The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Played the new Larrivee Legacy Series (D-40) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323173)

Dru Edwards 12-29-2013 03:29 PM

Played the new Larrivee Legacy Series (D-40)

Hey everyone. I've been wanting to try out the new Larrivee Legacy series since I first read about it 6 months ago. What makes the Legacy series different? It has Larrivee's first new bracing pattern in 46 years, scalloped bracing.

I played it for about 5 minutes (very quick trip). I thought the D-40 Mahogany was one of the best sounding Larrivees I've played. I wish I had more time to play it. It was crisp and clear while still maintaining the Larrivee signature tone. A lot of depth to it. The sharp fret ends kind of ticked me off though. I've read in the past that some Larrivees come out of the shop with sharp fret ends and it's not an indication of poor humidity.

I liked it enough that it could be a potential purchase in the future. I want to try the D-40R (Rosewood). It's also available as an OM and OM-R.

Has anyone else played one?

http://www.larrivee.com/instruments/...40MH/d40mh.php

Tony Burns 12-29-2013 03:37 PM

-

Guild D-40
Martin D-40
Larrivee D-40

am i missing a few here ?

Whats next a Martin OM-60 ?

They need more originality - is their no honor among thieves ?

- Yes i think this is silly !

But that Larrivee looks like a winner !

JohnCambo 12-29-2013 03:44 PM

I'd love one but the 1 and 11/16 nut is a deal breaker for me. Most acoustic players I know prefer 1 and 3/4 but most dreads don't come with it. Bewilders me.

Dru Edwards 12-29-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Burns (Post 3752809)
-

Guild D-40
Martin D-40
Larrivee D-40

am i missing a few here ?

Whats next a Martin OM-60 ?

They need more originality - is their no honor among thieves ?

- Yes i think this is silly !

But that Larrivee looks like a winner !

Hey Tone, yep, lots of D-40s. Just to add to it, I tried a Larrivee D-40 LTD Bluegrass guitar with an enlarged soundhole 5-6 years ago. This is not the same as the new D-40 Legacy series. It was one of the best Larrivees I had ever played and I should have bought it. Went back to the store a couple of days later and it was gone.

So, even within the Larrivee model line in the past few years, there are two distinct D-40 models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCambo (Post 3752815)
I'd love one but the 1 and 11/16 nut is a deal breaker for me. Most acoustic players I know prefer 1 and 3/4 but most dreads don't come with it. Bewilders me.

John, I too prefer 1 3/4". I'm not sure why Larrivee used 1 11/16" for the dreads but the OM models have 1 3/4".

Also .... Welcome to the AGF.

Rodger 12-29-2013 05:00 PM

Just a guess, but dreads are more for strumming, thus the closer string spacing. Smaller models are better suited for wider spacing and fingerpicking or fingerstyle.

Nice looking dread! Thanks for posting Dru.

noledog 12-29-2013 05:45 PM

Looks nice Dru; but I haven't had the pleasure of playing one. As you know I'm dread lusting right now so I'm curious as to how this turns out for you. Get more time around that neck for sure! :D

dac66 12-29-2013 05:58 PM

I got a D-40r for Christmas. First new guitar and a real step up from my 1979 Yamaha FG335. It plays well and sounds really nice. Full, resonant, long sustain & rich. I also played the mahogany version when deciding. Liked both but liked the rosewood better. I also played an Eastman D08 and a Martin HD-16 that day. Liked the sound and playability of the Larrivee. After we bought it from a local shop at 20% off on Black Friday I was reeeealy good and left it unplayed in the case till my wife brought the be-bowed beauty out.

Dru Edwards 12-29-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noledog (Post 3752962)
Looks nice Dru; but I haven't had the pleasure of playing one. As you know I'm dread lusting right now so I'm curious as to how this turns out for you. Get more time around that neck for sure! :D

Hey Noledog. I was driving 500km / 300mi and this store was 1/2 way and the only one I knew that had the new Legacy series in stock. The store was only 2 minutes off the highway and I only had 10 minutes but I'm glad I stopped in. Hopefully the local shops will get one in soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dac66 (Post 3752983)
I got a D-40r for Christmas. First new guitar and a real step up from my 1979 Yamaha FG335. It plays well and sounds really nice. Full, resonant, long sustain & rich. I also played the mahogany version when deciding. Liked both but liked the rosewood better. I also played an Eastman D08 and a Martin HD-16 that day. Liked the sound and playability of the Larrivee. After we bought it from a local shop at 20% off on Black Friday I was reeeealy good and left it unplayed in the case till my wife brought the be-bowed beauty out.

Fantastic!!! You should post a New Guitar Day thread. I can't wait to try the D-40r.

Just curious, when you run your fingers along the neck, do you feel sharp fret ends?

Dru Edwards 12-31-2013 07:35 AM

Has anyone else played the new Legacy Series? Or at least interested in it?

Rockguy475 12-31-2013 07:51 AM

Very cool. Where did you get a chance to play it?

Dru Edwards 12-31-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockguy475 (Post 3755039)
Very cool. Where did you get a chance to play it?

It was the Long & McQuade in Bedford, Nova Scotia. Just off the highway so it was very convenient to stop in during a 5.5 hour drive. The salesman was also very helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable.

Dru Edwards 03-03-2014 09:03 AM

It's been a couple of months. Going to bump this. Anyone else play the new Larrivee Legacy 40 series? Anyone interested? I've still only played it that single time. Might get another chance to play one in a day or two.

Tuffythepug 03-03-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 3847352)
It's been a couple of months. Going to bump this. Anyone else play the new Larrivee Legacy 40 series? Anyone interested? I've still only played it that single time. Might get another chance to play one in a day or two.

I am waiting for my D-40R to be finished. I have a lefty on order but they are very slow coming out of the shop right now. I suspect the closing of the Vancouver factory and the resulting extra load placed on the Oxnard factory is partially to blame. When I get mine I'll post a full review with pics.

Dru Edwards 03-05-2014 11:02 AM

I was traveling yesterday and stopped in to that same Long & McQuade that I played the D-40 a couple of months ago. It was in their service shop so I didn't get a chance to play it. Not sure why, perhaps it was only a string change but I was a little disappointed. It wasn't a total loss since I did buy a used Simon & Patrick Songsmith.

mdutr0 03-05-2014 03:21 PM

Are they going to do a Parlor in this series? That would just be mean....