The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bose compact vs normal acustic amp? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297016)

Petertd5 05-27-2013 01:04 PM

Bose compact vs normal acustic amp?

Hi. I started learning playing guitar a year ago and its so much fun, so now I am thinking about getting an amp. For me to play through and my wife to sing through.
I like the idea of Bose compact with a mixer so I can use it for so much more. Music in the garden and a PA if I get to play a gig( When I'm get good enough) But the main thing is so I can play through it and sing. If the Bose is in the smallest version with tweeters in the sub it doesnt take up much more space then a normal amp. Does anybody know if the Bose sound good sitting next to it or is a normal acoustic amp better?
Thanks

Cochese 05-27-2013 02:05 PM

I owned and used the original Bose PAS for a number of years. I haven't tried the compact personally but I'm sure it's in the same ball park sound wise. For your purposes I would say it is probably a bit better than a dedicated acoustic amp for your purposes. Guitar Center usually has the compact set up in their PA room. Try both and see what you prefer.

jseth 05-27-2013 08:15 PM

Admittedly, I am a bit biased, as I own and use a Bose L1 Model I Classic and am a HUGE fan of that system for acoustic guitar and voice... but I have to think that the Bose is going to sound better than an acoustic amplifier, and it will certainly spread the sound around a lot better; the Bose systems have incredible sound dispersion...

I have not used the Compact. I believe that you could get one of the "big" Bose systems used, in good shape, for about the price of the Compact new.... and I would heartily recommend the Bose T1 tone generator/mixer to use with it... it's an amazing little piece of gear (see the post about the recording engineer using one with his Fishman Soloamp/SA220).

Bose is fairly pricey gear... the only way you will get a "break" on the price will be to buy used, however, as I have NEVER seen any Bose gear discounted more than 10% from retail...

A couple of things; first off, I am nearly certain that there are NO tweeters in the Base/Subwoofer section of the Compact... my Classic has 24 2 1/4" speakers in the tower section, and the subwoofer is separate from that and has either 8" or 10" speakers in it.

Secondly, with my system, the factory recommends that the performer be approx. 6 feet from the tower, with the unit behind you and slightly off to the side... I have used mine while sitting closer to it and have had no problems, especially at lower volume usage.

If you go into Guitar Center and try one... be sure to ask if they have any used ones in the back! That's how I got mine, just before I plunked down $3000 for a new one!

madhermit 05-27-2013 08:48 PM

I recently tried out a Bose compact with a T1 Tonematch.

Short version is...

I haven't been impressed with Bose home audio.

Heard and tried a Bose Compact with a T1. Sounds great. Got a T1 for my Fishman SA220. Sounds great.

Magic is in the Tonematch T1?

myersbw 05-27-2013 09:01 PM

Jseth made a good point...the Bose is pricey! My personal opinion? More than it needs to be. I did like their premise...basically "you hear what the audience does" and no extra monitor system needed. So, if you do plan on performing and incorporating vocals...peek at the clone I've built. You can assemble it with trades, etc., and be WELL under what you'd pay for the least expensive Bose system. Here's a link to my latest version of the clone...scroll to the end and click on the image.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ht=coffeehouse

...adding to the picture. It's two line arrays with 4 Tang Band drivers each (same as my original projects). I now use a nice small mixer case hosting a Mackie CFX12-->DBX 266XL compressor-->Crown CE1000 amp. I've fed the Mackie's subwoofer out to 1/2 DBX & into CH1 of the Crown. The mixer's left channel is used as a mono feed to the other DBX channel & into CH2 of the Crown and into both columns in parallel.

Yeah, I sacrificed the ultimate portability of the Bose, but the flexibility in this system lets me do everything I need and then some.

Cheers!
Brad

Petertd5 05-28-2013 02:10 AM

I do think that the Bose system is the smartest way for me to go. I've seen one breifly once, and just tried a Roland Ac-33 amp to compare with. I live in Sweden and the second hand market for Bose systems is not big.
Ive trouble to find a place to see other acoustic amp because I have to drive quite far. So basicly I'll have to get an acoustic amp unseen and buy it online.
Why I like the idea of Bose compact is that you can put the tweeter arrays in the sub, so then it'll be a compact so I can use it as a normal acoustic amp at home. And when i need it I'll use the extension to make it full size.
A really smart thing, i just hope it'll sound good in compact mode, sitting close to it in a small room.

myersbw 05-28-2013 06:22 AM

Ah, sounds like you've got a plan! :) And, when you go to purchase, try that mode of operation out in the store and see what you think. If they want to sell you one...they'll accommodate you.

Cheers!
Brad

KeepInTune 05-28-2013 08:04 AM

Homemade system?

Brad,
Can you post more pics on your home-made system. A few of us are intrigued.
Also, have you found any better housing options for the speaker arrays in your searches, or is the one you're using perfect?

kramster 05-28-2013 08:24 AM

I have a couple Compacts and I like them...I use a keyboard too through it. I have a couple T1s which are great. Also sounds darn good with a A&H ZED 10 mixer.
I had the Classic for years when they first came out. Great set up too but never needed all the power...and the Compact is so easy.

myersbw 05-28-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepInTune (Post 3486955)
Brad,
Can you post more pics on your home-made system. A few of us are intrigued.
Also, have you found any better housing options for the speaker arrays in your searches, or is the one you're using perfect?

Sure! As for searching anymore? No, no time for that yet. I used cheap $20 tweeter line arrays that I ripped out the tweeters and these speakers dropped right in. The boxes are attached with typical metal electrical pipe (conduit) clamps. Tightened with some rubber inserted between the pipe & the clamp so it will hold, but I can spread them apart with a bit of effort.

Note the Peavey speaker is upside down (lol, it's what I had and it turned the pipe mount to the top.)

Now that I know it will work fine, I'll make some much smaller (depth-wise) boxes to further reduce the weight. I'll also space those 3" speakers closer together to more accurately grab the effect of a true linear array. Go search for Bose L1 photos and you should find a cross-section that shows how they vary their 2.25" speakers in the column. They're pointing in several directions in the L1. As I shrink the box, I'll also add one more to gain a total of 12 speakers in the array.

Keep in mind that they don't push nearly as much air as the 15" would, it doesn't take a lot of cu. ft. in the box or column cavity. (Note todays surround systems and the L1 cylinder itself.)

I do have some more experimenting to do for the sub-side, too. That's a full-range 15" speaker there. It may be of value as-is. I'll play and then sub a true subwoofer. Overall, it breaks down into three manageable pieces: pole/woofers, mixer/amp box and the sub.

If anyone wants some specific views....back, etc., let me know and I'll take more pics. What I do know now...it will serve well for a crowd of 300-400 and play overtop a drummer that uses Sonars and bangs hard. :)

Brad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/akxtow6erp...BOSEclone1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggs5ffu8gn...Boseclone2.JPG

dcopper 05-28-2013 02:28 PM

Go to a Guitar Center and A/B the Bose Compact with the Fishman SA220 (SoloAmp). I used the Bose original system for years and got tired of lugging around the heavy base/mixer (like a home plate on steroids) and went to the Fishman SA220 and have never looked back. In comparison, IMHO the Fishman was an easy decision over the Bose Compact which I tried as well. It is just your ears in the end...
davidc

myersbw 05-28-2013 09:09 PM

I do like what I'm reading about the Fishman. Guesstimate max audience size?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcopper (Post 3487449)
Go to a Guitar Center and A/B the Bose Compact with the Fishman SA220 (SoloAmp). I used the Bose original system for years and got tired of lugging around the heavy base/mixer (like a home plate on steroids) and went to the Fishman SA220 and have never looked back. In comparison, IMHO the Fishman was an easy decision over the Bose Compact which I tried as well. It is just your ears in the end...
davidc