The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Thinking about slowing down my playing a bit (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503070)

TBman 03-11-2018 06:34 AM

Thinking about slowing down my playing a bit

I'm starting to get a pinky joint issue on my fretting hand. I've been practicing a song a lot that is in the key of A and has a lot of the xx2225 position. The chord is really x0xx25 in the notation so I could actually make it easier on myself but habit makes me do the full chord. Anyway it hurts when I switch to something like 2xx230 (pinky on the b string) and other positions now sometimes. I'm thinking taking a break from the key of A might be a good idea or at least this song (which is a fun one to learn though.)

I have to admit I've been practicing this song for at least 2 hours a night since 3/3/18.

I could load up on Advil/Motrin too, :D

HHP 03-11-2018 06:51 AM

A journalist once asked Johnny Cash about his band's slower, deliberate tempo on his songs. He replied "We'd play faster if we could."

mr. beaumont 03-11-2018 07:37 AM

Capo at the third and shorten the scale for a bit.

2 hours a night on one piece of music? My brain would hurt long before my fingers;)

jpd 03-11-2018 11:04 AM

"I have to admit I've been practicing this song for at least 2 hours a night since 3/3/18."

Aha!:rolleyes:

muscmp 03-11-2018 11:36 AM

stay away from the drugs!! do warm up exercises prior to playing.

play music!

Long Jon 03-11-2018 12:04 PM

Pretty quick to blame the guitar.

You ever think it might be caused by all the posting Barry ?

:D

Pitar 03-11-2018 12:24 PM

Two hours covers my entire repertoire. That's way more than I would ever play for an audience, outside of El Dorado, in a given performance.

mattwood 03-11-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Jon (Post 5665804)

LOL!:roll:

TBman 03-11-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Jon (Post 5665804)

Yeah I'm starting to feel like a guest who doesn't know when to leave....

Mr. Jelly 03-11-2018 05:31 PM

Watch yourself! You don't want to have it turn into a bigger problem. Lighten up a bit. The new song will wait.

This reminds me of a friend of mine having a knee issue. He'd been retired several months and mentioned that he was worried about his knee. It was hurting and he was thinking of going to the doctor. I found out a month after our talk that he'd taken up walking six miles a day since he retired. Heellllooo?

MrDB 03-11-2018 05:34 PM

If you slow down quite a bit you can jam with me!

I clock my chord changes with a sundial.....

rogthefrog 03-11-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5665498)
something like 2xx230 (pinky on the b string)

Can you play that thumb over, index, middle finger instead?

In general, though, if it hurts, stop. :)

TBman 03-11-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogthefrog (Post 5666147)
Can you play that thumb over, index, middle finger instead?

In general, though, if it hurts, stop. :)

I could actually do that, thanks.

Imbler 03-11-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5666189)
I could actually do that, thanks.

Yes, seriously. After retiring, I was working up the entire Chopin etudes to play all in one sitting. I ignored the pain figuring I could "play hurt". It literally took years to "mostly recover" which is why guitar is now my primary instrument (it works the tendons in slightly different ways than piano did where they aren't damaged.

Anyway, in hindsight, for me there was a difference between some aching from over work and actual pain.
Stop when you feel pain and do something that doesn't hurt. Might be different song, or different exercises, or maybe you need to lay off for a while.

While everyone is different, what is also helpful for me is to do 10 minutes or so at a time, then take a minute or so break. It lets things relax and lets the blood flow back in. I'm in my sixties, younger people probably don't need to be as careful as I am now!

The only reason I'm writing is to possibly save someone the frustration I had of losing skill while waiting to heal.

TBman 03-11-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imbler (Post 5666217)
Yes, seriously. After retiring, I was working up the entire Chopin etudes to play all in one sitting. I ignored the pain figuring I could "play hurt". It literally took years to "mostly recover" which is why guitar is now my primary instrument (it works the tendons in slightly different ways than piano did where they aren't damaged.

Anyway, in hindsight, for me there was a difference between some aching from over work and actual pain.
Stop when you feel pain and do something that doesn't hurt. Might be different song, or different exercises, or maybe you need to lay off for a while.

While everyone is different, what is also helpful for me is to do 10 minutes or so at a time, then take a minute or so break. It lets things relax and lets the blood flow back in. I'm in my sixties, younger people probably don't need to be as careful as I am now!

The only reason I'm writing is to possibly save someone the frustration I had of losing skill while waiting to heal.

Thanks, I'm in my early 60s too. I took it easier today, worked on other things. I had no discomfort later today.