The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   NGD - Santa Cruz Skye 00 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499555)

SprintBob 02-09-2018 07:34 AM

NGD - Santa Cruz Skye 00

Tuesday night was exciting for me as the UPS man delivered my new to me mint Santa Cruz Skye 00. This guitar has been on my short list for a couple of years but I always thought it would be out of my budget range if I considered a new one. I have been considering selling my Collings OM1AH in order to be able to fund a 12 fret, short scale version of the same. In looking at options on the market I came across two mint Skye 00's that were in the same price range if I was to buy the Collings I wanted as a new guitar. Compared to the Collings I wanted to own, the Skye 00 checks off all the boxes with two changes, Cocobolo back and sides and a 1-13/16" nut. As players, I think we all want to emulate better players who offer a style of playing that we aspire to and one of my best assurances that I would be very happy with this guitar is that I really enjoy Eric Skye's style. I'll certainly never be close to his level of playing but the mojo this guitar exudes will be an inspiration to work hard to improve and progress.

I always like to register in my mind the first impression of a new guitar and with this one, it's sustain that goes on and on along with the bloomy (but not excessive) overtones. My OM1AH's Adi top offers a clarity in its tone that I really like and the same is there with the Skye 00 with some added sparkle on the high end and a bit more thump in the low end. The low end is impressive considering the 00 body size. The fit for me is excellent and it feels at home when I hold it (like Eric I play sitting and use a Neck-Up with the peghead of the guitar just above shoulder level). My main concern was how I would get along with the 1-13/16" nut width but it's fine and I am finding I like the wider string spacing it provides. It might be a bit tougher to grab the low E with my thumb but I'll adjust to it. This guitar is a bit heavier than I expected and that has to be due to the Cocobolo but it has that "carved from a single block of metal feel" about it that you would associate with a tight German car.

This guitar obviously excels at fingerstyle but one of the draws for me was how much Eric uses it for flatpicking and I've had a lot of fun playing it with a range of picks (Dunlop nylon, Wegen, Blue Chip, V-Pick, Charmed Life). What has been really cool is that while there are obvious differences in tone with the different picks, they all sound good to my ears which offers a nice tonal palette to choose from. This guitar does not sound thin at all strumming cowboy chords with a Dunlop 60mm nylon pick and there is still plenty of low end. I guess that is what we call responsive.

I feel very fortunate and blessed to have been in a position to purchase this beautiful guitar. The only downside is that it'll probably be so good that I'll really need to be practical and seriously consider thinning the herd down.

Thanks for looking.

https://i.imgur.com/EWefrSv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mYj0iXV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/u9p7e1P.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QYon3Fk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vBz6oaK.jpg

drplayer 02-09-2018 07:40 AM

CONGRATS! The few of these I've played have all been outstanding guitars. A lot of Cocobolo is highly figured, but I personally like the straight-grained set you have on yours...enjoy!

imwjl 02-09-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintBob (Post 5633123)
This guitar obviously excels at fingerstyle but one of the draws for me was how much Eric uses it for flatpicking and I've had a lot of fun playing it with a range of picks (Dunlop nylon, Wegen, Blue Chip, V-Pick, Charmed Life). What has been really cool is that while there are obvious differences in tone with the different picks, they all sound good to my ears which offers a nice tonal palette to choose from. This guitar does not sound thin at all strumming cowboy chords with a Dunlop 60mm nylon pick and there is still plenty of low end. I guess that is what we call responsive.

I feel very fortunate and blessed to have been in a position to purchase this beautiful guitar. The only downside is that it'll probably be so good that I'll really need to be practical and seriously consider thinning the herd down.

Nice. Have fun sorting out what will be your keeper.

It seems to me that model would do about everything. My SCGC 14 fret 000 is fine for everything and at 9 years old really is a GAS killer. It's nice to have one beloved guitar, see the use show up on the finish, and use it for any sort of playing.

Enjoy it in good health!

tdq 02-09-2018 07:53 AM

Congrats! A Skye 00 is the guitar I covet the most. I've only played one very briefly twice but I knew in an instant. Jealous!!

M19 02-09-2018 08:00 AM

^^^ What he says ^^^

Methos1979 02-09-2018 08:07 AM

Gorgeous! One of my shortlist of guitars to one day test drive.

HOF dad 02-09-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdq (Post 5633141)
Congrats! A Skye 00 is the guitar I covet the most. I've only played one very briefly twice but I knew in an instant. Jealous!!

put me on that list too.
What an amazing guitar - you're a lucky man!
Congrats

Dan

cmd612 02-09-2018 08:35 AM

Sweeeet. Congrats!

musicman1951 02-09-2018 08:38 AM

That's a great guitar. Congratulations.

Orfeas 02-09-2018 08:38 AM

Ohhh my. Congrats.

I have had the opportunity to play one of Eric's sig models at CME about a year after I got my OM. I have to give a lot of kudos to the collaboration between Eric and Richard Hoover for this guitar. They absolutely nailed it. Eric's playing made me like jazz music. I don't know, I think is what he plays, how he plays, and that tone that he produces with this instrument that it's absolutely beautiful.

I will say it one more time, and I would never stop saying this. Richard Hoover's shop does something to instruments that I do not know nor can describe in technical terms. What I do know is that he makes instruments that their sound is magical to my ears.

Again, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

SprintBob 02-09-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imwjl (Post 5633134)
Nice. Have fun sorting out what will be your keeper.

It seems to me that model would do about everything. My SCGC 14 fret 000 is fine for everything and at 9 years old really is a GAS killer. It's nice to have one beloved guitar, see the use show up on the finish, and use it for any sort of playing.

Enjoy it in good health!

Been thinking a lot about that thinning thing and I see myself in 12-18 months probably having it down to 4-5 guitars including my Rainsong P-12 which I use primarily as a travel guitar. The short list could be the Skye, a Collings 00/000, and at least one of my Taylor Koas (because I think they have the most tonal contrast to the Skye 00). Any 00/000 12 fret from builders like SCGC or Collings are "Diva" guitars in that you don't want to mess it up by singing along :D. The Robinson 12 fret dread is another that will take a lot of thought whether it stays or finds a new home.

BrunoBlack 02-09-2018 08:54 AM

That’s a killer guitar. Looks gorgeous and they sound beautiful too. Looks like you’ve got a gem. Congratulations.

brencat 02-09-2018 09:03 AM

SB, that is an absolutely dynamite set of Cocobolo! Yes, guitars made out of Cocobolo are notably heavier than other rosewoods and that's a negative for me personally, but I have played a couple now from Goodall and Huss & Dalton, and the tonality it helps produce particularly in the highs and upper mids sounds the closest to BRW to me.

SCGC make incredible guitars -- enjoy! :)

Mr. Paul 02-09-2018 09:20 AM

Looks like a right answer to me, Congrats.

Glennwillow 02-09-2018 09:25 AM

Beautiful guitar, Bob! Congratulations!

- Glenn