The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Changing guitar strings -- do you cut or not? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131868)

dvilla76 08-01-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmaak (Post 1553718)
I measure each string individually to the correct length (to ensure a sufficient number of turns) and then clip them before stringing up. Makes it much easier and less hazardous when turning the machine heads up to tension.

:up:

I've been using the Taylor pre cut method for the last 6 months and wish I'd have known of it much sooner. IMO it's the easiest and most precise way for me having little or no chance of damaging the headstock and a perfect wrap every time. Whenever I see someone with their uncut strings all twirled/bunched up on top of their headstock I immediately wonder what the...?.

Dave

stringbound 08-01-2008 09:59 AM

I cut the strings on my guitars, because my they are slotheads and I also use the Taylor pre-cut method.

unimogbert 08-01-2008 10:05 AM

String ends

tlovett2 08-01-2008 10:14 AM

I've been told by one guy who keeps the loops that if a string breaks there was a way he could salvage another day out of the string by doing something with the loop - not exactly sure how this worked though.

ljguitar 08-01-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlovett2 (Post 1554062)
I've been told by one guy who keeps the loops that if a string breaks there was a way he could salvage another day out of the string by doing something with the loop - not exactly sure how this worked though.

Hi tlovett2...
Sounds like a bit of ''guitar lore'' to me.

Can't see how cutting the ends after the guitar is strung (and string is wound down the shaft) it could even affect the life of the string. but he obviously is willing to stretch them by a day.

I cut mine after winding. I put extra wraps below the hole in the shaft 3-4 wraps on strings 1-4 and four to six wraps on strings 1-2. Taylor's pre-cut method will not work for that.

Also, it will not work on round core strings as they will unwind if you pre-cut them. I seem to recall they have a warning on the package.

Ken C 08-01-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocarolan (Post 1553705)
Once tuned to pitch I cut to within 5mm or so of the tuner post and then curl the sharp end over (with small round nosed pliers) to avoid spikey moments. <snip>
Keith

Yes, Keith, I do the same thing. I bend the ends down and usually against the peg, sometimes back into the hole a little. I do whatever it takes to keep those points covered.

And I really do not think it a good idea to cut them before threading them through the peg holes and tuning them to pitch. I have had guys say the ends should be bent at 90° before cutting them. They are concerned with wrapped strings having a tendency to unwind, but this, I think is more philosophical than something some one has observed.

I bet we each could write a five-chapter book on how to replace strings...and each of us write a two-chapter rebuttal. <g>

Ken C.

mcphersonnut 08-01-2008 10:33 AM

I cut mine. They look pretty tacky when there not.

markm2553 08-01-2008 10:41 AM

There was a time I never cut mine, use to hear a lot of grief about it too.

Now they are cut neat and trim, I cut after install, but non the less...

I have a pair of wire cutters, but I know a guy that says he uses toe nail clippers? I never tried it, but they would be easy to carry with your spare set of strings.

valleyguy 08-01-2008 03:53 PM

I cut mine, but in the past I used to coil them. The issue is having a wire cutter handy. If you change strings without one, you don't have much choice.

bluecollarman 08-01-2008 08:53 PM

Snip...snip....snip....snip....snip....snip. :guitar:

I use a cross between the methods described in Taylor Tech Sheet and on Frets.com, and cut after tuning string to pitch.

Hodges_Guitars 08-01-2008 10:11 PM

There is actually a reason to trim your strings, not counting the neatness factors listed above. Those loose strings, whether wound up into a tight loop or just flopping in the breeze absorb sound and dampen the sound of your guitar. There are times when I could see that being a plus if you had a highly resonant guitar with a pickup and you needed to dampen some of the resonance. Most of the time when I see a pro or semi-pro with these loose strings, it is a blues player who loves a muted guitar sound.

If you want your guitar to sound it's best, trim the strings.

HIPCHIP 08-01-2008 10:23 PM

My kid leaves his strings sticking out where they could poke his eye out, but he's into Punk, so go figure, they pierce anything (LOL)

TBman 08-01-2008 10:56 PM

I cut. I used to loop, but I got over it.

Opa John 08-01-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaW (Post 1553577)
OK, so I'm watching some youtube covers and I can't believe how many people don't trim their guitar strings after restringing. How does one play with those long loose ends flapping in the breeze?? Am I just too compulsively neat to cope? :D

You're doing it right, Linda. Myself....I'm one of those guys who loops the strings one time through the tuning peg, except for those two big fat ones,then I bend the end of it (about an1/8") with a pair of long nosed pliers....then, cut it. Makes for a nice, clean, neat look. I think anyone who doesn't do it like this should have his guitar taken away from him for a full day and have to listen to Lawrence Welk music.......ALL DAY LONG!! He'd think twice the next time! (a one an' a two..tanga you, Janet!)

Opa John 08-01-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaW (Post 1553577)
OK, so I'm watching some youtube covers and I can't believe how many people don't trim their guitar strings after restringing. How does one play with those long loose ends flapping in the breeze?? Am I just too compulsively neat to cope? :D

You're doing it right, Linda. Myself....I'm one of those guys who loops the strings one time through the tuning peg, except for those two big fat ones,then I bend the end of it (about an1/8") with a pair of long nosed pliers....then, cut it. Makes for a nice, clean, neat look. I think anyone who doesn't do it like this should have his guitar taken away from him for a full day and have to listen to Lawrence Welk music.......ALL DAY LONG!! He'd think twice the next time!