The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Maingard OM Build Thread (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479090)

Cincy2 08-08-2017 10:40 AM

Maingard OM Build Thread

2 Attachment(s)
Although I've owned (too) many guitars, it is seldom that I've run across one where I made an immediate and deeply emotional attachment. The Maingard OOO 12 fret is one such guitar. The balance, volume, sweet tone, intonation, woods and build quality are over the top compared to any instrument I have ever owned. From this revelation I draw the conclusion that while his work is known to many and he is respected for it, he is still one of the most underrated luthiers on the planet. This led me to ask him if he would accept a commission for a custom OM from me. He graciously agreed. I will maintain this thread as the build progresses. Marc is semi-retired and only works a few hours a day. We expect the instrument will be completed by the end of this year. So far, we have made the choice for back and sides. Very old Brazilian shown in the attached photo's.

There were few other choices required. All his standard OM dimensions. Twelve frets above the body (this is a very underrated option - I love what it does to a steel string instrument), Venetian cutaway plus a very nice Alpine Spruce top.

Marc is a very friendly, spiritual person and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to collaborate with him on a guitar for the ages.

Cincy

Nemoman 08-08-2017 12:32 PM

Looks like a sweet set of wood for your build!

I haven't yet played a Maingard, but have heard nothing but good things about them. Hope to try one out someday.

Congrats on your build--I'll be following along...

Diamondave 08-08-2017 02:49 PM

Maingards are legit, and NICE set.... Old School stuff...!

printer2 08-09-2017 06:29 PM

Just wondering if flipping over the outline on the back, lower bout on the top, would be a consideration? Less of the flat sawn portion in the lower bout.

SiliconValleySJ 08-09-2017 07:41 PM

Looks great, can't wait to follow this thread. Love the side sapwood too. I really do like looking down on the sides of my Maingard 000 for the visual effect--it's stunning. (While I'm enjoying the heavenly tone to be sure) Sure yours will turn out fabulous too!

Cincy2 08-10-2017 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by printer2 (Post 5438986)
Just wondering if flipping over the outline on the back, lower bout on the top, would be a consideration? Less of the flat sawn portion in the lower bout.

Aesthetically it doesn't matter to me. Technically, that is Marc's call.

Cincy

El Conquistador 08-10-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincy2 (Post 5437232)
So far, we have made the choice for back and sides. Very old Brazilian shown in the attached photo's.
Cincy

Given the current CITES climate, how do you plan to get this guitar from South Africa to Florida?

Steve

Cincy2 08-10-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Conquistador (Post 5439595)
Given the current CITES climate, how do you plan to get this guitar from South Africa to Florida?

Steve

Marc sold new BRW guitars into the US through Guitar Gallery for many years (I have one). His unbelievable stock is all pre-CITES. This particular plank is pre-1980. He knows what to do.

Cincy

Jabberwocky 08-10-2017 12:10 PM

I shall be following your Maingard OM 12-Fret build with great interest. What a year, Cincy2. I see your Signature changes like the seasons :D

The Somogyi is no longer in your Sig...

BTW, I still have the Comins :)

Cincy2 08-10-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky (Post 5439738)
I shall be following your Maingard OM 12-Fret build with great interest. What a year, Cincy2. I see your Signature changes like the seasons :D

The Somogyi is no longer in your Sig...

BTW, I still have the Comins :)

I'm happy you still like it! It was a great guitar. I've been on a quest to find the guitar(s) that speak to me. It's been a long journey. It's amazing to me how different luthiers can get such different sounds out of a box of wood with some wires. The Somogyi was very impressive and I truly understand why he gets his price. I was awed by the notes it produced. The problem was it didn't make an emotional connection with me the way my little Maingard did out of the box. The 000 has a beautiful fundamental note that blossoms with perfectly balanced overtones to give you the whole package. The 12 fret design makes the trebles almost as sweet as a high end classical (I've owned a lot of those too - different obsession).

Cincy

Jabberwocky 08-10-2017 02:15 PM

Understand the emotional connection thing absolutely. Some makers' works appeal to a certain sensitivity more than others. Some like brunettes, some like blondes. They are all great :)

Can't wait to see what Marc has in store for you.

(Robin has a 2012 14-fret Maingard OM Ital Cedar/BRW for sale!)

gitarro 08-10-2017 08:45 PM

That description of sounding like a high end classical guitar sounds like my somogyi!

You may want to give older somogyi's of the turn of the century a try - based on your description and my limited experience you may find them giving you the tonal bloom that you are looking for and at a lower price too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincy2 (Post 5439895)
I'm happy you still like it! It was a great guitar. I've been on a quest to find the guitar(s) that speak to me. It's been a long journey. It's amazing to me how different luthiers can get such different sounds out of a box of wood with some wires. The Somogyi was very impressive and I truly understand why he gets his price. I was awed by the notes it produced. The problem was it didn't make an emotional connection with me the way my little Maingard did out of the box. The 000 has a beautiful fundamental note that blossoms with perfectly balanced overtones to give you the whole package. The 12 fret design makes the trebles almost as sweet as a high end classical (I've owned a lot of those too - different obsession).

Cincy

Cincy2 08-11-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gitarro (Post 5440351)
That description of sounding like a high end classical guitar sounds like my somogyi!

You may want to give older somogyi's of the turn of the century a try - based on your description and my limited experience you may find them giving you the tonal bloom that you are looking for and at a lower price too!

I'm pretty certain you are correct. Everyone told me Somogyi's needed months of break-in before they open up. The problem is I'm older than dirt and given the choice of an instrument that rings all my bells out of the box and one I have to wait for I chose the former. After all these years and so many guitars, I thought I was jaded to the point where nothing anyone made could excite me. Wrong. I can sit for an hour and just play single notes on my Maingard 000, wallowing in the overtones and sustain. The perfect guitar is such a personal choice. There are so many good luthiers out there we are indeed fortunate to be able to sample them and enjoy them (and sell them at a loss :-).

Cincy

SiliconValleySJ 08-12-2017 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincy2 (Post 5440771)
I can sit for an hour and just play single notes on my Maingard 000, wallowing in the overtones and sustain. The perfect guitar is such a personal choice.

Cincy, I definitely hear you. I have my days where I really think that I shouldn't move out my 000, and others where I think that if I do, really ought to be trading it for a Maingard GC, which I also like quite a bit. Marc really builds something impressive and the note sparkle he achieves on the high end--it's amazing. :)

Cincy2 08-13-2017 05:18 PM

We've agreed on the rest of the specs for this instrument:

MODEL…….ORCHESTRA MODEL. 12 FRETS TO THE BODY JOINT.
CUTAWAY…….ROUNDED VENETIAN.
TOP…..MASTER PLUS GRADE . EURO SPRUCE . NO RUNOUT. 30 YEARS OLD
BACK AND SIDES……..MASTER GRADE 35 YEARS OLD BRAZILIAN ROSEWOOD.
INNER LINING……..EAST INDIAN ROSEWOOD. (Marc doubles his sides)
NECK….BRAZILIAN MAHOGANY.
FINGERBOARD……ALL BLACK EBONY, MASTER PLUS GRADE….. NO STAINING.
HEADSTOCK…….. SOLID.
HEADSTOCK OVERLAY FRONT……BLACKWOOD TO MATCH FINGERBOARD.
HEADSTOCK BACK … BRAZILIAN ROSEWOOD TO MATCH BACK OF GUITAR.
MACHINE HEADS……. GOLD SWISS SCHERTLER.
NUT WIDTH SAME AS 000…..45MM
SCALE ….STANDARD 25.4”
BRIDGE EBONY.
BEVELS….2…..(lower bout and rear waist)
ALL PURFLINGS AND BEVELS TO BE MACASSAR EBONY.

Cincy