The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   La Patrie v. Cordoba Luthier series neck profiles (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454997)

Guest 2143 01-03-2017 06:15 PM

La Patrie v. Cordoba Luthier series neck profiles

I have played various La Patrie models, so I am familiar with their neck profiles. However, I have not played any Cordoba Luthier series guitars, but I am curious how their neck profiles compare to the La Patrie guitars. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ewalling 01-03-2017 06:36 PM

I've owned a couple of La Patries and currently have a Motif. I've owned a Cordoba C-10 Crossover and a C-9 Parlor. The Motif's neck is a little wider and bulkier than those of the two Cordobas, which both had a 1 7/8" nut widths. However, comfort-wise, there's not a significant difference for me - I can still do the thumb-wrap with the Motif. Having a truss rod, perhaps they were able to reduce the overall dimensions somewhat. I also prefer the matte finish on the Motif's neck to the gloss on the two Cordobas'.

Guest 2143 01-03-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewalling (Post 5180169)
I've owned a couple of La Patries and currently have a Motif. I've owned a Cordoba C-10 Crossover and a C-9 Parlor. The Motif's neck is a little wider and bulkier than those of the two Cordobas, which both had a 1 7/8" nut widths. However, comfort-wise, there's not a significant difference for me - I can still do the thumb-wrap with the Motif. Having a truss rod, perhaps they were able to reduce the overall dimensions somewhat. I also prefer the matte finish on the Motif's neck to the gloss on the two Cordobas'.

Thanks for the message. It is helpful. I bought a La Patrie Collection in the late 1990s and had it until recently (gave it to a friend). I have also played some Etudes. I am curious about trying a C9 or C10 crossover, but have not been able to find one to try in person.

Dafiryde 01-03-2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m-thirty-great (Post 5180207)
Thanks for the message. It is helpful. I bought a La Patrie Collection in the late 1990s and had it until recently (gave it to a friend). I have also played some Etudes. I am curious about trying a C9 or C10 crossover, but have not been able to find one to try in person.

Can you give me some personal feed back on the LaPatrie collection and, which strings you used

ewalling 01-04-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m-thirty-great (Post 5180207)

In the US, I don't think you will be able to find them in stores. GC and Sam Ash only seem to sell the hotter sales-ticket GK and straight C models. I had to order both the Crossover and the Parlor from Musician's Friend. They are very nice guitars, though, and very comfortable to play. My preference for the Motif right now is because I find the dimensions, sound and feel so conducive to vigorous-picking folk and ragtime pieces. I've also got one Kremona Sofia S63CW because it has a cutaway, together with the slightly narrower nut width and truss rod, which are features I like. The acoustic sound of the Kremona is very rich and sweet indeed, considering it's part laminate. Only the top is solid (cedar).

dkstott 01-04-2017 10:24 AM

FWIW-- Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are the same company. :)

I got my C10 Crossover via the local GC. I traded in a guitar and had them order it for me.

ewalling 01-04-2017 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkstott (Post 5180838)
FWIW-- Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are the same company.

Not for the customer, they aren't. If you order a guitar from MF and you want to return it, you cannot take it to your local GC; you have to package it up and ship it back to MF. You also can't ask your local GC to get hold of an instrument advertised on the MF website so you can try it. The two companies may share profits, but they do not share services.

Guest 2143 01-04-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dafiryde (Post 5180326)
Can you give me some personal feed back on the LaPatrie collection and, which strings you used

I am sorry to report that I do not remember which strings I used on it. I had the guitar a long time and did not change the strings on it the last few years that I had it. The liked the playability, with the relatively low profile neck, and tone of the guitar, and it stayed in tune well. However, when in humid conditions, it would go out of tune quicker than my other guitars. The guitar had a deep sound, was not very bright, with pretty good volume. I don't have much experience with classical guitars, so my comments might not be of much value. Hope this helps, at least a little.

dkstott 01-04-2017 05:42 PM

It's funny. I ordered my C10 via guitar center. There was a delay in the delivery. When it arrived at my house, the box had Musicians Friend all over it. They must be sharing some business transactions. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ewalling (Post 5181054)
Not for the customer, they aren't. If you order a guitar from MF and you want to return it, you cannot take it to your local GC; you have to package it up and ship it back to MF. You also can't ask your local GC to get hold of an instrument advertised on the MF website so you can try it. The two companies may share profits, but they do not share services.

Dafiryde 01-06-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m-thirty-great (Post 5181336)
I am sorry to report that I do not remember which strings I used on it. I had the guitar a long time and did not change the strings on it the last few years that I had it. The liked the playability, with the relatively low profile neck, and tone of the guitar, and it stayed in tune well. However, when in humid conditions, it would go out of tune quicker than my other guitars. The guitar had a deep sound, was not very bright, with pretty good volume. I don't have much experience with classical guitars, so my comments might not be of much value. Hope this helps, at least a little.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated it