08-01-2014 04:39 AM

I'm on it!

RedJoker 08-01-2014 04:41 AM

I'll start us off. I love 80's hair rock but am learning how to play an acoustic guitar. At guitar night this week, I decided to record a country-fied version of Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me". I probably should have changed the key to something more in my vocal range but what the heck.

:D

Bearclaw Spruce 08-01-2014 06:00 AM

Who was drawn last month?

Random1643 08-01-2014 06:38 AM

Vigilante Man Reconfigured

Woody Guthrie's acoustic folk song re-imagined as a more stark, overdriven sorta song.

https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/vigilante-man-take1

BTW - For now, I'm not using the embedding option for SoundCloud files because I found it creates instability on SC plays.

Bob1131 08-01-2014 10:31 AM

8 Miles High

"Eight Miles High" was a psychedelic composition by the Byrds in 1966. The original was hard driven with a long intro of electric 12-string lead, whereas our rendition is a slightly slower acoustic track that focuses more on the lyrics and story. The song was banned by some radio stations in the 60s because, it was assumed that the lyrics were drug related, as in being eight miles "high" on drugs! However, the song is not at all about being on a drug high rather, it is a quite literal account of their airline flight and visit to London, UK during a concert tour! I hope you enjoy our take on it! Eight Miles High

BoneDigger 08-01-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw Spruce (Post 4065217)
Who was drawn last month?

Nobody yet. But, I hope to get it done this weekend.

Todd

kydave 08-01-2014 12:11 PM

Yes, the one the Zombies did!!

She's Not There

This is me on guitar and vocals and my long time, now dead music partner, Sean Bohannon, on mandolin.

With great memories...

:)

Random1643 08-01-2014 12:22 PM

She's not there is awesome. Great cover! Nice blend of guitar and mando!

I'm sorry you lost your friend.

YamaYairi 08-01-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedJoker (Post 4065175)
I'll start us off. I love 80's hair rock but am learning how to play an acoustic guitar. At guitar night this week, I decided to record a country-fied version of Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me". I probably should have changed the key to something more in my vocal range but what the heck.

:D

Very nice job!

YamaYairi 08-01-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random1643 (Post 4065240)
Woody Guthrie's acoustic folk song re-imagined as a more stark, overdriven sorta song.

https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/vigilante-man-take1

BTW - For now, I'm not using the embedding option for SoundCloud files because I found it creates instability on SC plays.

I loved this! Nice slide playing, too!

YamaYairi 08-01-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob1131 (Post 4065575)
"Eight Miles High" was a psychedelic composition by the Byrds in 1966. The original was hard driven with a long intro of electric 12-string lead, whereas our rendition is a slightly slower acoustic track that focuses more on the lyrics and story. The song was banned by some radio stations in the 60s because, it was assumed that the lyrics were drug related, as in being eight miles "high" on drugs! However, the song is not at all about being on a drug high rather, it is a quite literal account of their airline flight and visit to London, UK during a concert tour! I hope you enjoy our take on it! Eight Miles High

I think your harmonies are better than the original!

YamaYairi 08-01-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydave (Post 4065745)
Yes, the one the Zombies did!!

She's Not There

This is me on guitar and vocals and my long time, now dead music partner, Sean Bohannon, on mandolin.

With great memories...

:)

Nice job re-imagining this song!