The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Best gauge pick for strumming? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171028)

TaylorGA8 12-11-2009 01:57 PM

Best gauge pick for strumming?

Hello,

In your opinion what is the best gauge pick for strumming?

Thank you.

McCawber 12-11-2009 02:02 PM

If you're not really going to be pushing the guitar (e.g., heavy-duty flat picking) I'd stay with a light gauge string set. Easier on the guitar, they sound great if at a bit lower volume; just doesn't have quite the headroom of medium gauge strings.

Wade Hampton 12-11-2009 02:08 PM

To really get a good rhythm chop going, in my experience, you need a flatpick with a bit of flex to it. The traditional standby is the Fender Medium pick, but I like a bit thicker pick and use the D'Andrea Classic Celluloid picks in medium-heavy, which give me a nice tone for lead runs but retain enough flex to be useful for rhythm work, as well.

Wade Hampton Miller

Acoustic Rick 12-11-2009 02:09 PM

I use a Dunlop .46 or .60mm

Heavier depending on what I'm playing and how much I want out of my guitar at any given time.

Roman 12-11-2009 02:11 PM

It all boils down to the guitar and especially the set up.

A higher (more space between strings and frets) will allow for a heavy pic and some serious strumming.

A low setup (more finger style or "easier") I would suggest a light guage pick, say a .046 or .060 . . . just my opinion.

Of course, with the individual's attack, all bets are off!

Tunes 12-11-2009 02:12 PM

I think you'll get a huge variety of resposes on this. Throught lots of trial and error I seem to have settled on .80mm for strumming, but also go up to, .96mm, depending on the material used for the specific plectrum.

For everyday strumming use I like Clayton .80mm, but also use the Jim Dunlop .96mm.

Glennwillow 12-11-2009 02:21 PM

I'm sure the answers are going to vary all over the map. I used to use 0.40 mm flat picks, fairly light, but now I have gravitated to heavier picks, 1 - 1.4 mm. I like the Dunlop 1 mm nylon pick and I like the Wegen 1.4 mm Bluegrass pick these days.

The heavier picks not only have a more solid sound, but give me more control over dynamics from soft to loud depending on the flexibility I allow my wrist and fingers.

Regards, Glenn

Reviveourhomes 12-11-2009 02:22 PM

This is such a subjective question. Just to show that....I use the lightest pick that I have ever been able to find, which is the Dunlop .38mm, if I want a little stiffer I go with the Clayton .38mm

rmyAddison 12-11-2009 02:37 PM

I'm with Glenn..........

I use Wegenpick Bluegrass 1.2 for everything any more. To me lighter picks sound "thin" and too bright, but as mentioned it's all personal preference.

But, you do not need light picks to play fast, just some practice.

Glennwillow 12-11-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmyAddison (Post 2049890)
I'm with Glenn..........

I use Wegenpick Bluegrass 1.2 for everything any more. To me lighter picks sound "thin" and too bright, but as mentioned it's all personal preference.

But, you do not need light picks to play fast, just some practice.

Rich,

Doesn't that heavier pick slow down your transient response?;)

Regards, Glenn

owlshead 12-11-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Rick (Post 2049847)
I use a Dunlop .46 or .60mm

Heavier depending on what I'm playing and how much I want out of my guitar at any given time.

Ditto :up:

aml1000 12-11-2009 03:04 PM

Played with light picks for a while, but have grown to appreciate 1mm or so. I also like the Dunlop .96mm picks. I was gifted on odd shaped tortoiseshell pick a while back. I really like that, though I don't necessarily want to... It's probably a bit thicker than 1mm. I find the thicker picks allow for a punchier, more pronounced sound, and ultimately more versatility based on how light or heavy the attack. But of course this is a very personal preference.

dgrolem 12-11-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 2049915)
Rich,

Regards, Glenn

The only transient response I run into is: "Hey, gimme a dollar".

Oh, sorry wrong kinda transient.

Aaron Smith 12-11-2009 03:38 PM

I use 0.75mm for rhythm strumming, and usually over a millimeter when playing predominantly leads. I also strum with these sometimes, but I'll use one of the blunt "back" corners of the pick so it glides over the strings easier.

rmyAddison 12-11-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 2049915)
Rich,

Regards, Glenn

;) No, because I don't have to wait for a thin flexible pick to catch up....;)