The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Tab format question (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491006)

Wengr 11-28-2017 08:48 AM

Tab format question

Hello, what is your preferred format for commercially available guitar tablature?

Sagebrush Tom 11-28-2017 11:32 AM

Would have voted had there been a choice for music notation just above the tab.

Tom

polarred21 11-28-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagebrush Tom (Post 5550762)

Tom

X2...........

TBman 11-28-2017 11:36 AM

The tab numbers between the lines are harder for me to sight read quickly. Probably because I'm just used to the on the line method. Stephan Grossman uses the space method. Good music inspite of the tab methodology. I just adapt and go slower.

guitar george 11-28-2017 11:40 AM

I've known about tabs for years, but, never used them. Give me a chord diagram and I can do it. I didn't vote because there's no option for "never use them".

vindibona1 11-28-2017 12:38 PM

Actually, I prefer standard tab, six lines with frets on the lines...BUT WITH STANDARD NOTATION ON A STAFF ABOVE. To me tabs by themselves are this side of useless. Knowing where to put your fingers is only useful if you know WHEN to put your fingers there. Also, especially with altered tunings, if you're trying to previsualize what the written music is supposed to sound like, tab by itself just doesn't cut it.

HHP 11-28-2017 12:49 PM

Prefer fret number on the line, with all timing marks also added or notation combined. I do it this way myself and when I need to provide to others, they have no problem with note location or timing.

rick-slo 11-28-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitar george (Post 5550777)
I've known about tabs for years, but, never used them. Give me a chord diagram and I can do it. I didn't vote because there's no option for "never use them".

Yep, tabs are for sissies.

paulp1960 11-28-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagebrush Tom (Post 5550762)

Tom

Me too I like both, tab for finger choice and position and music notation for what it sounds like. I often change the positions to what suits me later on.

Wengr 11-28-2017 04:27 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I consider notation above the tab to be a separate issue, as it can occur above either form of tab.
What I'm trying to gauge here is, what is preferred - fret numbers on the lines, or fret numbers in the spaces.

john57classic 11-28-2017 04:38 PM

When I learned what tablature was (in the mid 70s) my teacher just used regular staff paper with the spaces, including above and below the staff, being the strings. If I write something in tablature today I still do it the same way.

Denny B 11-28-2017 09:43 PM

When I use Tab, I use six lines and fret #'s on the lines...

And I certainly don't have any problem knowing when to play the note, or timing issues in any way...

DupleMeter 11-28-2017 10:28 PM

I voted for the traditional 6 line TAB, but I also think TAB should always be paired with standard notation.

JonPR 11-29-2017 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wengr (Post 5551060)
Thanks for all the responses. I consider notation above the tab to be a separate issue, as it can occur above either form of tab.
What I'm trying to gauge here is, what is preferred - fret numbers on the lines, or fret numbers in the spaces.

Definitely on the lines, if only because that's conventional.

It's also more intuitive, because it means the lines represent the strings themselves, with the numbers like fingertips. With the other system, you have to imagine the *spaces between the lines* as the strings - which is weird.

I've only ever seen one person use the spaces version and that's Stefan Grossman. I'm guessing the only advantage is that the numbers are clearer against white space than against a line. But then software (like ASCII tab) enables breaks in the line around the numbers, so that advantage disappears - unless you're drawing the lines by hand. I'm guessing that's how Stefan developed his method.
Do you know any other (or earlier) examples of that method?

Mr. Jelly 11-29-2017 05:46 AM

I would like chord designations above finger picking tabs. I'd go over country blues finger picking tabs and figure out what chord the originator was playing out of.