The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   455ce (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161539)

James Willer 08-17-2009 07:42 PM

455ce

I have been wanting one of these for a long time and it worked out that I won one on an auction on ebay tonight. It just happens to belong to mattjohnpaul and I can't wait to get it! :D:D:D I love 12 strings.

jml 08-17-2009 09:58 PM

Congrats, James.

As a 555 owner, I can tell you that you're gonna LOVE the Taylor Jumbo 12.

John

RP 08-18-2009 04:22 AM

As the former owner of a 455, I can attest to the opinion that their tone is heavenly....

edward993 08-18-2009 09:41 AM

Congrats! A 655 owner here: gorgeous tone, not to mention these things play way better than any 12 string should ...amazing!

Edward

Andromeda 08-18-2009 09:58 AM

I owned a BTO spruce-flamed ovangkol jumbo 12 string that sounded amazing!

I think you will love it.

Also, the first Taylor 12 string I ever strummed at a dealers was a 455ce and boy that really made me want a Taylor 12 string!

James Willer 08-18-2009 10:52 AM

A few months back we went to a Taylor roadshow and the only guitar I played that night was a 455ce hanging on the store wall. :)

MikieG 03-06-2010 06:02 AM

454ce; sorry, impatient and just, a little bit, excited

Sorry to be posting about a 454ce in this 455ce post ... The 454ce which I was not able to find 'in stock' anywhere, or not a 'non-returnable', 'special order', and was not able to play before buying, is supposed to be here wednesday. In anticipation, I have been browsing the web for all things 12 string; I couldn't resist participating in this post. I feel some comfort from the good words I've read here about the 455ce. I got to play a few 414ce in some local stores and liked what I heard, so I'm hoping that I'm gona like what I hear from my new, 454ce, too. ... I started playing at 49 years old, only, been playing about 4 1/2 years, now, I play for my own enjoyment and just, can not put down my 310ce or my Viper Blue, Solidbody Classic, Single Coil / Humbucker (.. used my TaylorWare gift card, from it's purchase, toward the Humbucker Loaded Pick Guard). I never played a 12 string till a month ago, and I got hooked! I could not stop thinking about one! I feel like a little kid waiting on Santa!

M19 03-06-2010 08:07 AM

Mikie,

I now own the 655 (quilted maple back and sides) that Edward993 mentions in a previous post, as he bought himself an RTaylor 12-er! Playing a Taylor 12 string is like doing harp practice for heaven! You can also get a sitar-y sound to it, on pieces like Norwegian Wood.

I think you'll fall in love with the sound. But they are LOUD, so you may have to take that into account as to when and how you practice. It is just about too big to be a couch guitar, too, though I sometimes play around on it whilst watching TV anyway. Get ready for your LH callouses to get bigger and thicker real fast, too.

One word of advice: get yourself a digital contact tuner if you don't already have one. There are many threads here about those liked (and not) by the members. I like my current TuneTech TT1000, but YRMV.

Have fun!

M.D.Smith 03-06-2010 12:17 PM

855 owner here since 2000. My primary guitar since 1990 was a 12 string.
Amazing guitars, amazing sond too. :)

BobKat 03-19-2010 09:38 PM

455ce owner since 2003. The guitar is fabulous. Fabulous. People are blown away by its tone, even non-musicians comment on its great sound and projection.

MikieG 03-20-2010 08:03 AM

Marty,

You are exactly, correct about my callouses. Just, before I came to this forum this morning, I spent time doing my callouse maintenance; emery boarding off the roughness, and as doing so, I was thinking, "I hadn't emery boarded since I got my 12er, and it sure, seems like my callouses are beginning to get larger." I was suprprised when I read that very, thing in your post. I am not regreting the acquisition of the 454ce, I am in love with it.

Here's what i posted in this Thread: "400-series (xx4-series) LOVE"

"The 454ce arrived right, on time"

It wasn't all, that painful, having to wait for my new, Taylor 454ce to make it's way from El Cajon, CA to 'My Favorite Guitars', and then to my house. It sure, was worth the wait, and the concern of, buying a 'special order', non-returnable, un-seen and un-played guitar. This guitar, I'll call her 'Vanessa', (her oVANgkol tonewood), is Swweeet!, right outa' the case! Her playability / action is fantastic!, she seems to be easier to play than "Taylor", (my 310ce), and her tone, (very,configurable with the 'body sensor' 'pre-amp switches' and the 'pre-amp controls'), is jus', as fantastic!; and her Ovangkol is so, visually, interesting and intriguing; and I have always loved "Taylor Guitars" 'Grand Auditorium' body shape. Her fingerboard is wider than "Taylor's", 1/8", I believe, and I initially, thought, "uh oh", but to my amazement, I find it easier to chord, and move about chords, easier than on my 310. I sure, like the 9 volt battery in this 2nd(?), 2009, generation 'Expression System', as compared to the (2) 'AA' batts used in "Taylor's" 2004 'Expression System'; the 9 volt's 'latch' set-up is quicker and slicker. The 'l.e.d.' on the 'pre-amp', letting ya' know the batts condition, is nice, too. ... I had been thinking, since I first, found out that "Taylor Guitars" offered a 'Service Package', which one could 'up-grade' to the newer, 'Expression System', long before thinking about a 12 string, I had considered sending the 310ce off, back to "Taylor Guitars", to have this done. Now, that I have the 454ce, I did, jus', that; it should be in CA by Wednesday. ...... Thanks fer lis'nin' ... 'Vanessa's' Pics: http://www.acousticguitarcommunity.c...1?context=user ... http://www.acousticguitarcommunity.c...e?context=user ... http://www.acousticguitarcommunity.c...k?context=user ... glad there's a "Taylor" forum to allow me to ramble on like this. ... Mike Grieff

- Mike

dave19er 03-21-2010 01:18 PM

just bought a 455CE from a friend of mine who had got it in a trade. Always wanted a Taylor 12 (this is actually my first Taylor - the last member of my family to own one. Better late than never, I guess). When my friend told me he was selling, and asked if I was interested, I said, "Are you kidding? I'll send you the check today!" So glad I did - it's just an amazing sounding and playing guitar. Can't stop grinning every time I play it.