The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   are you using pedals? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454965)

marikian 01-03-2017 01:34 PM

are you using pedals?

I usually just plug my acoustic direct into the board at church and play. The other day I brought my H9 pedal and for giggles plugged it in. It sounded fantastic with the acoustic and there are so many options. How are you all using pedals with your live playing?

drive-south 01-03-2017 02:06 PM

I've got a Boss RV6 reverb pedal I use with my acoustic preamps, usually in the efx loop. Used sparingly it provides a nice shimmer. Takes away the sterile sound.

EverettWilliams 01-03-2017 02:09 PM

Only for electrics!

pophops 01-03-2017 02:09 PM

I never play guitar when I'm riding my bike.

min7b5 01-03-2017 02:17 PM

No.

But one time, in 1988, I rigged up a wha wha pedal to go between my acoustic guitar mic and the house PA. There was a recording, that I've since lost, of me playing Coltrane's take on My Favorite Things with my trio with the wha rig and it was truly cool. Gonna try it again one day.

ikravchik 01-03-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marikian (Post 5179806)
I usually just plug my acoustic direct into the board at church and play. The other day I brought my H9 pedal and for giggles plugged it in. It sounded fantastic with the acoustic and there are so many options. How are you all using pedals with your live playing?

Yes, I like using acoustics in unorthodox ways.

I also tried to play my baritone with a bow to see if it would sound like a cello, ... fun stuff.

Chedeng88 01-03-2017 02:25 PM

I use a looper from time to time.

DesertTwang 01-03-2017 02:51 PM

Directly plugging my Martin SWDGT with K&K Pure Mini pickup into a PA doesn't sound good, at least in my limited experience. I put a preamp in between - the Fire Eye Red Eye - and plug a tuning pedal into its effect loop. That combo has worked pretty well so far. The Red Eye has a volume boost button, which is super handy for being heard better during solos (I play in a bluegrass band). None of the folks I know who play acoustic instruments plug directly into a PA, except for one of my banjo playing friends (I guess it works for that since you can't mess up a banjo sound anyway :D). They all use some kind of DI box/preamp/equalizer device, which has a HUGELY positive effect on tone. From what I gather, the Baggs Venue is a great option, or the Baggs DI. I like my Red Eye quite a bit. It's super tiny and makes a great tone. I am being told that one has to try a bunch of different devices because each guitar/pickup combo is different and different people prefer different types of tone, obviously.

rmoretti49 01-03-2017 02:52 PM

My wife gave me a simple looper pedal for Christmas, and I have been fooling around with it. So far, I have only laid down a repeating backing track, and then experimented with playing a lead over it. It was more fun that I expected.

The Bard Rocks 01-03-2017 02:57 PM

pedals

Not usually, only if I am going to be up long enough to make it worthwhile.

6L6 01-03-2017 02:58 PM

Yep:

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/...pshcrn124o.jpg

BOSS GE-7 EQ
BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay
BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus
BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay
BOSS TR-2 Tremolo
BOSSTU-3 Tuner (also powers the other 5 pedals)

BOSS BCB-6 Case

rschultz 01-03-2017 03:03 PM

Usually. I prefer to control my sound instead of relying on sound guys. To me, good reverb is a must no matter how you do it. So I generally have a preamp (session), reverb (RV-6), tuner (Turbo Tuner) along with a DI or two (for stereo). I've been known to have more than that (delay, looper, etc). And there have been plenty of times I go straight to the board, or straight to an amp and then to the board. But having a small pedal board gives me options that I don't have otherwise.

https://i.imgur.com/leWtIzg.jpg

rokdog49 01-03-2017 03:17 PM

I use a Fishman Platinum Pro like the one above and sometimes a chorus with it when I have to depend on somebody else's system.
God only knows what you get when somebody else runs sound and I won't have it :mad:

Guest4562 01-03-2017 03:32 PM

I like to have a volume pedal in the chain, but the volume pedals I have do not go completely to zero, and I like to have the guitar silent in the PA when I plug in/out, or tune.

I happen to have a multi f/x box, a Zoom G1Xon for my electrics, so I started using it for my volume pedal, as it does go completely to zero. I set up one channel that has no effects and one that has a slight chorus; reverb I apply at the board. I also use the looper function for one song, Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game."

merlin666 01-03-2017 04:02 PM

No, one of the reasons I went pure acoustic is because I don't want to deal with the gazillion options any more that might be possible with amplification and pedals.