The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New Pickup System - THANKS (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258351)

Gorquin 07-12-2012 05:07 AM

New Pickup System - THANKS

I just wanted to say thanks to LJ and everyone else for your help when I was getting all kinds of feedback and a less than desireable sound from my Martin OMC-28E.

I sold the Fishman Ellipse Aura system that came with the guitar and purchased a K&K Trinity Solo from Shorline Music and found a great deal on a mint cond. D-TAR Solstice w/carry bag on Craigslist for more than $100 less than what I could have purchased a new unit for.

Following the instructions that came with the K&K and taking my time with the install turned a very positive result. It was a one shot deal and I had absolutely NO problems with the install. I can adjust the Mic and UST's separately and "dial in" a much better sound than I could with the Ellipse. I still have to become more aquainted with the system and do some more tweaking but I see a huge improvement so far.

Perhaps it was just that my guitar has a very resonant top, I'm not sure but the Ellipse Aura just didn't do it for me and was far too sensitive to feedback. On a guitar with a less resonant top.... it probably would have sounded great.

The Solstice is a bit heavy but that's not a bad thing for those who want to set it on top of an amp because it's less likely to move. I will purchase the Mic Stand adapter or get a tray because I like to have the controls close to me. It has a lot of great features although a para eq might have been better it seems like the best choice of current dual input pre's available.

So far.....so good.

Sooooooooooo......Thanks again for the help everyone!

ljguitar 07-12-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorquin (Post 3107124)
...Thanks again for the help everyone!

Hi Gorquin...

Glad it is working out for you. I have a tray which attaches to a mic stand (not the one designed for the Solstice), and carry it with me. I widened the fork (had it ground out a bit), and it clips to the bottom of the stand as well as the upper tube depending on whether I'm sitting or standing.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

It's about 10'' X 11'' and very sturdy. It doesn't take up a whole stand by itself like the Solstice tray. I have a friend who has the Solstice one, and he doesn't like the fact that he has to pack along an entire extra stand just for it.

El Conquistador 07-12-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorquin (Post 3107124)
Perhaps it was just that my guitar has a very resonant top, I'm not sure but the Ellipse Aura just didn't do it for me and was far too sensitive to feedback. On a guitar with a less resonant top.... it probably would have sounded great.

The Ellipse Aura is definitely NOT for everyone (me included). I am guessing you would have had the same response to this system on any guitar.

Thank goodness that we all have lots of choices these days, and, thank goodness for forums like the AGF that allowed you to find what works for you.

Steve

Gorquin 07-12-2012 09:04 PM

K&k

I don't use my Guild D40 on gigs but the Ellipse would probably sound pretty good on that guitar because the top is thick and doesn't resonate nearly as much as the Martin.

But yes, it's nice to have choices.

Gorquin 07-12-2012 09:06 PM

Thanks LJ, I'll check out that tray.

sublro 07-13-2012 04:36 PM

LJ, where'd you buy that tray?

ljguitar 07-13-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublro (Post 3109008)
LJ, where'd you buy that tray?

Hi sublro...

Tray at Amazon - CLiCK