The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Best guitar Polish (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45309)

HendrixWS 04-16-2004 09:19 PM

Best guitar Polish

Thread title explains it all... I just got my new Taylor today and was wondering what polish to use. I have a couple of bottle of Martin Guitar Polish but I'm not sure if I like it... any advice?

byKnight 04-16-2004 09:34 PM

I use the Ken Smith Pro Formula that Taylor recommends. Apply a nice hazy coat with a clean cloth. Then buff it off with another clean cloth.

Yoder 04-16-2004 10:49 PM

I used to like Gibson Pump Polish until I discovered the Dunlop 65 Polish Kit. It comes with formula 65 guitar polish and cleaner, a bottle of cream of carnauba, a cloth, and super fine wet sand paper that will remove scratches. The carnauba wax puts the best shine on any nitro or high gloss surface that I have ever seen. I have use most types over the years, but am sold on the Dunlop. Oh, one last thing, use microfiber cloths--anything else seems to leave very fine scratches on the surface. :D

Rockerbob 04-17-2004 10:26 AM

For daily use, just a cloth or cloth and water.

I have an old polish spray bottle that I keep filled with filtered water. This is all you need on a regular basis. The finish does not need anything more than being kept clean. Most of the time I just wipe the guitar with a soft cloth. If there is some stubborn gunk I'll spray a little of the water and buff with the cloth. Very infrequently the finish might actually need to be polished. Annually perhaps. For this I really like Virtuoso cleaner and polish. I don't need it often, but once in a while I like to clean up some dull areas where my sweat gets to the finish. Virtuoso works great.

Taylorplayer 04-17-2004 10:38 AM

Virtuoso is the best cleaner and polish I've ever used. I trust it for my Vintage instruments (nitro) and for the new ones. Well worth the money.

Rider 04-18-2004 07:27 AM

Here's another vote for Virtuoso cleaner and polish.

GTomcan 04-18-2004 09:31 AM

Another vote for Ken Smith Pro.
It seems after 24 hours you can finish buff all the swrills out after it completely drys, Leaves a very nice shine,last a long time.

mac1588 04-18-2004 10:22 AM

Another great option is Petros:

http://www.petrosguitars.com/polish.html

The finish restorer and the polish are both first class. I suppose that the fingerboard oil is too, but I doubt that fingerboard oil is necessary or even good for a guitar.

Mac Carter

MadeintheUSA 04-18-2004 02:48 PM

a nice piece of velvet and some

spit is what i use. its not the best, but i had some spare velvet and an unlimited supply of saliva..........cheap too and boy that gleam...

Mark E 04-18-2004 03:00 PM

For those who use Virtuoso, do you know whether it's okay to use on a satin finish ?
I know it's okay to use Ken Smith's polish, but not sure about Virtuoso.

Rejoice Music 04-18-2004 04:33 PM

I like and use ghs Guitar Gloss. :)

Plaid Coyote 04-18-2004 04:35 PM

I use Dr. Ducks or Petros.

hguy4x 04-18-2004 08:37 PM

turtle wax... ahaha.. or maybe meguirs

JohnZ 04-19-2004 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hguy4x
turtle wax... ahaha.. or maybe meguirs

Yep, Meguiar's is what I use, usually their cleaner/wax. And sometimes a pure carnauba paste wax. Unless you're dealing with fine violin type varnishes I just don't see the need for specialized polishes. Also, polish is an abrasive and wax is not. Not so much that you'd probably ever notice but that's what polish does.

Most of the time I just need a damp cloth.

SCTaylorPlayer 04-20-2004 01:03 PM

Ken Smith for the satin finish and the new Fender Meguiar's stuff for the gloss finishes. I have been very impressed with the new Fender stuff.