The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Options for a battery powered amp? For vocals and instrument (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430889)

ColdEye 05-24-2016 01:02 PM

Options for a battery powered amp? For vocals and instrument

So I currently have a Yamaha threads. Its good for practicing at home, but my friends invited me to play with them outdoors. I will need the amp support, it's mostly going to be at the park and will need to have an input for mic and instrument. How are the Roland's? My budget is about 300, not much I know. Any comments on the cube street by Roland? Also saw a fender passport mini, if anyone has used that comments are appreciated.

JohnDWilliams 05-24-2016 04:47 PM

Sunburst Gear makes a couple different sizes.

http://sunburstgear.com/prod_speaker.html

Lots of great features and good sound. No effects however.

Amazon carries them.

ColdEye 05-24-2016 05:47 PM

Wow that looks interesting. Have you used it? Do you think that can handle a bass guitar?

ColdEye 05-24-2016 06:14 PM

The effects are not an issue, I have some pedals for those.

JohnDWilliams 05-24-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdEye (Post 4947582)
Wow that looks interesting. Have you used it? Do you think that can handle a bass guitar?

They are full range like a PA. I have the smallest one, the M1BR3, and put piano, bass, and drum tracks through it via Bluetooth. Great for practice and would work in a very small room. I'm very happy with it and am considering the M6 model for playing out.

I've also used a battery powered Crate Limo for many gigs. Works well even for small outdoor things like wedding ceremonies. I think those are out of production though.

I currently use a Carvin AG300 for larger rooms. Not battery powered though.

Scootch 05-24-2016 09:18 PM

I've two battery powered units.

The VOX Mini3 watt portable amp. Effects, moderate volume. I know a couple harp players that play thru one.

The Samson XP106w, 100 watt portable PA, with a wireless mic, balanced and unbalanced inputs, aux input and Bluetooth from which you can play music from a phone or other BT enabled doohickey.

We use the Samson at our jams for vocals. Sounds great. $299. Everybody seems to love it. Sometimes I'll run everything thru a Behringer battery powered mixer.

dannyg1 05-24-2016 09:22 PM

If you already have an amp, an inverter/battery combo can work with most of them (Amps that is, provided they're not too power hungry -no tube amps). You can get a box for around $130 that'll do the power for 5-6 hours.

martingitdave 05-24-2016 09:30 PM

Consider the Carvin S600B. It looks like an EXCELLENT option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dannyg1 05-25-2016 02:12 AM

The Carvin 600b will never hit at the $300 budget. If it can by chance, point me that direction. For that money, Id like to try it.

capefisherman 05-25-2016 04:16 AM

John - I too use a Carvin AG300 for most jobs but occasionally need battery powered unit for things like wedding ceremonies on beaches, etc. I use a Roland AC-33 for those now but I don't like the sound (often muddy and dull in spite of trying various settings, EQ, etc.). How do you like the overall sound of the Sunburst? Please let me know ASAP as I have a wedding to play on 6/3 and with Amazon Prime I would have to order one today to have it by early next week, giving me time to experiment with it before the job. thanks, Gene

8daypsalmist 05-25-2016 05:10 AM

I got one of these for $180 from Sweetwater:

http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...P0AVS/Features

Sounds so much better than any of the Roland, Vox, etc. mini amps. Holds a charge forever....

stptak 05-25-2016 06:08 AM

Roland AC-33

I have used a Roland AC-33 for a number of months now in both the "Battery" mode and plugged in. While it clearly doesn't have the sound dynamics of some of my other amps - they don't offer the option of using theirs with AA batteries either! The Roland is a great little amp, good sound and the ability to plug up a vocal mic as well. It runs about $435.00 street. Just my 2 cents...

Mandobart 05-25-2016 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams (Post 4947830)
I currently use a Carvin AG300 for larger rooms. Not battery powered though.

I also play thru an AG300. Great amp, I like it much better than any of the battery powered amps I've tried, so I built an inverter supply for it. The inverter/battery I put together is about 8" by 8" by 14" tall, weighs just under 30 lbs and will power the Carvin for about 8 hours at performance volume on a single charge. Total cost to build was about $200.

Captain Jim 05-25-2016 06:43 AM

I have a Street Cube I bought 5 or 6 years ago, just to use for small groups where power isn't available. It is surprisingly adequate for that. I use an acoustic on the first channel (set for clean - didn't care for the sound when set for acoustic), add a bit of chorus; mic on the other channel.

Compared to a "real" amp or PA, it sounds pretty thin, but I have played for groups of 80 to 100 in a quiet setting, and it works. Lasts a long time on the 6 AA batteries. Light weight, and seems pretty solid.

Puerto Player 05-25-2016 07:17 AM

I use a Roland AC-33. Love it. Great sound, reverb, chorus, anti-feedback, and....a great built in looper. You can crank is ALL THE WAY and it's still clean with no speaker or amp distortion.