The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   T5 vs Ovation VXT Hybrid (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120087)

hnl414kce 03-04-2008 10:05 PM

T5 vs Ovation VXT Hybrid

I am contemplating purchase of an electric guitar with acoustic capabilities. Of course, I have to consider a T5.

However, I now have a Ovation VXT Standard in my sights. The metallic silver finish combined with the blendable electric/acoustic tonability has got me SMITTEN! This guitar is also a few hundred dollars less expensive than the T5.

Have you guys tried the VXT? Any feedback on the pros & cons of both would be of great help.

Mahalo,
hnl414kce

Taylor_guy414 03-05-2008 01:10 AM

I have never played the Ovation VXT before but I do own a T5. I know many people, including people here, do not like the T5 for one reason or another. I personally love my T5 and am pleased with it. At first I did not like it too much because it didn't sound as like as my 414ce ltd. plugged in or as like a strat, but that was unfair to expect that IMO. Once I played around with it some and learned a little more about it, I started to like it alot. Now I would not trade it for anyother hybrid style guitar. I play mostly at church and play out some, but the music I play the T5 sounds perfect for. I dont play alot of stuff with alot of really heavy crunch like death metal or anything. So depending on the style you play and more importantly what sounds good to you, the T5 would be my suggestion. But thats just IMO.

Earthworm 03-05-2008 04:18 AM

Of the two choices, I'd go with the T5. However, about a month and a half ago our local GC had that Ovation guitar on clearance...$500. That was a pretty tempting deal.

You should snoop around and see if more are available.

Michael T 03-05-2008 08:16 AM

I too love my T5-12 for a lot of different reasons but primarily the control over the tone blends I have learned to use over the past few months.

I think your opening line pretty much describes the intent for your purchase "electric with acoustic capabilities". The Ovation uses an imaging processor for the acoustic tones and has separate out puts for acoustic-electric. It may be more of a fit for your intent.

Of course there is no substitue for playing both as in an A/B comparison. The downside to that is the T5 does have a learning curve that would be difficult to feel confident with when you 1st pick it up.

In an ideal set of circumstances if you could spend some time with each separately to find the settings you may use most for each, Then, A/B them with the same amp you may be able to feel more comfortable with your choice.

I am biased of course, but the fit/finish and playability of the T5's are outstanding (IMHO). Another consideration that has been threaded recently are the crowdsters, they also sound like a fine consideration.

Good luck, have fun, and play on!

dcopper 03-05-2008 12:53 PM

I have two T5s and they are my main guitars for just about everything. They are set up slightly differently. I played the Ovation VXT and IMHO it felt like a toy to me. I did not like the neck and I thought the overall electronics were weak. I say that after owning many Ovations and I still have and use my 1985 collector's series. One other option for you might be to look at the new Ibanez Matrix (I think that is the name). It is another hybrid but with boatloads of new stuff - - on board tuner, reverb, chorus. It has a mag humbucker and B-Band undersaddle electronics with full eq control. I am anxious just to try this one out.

Joe F 03-05-2008 01:03 PM

I read the other day on here somewhere that Rick Turner is also going to work up a new version of the RS-6 which will have electric pickups added and dual outputs for both the acoustic and electric pickups. I think it was called "The Duo" or something like that.

PS. The Ibanez model is the "Montage".

http://www.ibanez.com/acoustic/series.aspx?s=Montage

hnl414kce 03-09-2008 02:30 PM

Great Feedback...

Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate each of your insight.

Taylor Guy - I also play at my church, all acoustic on my Taylor 114ce or 414kce Ltd. However, I wanted to incorporate some electric tones into my sonic palette. I like to crunch & on a recent visit to Island Guitars (Honolulu Ward Warehouse-Guys/Gals stop by if you're on our friendly shores), I played a Curly Maple T5 that screamed & wailed on a little ol' Vox DA15. The acoustic tone on a Marshall 100 watt acoustic amp were pretty close to the expected Taylor quality. However, I was really impressed by the electric expressiveness of the instrument. I think that DA15 had something to do with it. I was playing in their dedicated electric guitar/amp A/B room. The "three" of us (myself/T5/DA15) were "shakin' the rafters" in there. The T5 can definitely rock & roll!!

Earthworm - I might have gone for that $500 clearance VXT, however I test drove a VXT Standard-Black Metallic at Easy Music (S. King St, Honolulu-helpful staff-lots of toys) and wasn't impressed. The acoustic tones thru a SWR Strawberry Blond was very ordinary & the electric vibe through a little Fender tube amp wasn't memorable. Very disappointing!

Michael T - You are very right! I have a bunch of acoustic guitars & my next purchase is going to be an electric guitar that can provide some tasty acoustic tones when the situation requires. The T5 is definitely a FINE instrument. However, the premium price for this quality is a consideration. I believe the Crowdster gets up into the $3000-$4000 range! Way too pricy!

dcropper - Thanks for turning me on to the Ibanez "Montage". I have done my due diligence, online research, google, YouTube. Everything except actually playing the dang thing with my own hands.

Joe F - Thanks for the correct Montage reference.

I will very shortly be dropping some coin for a Quilted Maple Montage. All things considered: Electric guitar with acoustic capabilities; Versatility-can dial up a bunch of tasty tones; Features-onboard tuner, separate volume controls, overdrive, etc, too many to mention; Aesthetics-the looks gradually grew on me-gotta have gold tuners & a cutaway & Value/Price-can't beat even the price for the koa model.

Will report upon initial test drive & beyond...

I will definitely still have the T5 in my sights! After that recent awesome test drive, I know I'll soon include one of them in my arsenal. High quality instrument, very good acoustic tones, awesome electric riffs!

Mahalo for your kind participation,
hnl414kce

cooperro 03-10-2008 06:17 PM

T5 Lover

Hey guy,
After much playing/testing various Taylor acoustics, I ended up with a Fall 2007 limited edition (T5-LTD). I just want to say that after two weeks with it, I have absolutely no regrets. It has a gorgeous quilted maple top and those fancy artist fingerboard inlays. And, it plays like a dream - I love the wide neck low action "electric guitar" feel. It's light too - I pick it up all the time to noodle and practice. I'm a rock/blues/jazz player, and wanted an acoustic type sound. My biggest problem with the 814 I went down to buy was that I couldn't play my jazz stuff (think Joe Pass) too much above the 12th fret.

As soon as I realized what I was looking for, the T5 was a no-brainer. It sounds fine (to my ears) as a plugged-in acoustic, and is a lot easier to practice on than my L5-CES. Plus, it plays easy like my LP and Strat. I just love it! It was a bit pricey ($2,600), but I forget that whenever I pick it up or just plain look at it.

icanfly012 03-10-2008 10:17 PM

Pick up a crowdster plus used? I love my T5. Ovation's just don't feel right to me. I have an Ovation but I only like it cause it sounds pretty good plugged in and I don't have to really worry about messing it up at church.

roggli 04-29-2013 01:30 AM

Before Taylor T5 now Ovation VXT....

Well, I donīt know, but have any one, here, really compared these guitars ?
I had a Taylor T5-C, very nice and good for my needs, sounds great.
But I tested a used Ovation VXT for 3 months ago in my local store, so now Iīm a happy owner of this "miracle" VXT, I think itīs better in everything, compare to the T5. I got 1350 bucks for my T5 and gave 900 bucks for the used VXT, my T5 was in almost mint shape, 9,5 in a scale to 10 and the VXT was in very good shape 8, in a scale to 10 ! And I got a better guitar.... Strange world............. But the T5 isnīt a bad guitar, not at all, but the VXT is better, almost in everything, and better looking, in my personally taste.
So now Iīm a Ovation owner, a happy one.

roggli 04-29-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icanfly012 (Post 1411575)
Pick up a crowdster plus used? I love my T5. Ovation's just don't feel right to me. I have an Ovation but I only like it cause it sounds pretty good plugged in and I don't have to really worry about messing it up at church.

But now you have missed the "point", we compare the Taylor T5 with the Ovation VXT, not with the acoustic/electric guitars..........

Try a VXT, and you will be surprised !

Pro10 06-16-2016 08:20 AM

Taylor T5c1 and Ovation VXT

I have a mint 2013 Blue Taylor T5c1 and Ovation VXT 2008 Candy Apple Red. They have each been used on stage once and for a music video. I use my two Ovation Vipers for the stage. Both of these guitars are in Nashville, TN at the moment if anyone wants to give them a test drive. I am willing to part with them and make a deal with the buyer who will give them a nice home.

Sonics 06-16-2016 02:38 PM

I'm biased, but it's not for everyone...

ahorsewithnonam 06-16-2016 03:30 PM

A 3 year old thread brought back!!!! Why?

JohnW63 06-16-2016 04:58 PM

Some one did a search on guitars they wouldn't mind parting with and posted as such.

They might do better putting them in the Classified section .