The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   String Change Time: Help Me Decide! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485918)

Ed-in-Ohio 10-13-2017 04:30 AM

String Change Time: Help Me Decide!

I'll soon be changing strings on my LoPrinzi AR-38. It is a Sitka over EI Rosewood dreadnought built on the D-28 platform. It's tone is quite balanced (especially for a rosewood dread), and my playing is about 60% strumming, 40% fingerpicking, solo and small ensemble Americana.

Help me pick the next set of strings! Since I've had the guitar, I have had GHS Signature Bronze strings in New Medium on it. The performance has been fine, but not to the point that I'm thinking "I need to stick with these strings".

The choices in the poll are what I have on hand, so it will be one of those sets, so there is no "other" choice. :)

Oh, and if it makes an difference for your vote, I'll be having my tech install an LR Baggs Lyric in the guitar at the time of the string change.

Your votes and comments welcome!

AndrewG 10-13-2017 04:36 AM

They're your ears, so why are you considering other's opinions which will, naturally, be equally subjective? Experiment!

Ed-in-Ohio 10-13-2017 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 5504395)
They're your ears, so why are you considering other's opinions which will, naturally, be equally subjective? Experiment!

Just for fun. I thought this would be something folks might enjoy voting on. I'm not expecting a definitive finding, and if I don't like the set chosen I'll just change them.

It is okay to post these polls for pure enjoyment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 5504395)
...snip...why are you considering other's opinions which will, naturally, be equally subjective? ...snip...

Oh, and following this reasoning would basically eliminate the AGF. We are here to share opinions.

Brucebubs 10-13-2017 04:55 AM

Looking at what you've been using, the GHS True Mediums are;
- 13 - 17 - 24 - 32 - 42 - 56

D'Addario Nickel Bronze Mediums are;
- 13 - 17 - 26 - 35 - 45 - 56

And D'Addario Nickel Bronze 'Balanced Tension' Mediums are;
- 13.5 - 18 - 24 - 32 - 42 - 56

AndrewG 10-13-2017 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio (Post 5504404)
Just for fun. I thought this would be something folks might enjoy voting on. I'm not expecting a definitive finding, and if I don't like the set chosen I'll just change them.

It is okay to post these polls for pure enjoyment.

Oh, and following this reasoning would basically eliminate the AGF. We are here to share opinions.

If I tell you what my favourite ice cream flavour is, will you base your decision on my preference?;)

Ed-in-Ohio 10-13-2017 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 5504421)
If I tell you what my favourite ice cream flavour is, will you base your decision on my preference?;)

If you told me on an ice cream forum, sure! I would be on that forum to expand my world of options, my knowledge, and my experience of ice cream.

Also, it might be FUN to try your favorite ice cream flavor.

This is all meant to be FUN.

By the way Andrew, what is your favorite ice cream flavor? I'll try it (as long as it isn't "chunky" [with nuts in it - my diverticulitis makes nuts "iffy" for me]). My favorites are banana and coffee. Have fun!

macmanmatty 10-13-2017 05:25 AM

buy all six packs and string as follows

1st string- GHS Phosphor Bronze - Light
2nd string- GHS Signature Bronze - True Medium (current strings)
3rd string- GHS White Bronze - Light
4th string- John Pearse 80/20 - New Medium
5th string-John Pearse Bronze & Silk - Light/Med
6th string-Martin Retro - Light

Ed-in-Ohio 10-13-2017 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucebubs (Post 5504415)
...snip...
D'Addario Nickel Bronze Mediums are;
- 13 - 17 - 26 - 35 - 45 - 56
And D'Addario Nickel Bronze 'Balanced Tension' Mediums are;
- 13.5 - 18 - 24 - 32 - 42 - 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio (Post 5504388)
...snip...The choices in the poll are what I have on hand, so it will be one of those sets, so there is no "other" choice. :)
...snip...

[BIG SIGH]

rokdog49 10-13-2017 06:02 AM

I would suggest you try the Martin Retros because then you'll know if they are "the ones". All the others are PB's

Ed-in-Ohio 10-13-2017 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmanmatty (Post 5504444)
buy all six packs and string as follows

1st string- GHS Phosphor Bronze - Light
2nd string- GHS Signature Bronze - True Medium (current strings)
3rd string- GHS White Bronze - Light
4th string- John Pearse 80/20 - New Medium
5th string-John Pearse Bronze & Silk - Light/Med
6th string-Martin Retro - Light

Love this! Both a great post, and horrible advice. Epic! :)

jaymarsch 10-13-2017 08:37 AM

I voted for the GHS signature bronze as I have liked those strings on my rosewood guitars. The Pearse 80/20s would be my second choice.

Best,
Jayne

BFD 10-13-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokdog49 (Post 5504480)
I would suggest you try the Martin Retros because then you'll know if they are "the ones". All the others are PB's

Agree w/RD. Some folks feel they're at their worst when brand new, FYI. They're also reputed to have good longevity, which I found to be the case. I liked 'em, but am constantly sampling, with D'Addario PBs as the benchmark.
BTW, IMO you should definitely try more mediums on that dread. Also, good on you for ordering up a bunch to try out.

Shadowfox 10-13-2017 08:59 AM

For Sitka and Rosewood I'm always for Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze if your guitar has a warm tone.

If it is a brighter tone, then go for Nickel Bronze!

vindibona1 10-13-2017 09:47 AM

I didn't vote because none of those strings would be at the absolute top of my list, except perhaps the John Pearse. But there are other strings I'd try first. Here's my recommendation list...

DR Sunbeam 12's.
DR Rares
Straight up Strings Medium Tension
D'Addario Nickel Bronze

Brucebubs 10-13-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio (Post 5504445)
[BIG SIGH]

Sorry Ed, my fault, I was more focused on your guitar being Sitka over EIR, in which case I probably wouldn't have picked any of the strings in your selection.
I love Monels on Mahogany but not so much on Rosewood and I really like NB's on almost everything else.