The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NGD: Emerald Chimaera 6/12 Doubleneck (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455131)

AcouStickistNS 01-04-2017 08:12 PM

NGD: Emerald Chimaera 6/12 Doubleneck

My first post on this forum. Received this a couple weeks ago, and last week I actually performed with it at a laid back benefit open mic. Fantastic instrument. Not sure I will play my other single neck acoustic now that I have this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Music/Eme...Object-1-L.jpg

Pic from Emerald before it was shipped.

mot 01-04-2017 08:37 PM

Sweet. Would love to hear your detailed impressions and comparisons when you have time.

AcouStickistNS 01-04-2017 09:19 PM

Review

Quote:

Originally Posted by mot (Post 5181585)
Sweet. Would love to hear your detailed impressions and comparisons when you have time.

I posted a fairly lengthy review on Emerald's site:

http://emeraldguitars.com/product/ch...v=7516fd43adaa

#6, the last one as of today is my review. I didn't really go into much detail on comparisons, as there's not really much out there doubleneckwise with acoustics. But as I mentioned, personally going doubleneck with an acoustic is more rewarding than an electric hardbody one. Many years back I recall seeing an Ovation, looked like quite a beast on the backside of the body from what i remember of it. As far as carbon goes, never quite warmed up to what's out there in acoustics, my other acoustic is a Martin OM model made of wood. I do own other carbon instruments, a Zon bass and a 12 String Chapman Stick, one of the last that Emmett Chapman made in carbon graphite. Emerald seems to be a beefier construction compared to some other carbon acoustics I've looked at.

Captain Jim 01-04-2017 09:21 PM

Very striking! I don't see myself as a double-neck kinda guy, but this would be the top of the list if I were.

I appreciate the fact that Emerald is building unique instruments that are made for musicians. Aesthetically beautiful, with the playability, sound, and comfort to go with that.

We'll look forward to a full review with your Chimaera... when you can find the time to put it down and give us your impressions. :)

Enjoy!

tdq 01-04-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5181642)
Very striking! I don't see myself as a double-neck kinda guy, but this would be the top of the list if I were.
Enjoy!

Same here - not really a double neck guy, but I did have a teasingly brief go on one of these a while back. I would have loved to have sneaked off with it for a couple of days...plus the green looks cool!

Acousticado 01-04-2017 11:12 PM

Hi AcouStick, and fellow 6/12 Chimaera owner. There are only a few of us here so far. Welcome to the AGF. Beautiful guitar. Mine is amber. I love it. Amazingly fun, jumping back and forth between necks in a given song allows such interesting options.

Questions.....mine has the lightweight Gotoh Stealth tuners @ 11.4 grams each, and titanium trussrods, which is lighter overall than the latest versions because Alistair has dropped both, now installing Gotoh 510 tuners (on Artisan edition) @ 33.2 grams each and conventional steel truss rods. A fair bit of extra neck/headstock weight. I'm curious as to how you find the overall weight and balance of your new Chimaera. Is it neck heavy, prone to dive? What electronics are in yours and how do you like it so far. Mine has the Baggs Lyric, but I don't plug in often and never in a gigging situation.

Edit: I just read your review at the Emerald site. Well done. I agree. I still wonder about the weight of the tuners and truss rods though (although I realize you haven't experienced the lighter setup). Your remarks about the Baggs iBeam answered my question about the electronics on yours.

TheChicagoTodd 01-04-2017 11:25 PM

Very cool!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Acousticado 01-04-2017 11:56 PM

To those who consider themselves not to be doubleneck kinda guys.....

I didn't consider myself one either. In fact, as a Chimaera owner since 2013, my chops don't do this guitar justice, but I'm working on it. Imo, standalone photos of the Chimaera do not accurately reflect its relatively low profile. Pics make it seem larger than it actually is. The body depth is only 3.5", and at 17" the lower bout is only about 1" wider than a GA. That bit of larger soundboard provides real good acoustic volume. If you've played acoustic wood doublenecks in the past, you know how heavy and unwieldy they can be. The Chimaera is not like that at all, unless the change to Gotoh 510 tuners and steel truss rods has caused imbalance that earlier versions didn't. I'd go so far to say that it snuggles nicely on the sofa. It is a game changer among doublenecks. Imo, it is great and fun like no other guitar. I can play songs originally written for 12, for 6, or for both (ala Stairway, Hotel, or jumping to the 12 for the chorus to add great tonal dynamics)...all in one lightweight package. Is it the best 12 string guitar among 12ers? Is it the best 6 string guitar among 6ers? No and no. But it's still REALLY good on both counts (likely better plugged in, which I rarely do), has the fun factor licked, and is the best acoustic doubleneck you'll ever play. Great bang for the buck. It's the one guitar I'd grab while running out of a burning building, or have on a deserted island. I winter in SW Florida from Canada. I take the Chimaera with me.

'Nuff said.

jwhelan56 01-05-2017 09:52 AM

Congrats on that double neck beauty!! Now you have me rethinking getting just a green Artisan 6 string, versus the Chimera! I already have an amber Artisan 6 string (no figured top, just regular).

I'm sure that things sounds and plays tremendously. Emerald is knocking it out of the park with CF guitars in my opinion!!

Earl49 01-05-2017 12:28 PM

That is exactly the model and color I am lusting after. Nice review and glad it works well for you!

AcouStickistNS 01-05-2017 05:59 PM

Gallery

Might as well share the whole gallery, as some might want a birdseye view of the LR Baggs control box. Please note the video was made to test a new Rode video microphone, which I forgot to take with me last week and ended up using my old one :(

https://sb.smugmug.com/Music/Emerald-Chimaera

Long Jon 01-05-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS (Post 5181554)
Fantastic instrument. Not sure I will play my other single neck acoustic now that I have this:

And to think they practically throw in that six-er for free with the excellent 12 string ! :up:

Beautiful, congratulations.

Doubleneck 01-06-2017 05:16 AM

Curious is the Baggs Imix system Emeralds standard now or did you request it? Can you control the volume on each neck?

AcouStickistNS 01-06-2017 05:56 PM

LRBaggs

Emerald sent me an email notifying me of the new electronics about 3.5 months in to the build. I prefer the mono mode to blend the necks. In stereo mode both wheels become individual volume controls.

Doubleneck 01-06-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS (Post 5183790)
Emerald sent me an email notifying me of the new electronics about 3.5 months in to the build. I prefer the mono mode to blend the necks. In stereo mode both wheels become individual volume controls.

I have had the IMIX system in a guitar. It was a undersaddle and a Ibeam soundboard transducer mixed by that preamp. Do they put both on each bridge? I'm just trying to imagine how they bring out the two necks separately in the stereo jack?