The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Why Are Guitars called "Axes"? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132307)

Forensicguy 08-06-2008 09:54 AM

Why Are Guitars called "Axes"?

I'd heard it's because Gibson SG guitars look like an executioner's Ax. Is that the reason?

Acousticado 08-06-2008 10:01 AM

It's because guitarists have "chops"!
He "slayed" that song!
That guitar is "killer"!
:guitar::D

wtmed 08-06-2008 10:05 AM

They are used to "murder" audiences.

ScottAllyn 08-06-2008 10:07 AM

http://www.punkn.com/RGW/images/axe2.jpg

:D

Howard Klepper 08-06-2008 10:08 AM

No, no. This is old jazz usage that began with saxophone and other horn players. It may be from the sound of the word "sax," or from the player "swinging." From there any musical instrument became an axe. "Chops" is from use of the jaw and lips to play those instruments. It takes strong "chops" to make a good embouchure. That jazz slang also was extended to other instruments, probably in the 1950's. The reference of "chops" to lips is old--it predates jazz by a long way.

Acousticado 08-06-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Klepper (Post 1559602)
No, no. This is old jazz usage that began with saxophone and other horn players. "Chops" is from use of the jaw and mouth to play those instruments. Predates the solid body guitar.

Tell Jimi that! :D

Marshall 08-06-2008 10:13 AM

Cause most of us are hacks.

FLDavid 08-06-2008 10:21 AM

You are correct, sir

Quote:

No, no. This is old jazz usage that began with saxophone and other horn players. . .

Hold your calls. . . :)

Musicians have been asking, "Did you bring your axe?" for many moons
Not exclusive to guitar

Acoustic Rick 08-06-2008 10:24 AM

Because practice time is often referred to as "woodshedding". The woodshed is where you would use your "axe" to cut wood.

FLDavid 08-06-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Rick (Post 1559621)
Because practice time is often referred to as "woodshedding". The woodshed is where you would use your "axe" to cut wood.

Hence the famous "Woodchoppers Ball" (made famous by Woody Herman)

Here's a link to an up-tempo, abbreviated version

oldrocker 08-06-2008 10:59 AM

I don't call them that because to me that makes no sense--and I'm a guitar player.

So why do some guitar players call their collection of "axes" a "herd?"

How did these undescriptive analogies about chopping and groups of animals come to be applied to beautiful instruments?

teleguy 08-06-2008 11:07 AM

Axes of Evil

I thought it was because back in the ‘30s – ‘40s Mussolini, Hirohito and Hitler had a little combo, they all played early Gibson electrics, so the group was called "Axis” but over time the spelling changed. Of course I could be wrong on one or two points.

ewalling 08-06-2008 12:45 PM

I think whatever its origins, "axe" for guitar is one of those words which denotes attitude and (maybe) age. For a mild-mannered guy in his 40s who plays acoustic guitars at home, the word "axe" would sound kind of ridiculous from my mouth.

xanatos 08-06-2008 12:54 PM

From ethymology online (for what it's worth)

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none

Quote:

ax/axe
O.E. æces, later æx, from P.Gmc. *akusjo (cf. O.S. accus, O.N. ex, O.Fris. axe, Ger. Axt, Goth. aqizi), from PIE *agw(e)si- (cf. Gk. axine, L. ascia). Meaning "musical instrument" is 1955, originally jazz slang for the saxophone; rock slang for "guitar" dates to 1967. Figurative verbal sense of "discharge (someone) from office," especially as a cost-saving measure, is from 1922, probably from the notion of the headman's axe. To have an axe to grind is from an 1815 essay by U.S. newspaper editor Charles Miner, in which a man flatters a boy and gets him to do the chore of axe-grinding for him, then leaves without offering thanks or recompense.

Djeff 08-06-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

No, no. This is old jazz usage that began with saxophone and other horn players. It may be from the sound of the word "sax," or from the player "swinging." From there any musical instrument became an axe. "Chops" is from use of the jaw and lips to play those instruments. It takes strong "chops" to make a good embouchure. That jazz slang also was extended to other instruments, probably in the 1950's. The reference of "chops" to lips is old--it predates jazz by a long way.

Howard has the vote on this according to www.word-detective.com. They state:

"The use of “axe” as slang for a musical instrument dates back to 1955, i.e., in the edenic pre-Kiss days. The instrument to which “axe” was first applied, however, was not the guitar, but the saxophone. The logic may have been simply the “sax/axe” rhyme, but another theory ties “axe” to the “swing” of a jazz sax player in full stride. “Axe” was also later applied to the trumpet before becoming accepted as slang for the guitar, a use which has probably persisted in part because of the instrument’s resemblance to an actual axe."