The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Any Stonehill fans? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98283)

Bluelew 03-30-2007 12:35 PM

Any Stonehill fans?

I just got a Randy Stonehill disc, a stripped down version of classic Stonehill songs, just Randy and his acoustic except Keagy jams with him on one track .
The disc is tiltled Touchstone and is only available from his website. If you love Randy you will want this one for sure.

laughingskunk 03-30-2007 12:56 PM

Boy you are bringing back memories. Was quite a fan of his back in my college days(the late 80's). I remeber one tape I really liked- it had "Still small voice" and "Stop the world I want to get off" on it. He kind of reminds me of Jimmy Buffett in his songwriting- some really touching ballads and then some goofy or quirky stuff. I actually wish some of the modern CCM artists would take a lesson from him and work at finding their own musical voice. Wish that the album was available in stores, but otherwise I may just be forced to break down and order it. Thanks for the headsup! Patrick

Nelson 03-30-2007 12:57 PM

I've been following Randy and Phil since I was in highschool nearly 30 years ago. You should check out their DVD "Together Again". It's pretty good material.

prusaw 03-30-2007 12:59 PM

I saw Randy in college at George Fox U. in 1992- great concert!

gjensen7 03-30-2007 01:27 PM

Randy is AWESOME!!!!! Without a doubt, one of the best singer/songwriter's out there...Christian or Secular! He is also an incredible guitarist.

Anyone not familiar with him owes it to themselves to pick up one of his albums or download some of his tunes.

I actually first saw him about 33 years ago. He played for about 40 people at this small "coffee house" outreach event at a church I attended. Very cool guy!

Bob Womack 03-30-2007 01:32 PM

"King of Hearts" "Lung Cancer". Oh, Yeah.

Bob

ljguitar 03-30-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluelew (Post 1148473)
I just got a Randy Stonehill disc, a stripped down version of classic Stonehill songs, just Randy and his acoustic except Keagy jams with him on one track .
The disc is tiltled Touchstone and is only available from his website. If you love Randy you will want this one for sure.

Hi BlueLew...
Thanks for the tip!

Been a fan since the early ''Streetlevel'' days (Larry Norman, Randy, Daniel Amos Band, etc). Have brought him to town for concerts, and attended many others where he was on the bill.

I've always enjoyed his warped sense of humor (Lung Cancer Lament, Great Big Stupid World etc) and his sensitive side (Sing in Portugese, Rachael Delevoryas, Sarah etc).

He was the first person I ever saw who used parallel thirds, sixths acoustic runs during his live playing, and I literally sat with headphones and stripped his techniques apart and reconstructed them...he and Phil Keaggy had the most pronounced affect on my formational music years.

I have not mastered the over-the-head kick. In fact, I'm pretty sure if I tried it, you'd have to help me up off the floor.

TaylorFanatic7 03-30-2007 02:11 PM

Saw Randy in Spokane, WA in 1988, he was touring with Amy Grant. Awesome performer!

astrummer 03-30-2007 02:18 PM

Randy Stonehill "The Outlaw" my favorite of his.
His Christmas song---A real jewel IMHO

gjensen7 03-30-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrummer (Post 1148563)
His Christmas song---A real jewel IMHO

Are we talking "Christmas at Denny's"?...great song!

Bluelew 03-30-2007 03:01 PM

I tell ya I'm listening now and he really shines as a player on this disc and he has a cool Lowden guitar, sounds great.

placervilledan 03-30-2007 03:02 PM

American Fast Food. I have remembered that song since I was 8. I love the man.

Bob Womack 03-30-2007 04:14 PM

Alright you punks. Anyone remember Larry Norman? Street Level, Only Visiting This Planet, Upon This Rock, etc.

Bob

gjensen7 03-30-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 1148665)
Alright you punks. Anyone remember Larry Norman? Street Level, Only Visiting This Planet, Upon This Rock, etc
Bob

Oh yeah! I remember the album Only Visiting This Planet by Larry Norman...blue cover with Larry sort of flying on it. I used to listen to it before going to bed..."walking upwards down the stairs"...I think that was a song on that.
Now, I'm feeling like a real "old timer"...:rolleyes:

Bob Womack 03-30-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjensen7 (Post 1148672)
Oh yeah! I remember the album Only Visiting This Planet by Larry Norman...blue cover with Larry sort of flying on it. I used to listen to it before going to bed..."walking upwards down the stairs"...I think that was a song on that.
Now, I'm feeling like a real "old timer"...:rolleyes:

That was Upon This Rock. Only Visiting was black and showed Larry standing in a busy street holding his head. :D Did you ever look in the lead-out groove on that album? Larry scribbled some notes and pictures on the master of that album and Street Level.

Bob