The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Removing magic marker from a gloss top? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463956)

Rondoraymundo 03-21-2017 09:56 AM

Removing magic marker from a gloss top?

Anybody have an idea how to remove magic marker from a gloss top without ruining the finish??

fazool 03-21-2017 10:01 AM

Naptha.....

Frank Ford 03-21-2017 11:03 AM

Magic Marker ink is soluble in alcohol, which can also attack many guitar finishes, such as lacquer, shellac, varnish. Naphtha is unlikely to do much, but is safe to try.

Catalyzed polymer finishes, as found Taylor and many imported guitars, are not attacked by many solvents, so acetone and alcohol are safe even for general cleaning.

If the instrument in question has a nitrocellulose lacquer or other solvent-sensitive finish, the best option is likely to be abrasion. A bit of elbow grease and some polish may do the trick, although it might be necessary to do a little sanding with fine (1200, 2000 grit) waterproof paper lubricated with soapy water, kerosene or oil.

fazool 03-21-2017 11:10 AM

Good point Frank, thanks for the correction. You are, of course, correct - alcohol would be a better solvent but possibly dangerous to the finish.

John Arnold 03-21-2017 03:20 PM

You need to know what the finish is before using a strong solvent. If it is Asian, it is likely catalyzed polyester, which is immune to most solvents. You can test an inconspicuous place to be sure. If it is polyester, you can use acetone to remove the marks.

ricklt 03-21-2017 10:25 PM

Someone wrote on my brother in law's truck with a magic marker and we got it of with an eraser. The ones kids use in school.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

capohk 03-22-2017 01:54 AM

You could try going over it with a dry erase marker for a whiteboard and then wiping off quickly. This is what I do when I accidentally write on the board in permanent marker.

Usual caveats for free advice being worth what you pay etc

Earl49 03-22-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricklt (Post 5276941)
Someone wrote on my brother in law's truck with a magic marker and we got it of with an eraser.....

Erasers are mildly abrasive, like the fine grit sandpaper mentioned above. Toothpaste is mildly abrasive too, BTW. But before you do anything you need to know what the finish is. Care to give us any clues (guitar brand, age, etc)?

LSemmens 03-23-2017 01:28 AM

I'm curious, How did you manage to get it on a guitar in the first place?

All of the above advice applies, of course. Maybe a little metho opn a soft cloth.

tahoeguitar 03-23-2017 07:08 AM

Was alcohol involved in the application of the magic marker to the guitar in the first place? ;)

Dave Abrahamson 03-23-2017 07:12 AM

Guessing maybe an autograph?
I would never let anyone write on my guitars...don't care who.
Now...a pic of TE playing my guitar...I'm OK with that :D:D

Rondoraymundo 03-23-2017 09:15 AM

Ibanez IJV50-NT a cheap Chinese made 6 string acoustic. It's really a piece of junk that was given to me and I was hoping to bring it back to a playable state. No strings, tuner issues and all this magic marker. This is really just an experiment for me in repair.

terryj47 03-24-2017 10:53 AM

Most likely it has a Poly-something finish. I stripped a Fender Telecaster that had a big hunk of finish missing from a drop (I bought it that way for a project guitar). I thought I was going to need a jack hammer to get the finish off!

I would used de-natured alcohol for the marker. Of course test in an inconspicuous area first.

Brucebubs 03-26-2017 07:20 PM

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/...psuylfwi6y.jpg