The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   QSC K10 as acoustic amp? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460217)

Petty1818 02-16-2017 08:40 PM

QSC K10 as acoustic amp?

I have been looking for ways to improve my acoustic levels on stage. We use K10's as monitors but I find that with every other instrument running through them, I still struggle to really pick out my guitar, especially for solos. I have wanted to get an acoustic amp but I was thinking about it tonight and I have a separate K10 that we hardly ever use. I am thinking that instead of spending more money, I could just use it. I would plan to run my mandolin and acoustic through my Grace Design Felix to the board and then take the amp out to the K10 that I would have on the floor, angled up towards me. Thoughts?

jonfields45 02-16-2017 09:05 PM

IMHO as good or better than any dedicated acoustic amp. Only missing EQ and effects which you can do elsewhere. I switched from a K10 to a Yamaha DBR10 to cut down on weight, but the K10 was excellent.

Guest23343 02-16-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonfields45 (Post 5234750)
IMHO as good or better than any dedicated acoustic amp. Only missing EQ and effects which you can do elsewhere. I switched from a K10 to a Yamaha DBR10 to cut down on weight, but the K10 was excellent.

Agreed. Some people moan about the "flat" response, but I personally love that the K10 doesn't color the input tone much (if at all).

Now, grabbing a Fishman Mini might be a cheap and effective option, too. I love the K series, but I've also used a Fishman Mini as a monitor and ran it into PA systems.

Dan Lampton 02-16-2017 11:10 PM

I've been using a K8 for several years. I want for nothing. I think it sounds great.

midwinter 02-16-2017 11:30 PM

I use a K8 as one (instrument > PZ PRe > K8) when I need it.

Petty1818 02-17-2017 08:55 AM

Thanks everyone, I will give it a try this weekend! The K8 is an option as well but I already have the K10 and it's not that heavy so it makes good sense to try it. The Felix should also give me that EQ that the K10 might be missing. I will report back after my show on Saturday.

Woodstock School Of Music 02-17-2017 08:58 AM

I would think the K10 with a good eq/preamp on the front end would kill just about any amp out there

Rumblefish 02-17-2017 09:36 AM

I think you'll be pretty pleased. They sound great and you'll get exactly the volume you need. Added benefit: If one of your mains ever fail you can press your monitor into "front of house" duty and finish the show. I use a Yamaha DXR10 which I preferred slightly to the QSC but only slightly and there are many who prefer the K10/K8. The K8 has a wider (105 degrees) dispersion so I'd go with the 90 degree, K10 for monitor purposes.

Irish Pennant 02-17-2017 10:02 AM

Are you saying, Instrument > Grace Design Felix > K10 > Main board. This would give you your own monitor with your own control. It's an easy thing to try since you already have all the components. Let us know the end results.

zhunter 02-17-2017 10:37 AM

A K10 works fine. You may want a preamp mini/mixer if you don't have one.

hunter

Petty1818 02-17-2017 05:17 PM

I just want to clarify that I will be using the Grace Design Felix for my eq controls, I think that might have been missed in my original post. The plan is to run my instruments into the Felix, have an XLR cable go from the Felix to the board and then use the amp out on the Felix to go to the K10 as a stage monitor. Sounds like it will work great!

a-cue-stick 02-17-2017 05:51 PM

It will. I do it every weekend and it's awesome. Plus, I do it with ONE K10. Never bought a second one, and never felt that I needed it. In fact, several of my buddies are now gigging with one speaker based on how full they thought my sound was. If you're just one guy with a mic and a guitar, there's no reason that I can find to set up as if you were a full band.

Of course, I suppose a bigger place could merit using more than one speaker, but I've done this for years, and even outdoor gigs are fine with one K10. I think you're gonna love it!

bbob 02-21-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The dman (Post 5235105)
I would think the K10 with a good eq/preamp on the front end would kill just about any amp out there

I have a QSC K8 and am interested in this thread.

What would be some examples of good eq/preamps for single guitar / solo performer, small room.

Thanks.

Bob

Turp 02-21-2017 02:48 PM

I understand you're using it as a personal monitor in a stage setting and believe you'll find it more than adequate. But The 8" and 10" size is a great for solo acoustic. I have a Schertler David that's great but knowing what I know now, I'd just bought a quality PA. The Schertler doesn't leave the house now after getting a Yamaha DBR10. The QSC is a great PA and I've read quite a few posts about its use by solo performers. A quality EQ is necessary and you have that covered.

Irish Pennant 02-21-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbob (Post 5240319)
I have a QSC K8 and am interested in this thread.

What would be some examples of good eq/preamps for single guitar / solo performer, small room.

Thanks.

Bob

I'd run it through a Zoom A3 pedal then into an Allen and Heath Zed 10 fx mixer and then into the K8.

The mixer will give you vocal channels as well as a USB port for connecting a laptop as well as ports for connecting tablets.

I own a Zoom A3 and a Zed 10fx, that's why I would use those items. Regardless of what brand I would still consider Guitar > Pedal > Mixer > Speaker......Mic > Mixer > Speaker.