The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Did Taylor drop the Solidbody line? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316848)

worshipvertical 11-08-2013 12:44 PM

Did Taylor drop the Solidbody line?

I noticed that there is no longer any mention on their website but it could be that they are tweaking the design like the new T5z.

JLed79 11-08-2013 01:48 PM

Did Taylor drop the Solidbody line?

They have discontinued the solid bodies.

Steve DeRosa 11-08-2013 04:18 PM

Must've happened as of 11/1 - I was on their website last week and I was able to spec out a Classic Solid with no problem; looks like my Custom just became a collectors' piece... :evilgrin:

s2y 11-08-2013 07:28 PM

Shame. I really wanted a SB1 with HD humbuckers.

worshipvertical 11-08-2013 07:38 PM

I agree it's a real shame. Bad timing if you ask me. The entire industry of electric guitars is down and a unique and new take on it didn't get the chance it deserved.

s2y 11-08-2013 08:47 PM

I probably would have bought one instead of my T3 if I knew the SB1 would be discontinued. I might see if there any leftovers available. Not exactly a good time for me at the moment.

SpruceTop 11-08-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worshipvertical (Post 3687014)
I noticed that there is no longer any mention on their website but it could be that they are tweaking the design like the new T5z.

Per my local Taylor dealer: Taylor dealers have been offered a two-for-one swap of new, unsold Taylor electrics for one new Taylor acoustic of equal value. I wonder if Taylor will sell their returned, unsold electrics for an attractive price to get rid of them or just destroy them? I had an early Taylor Solidbody and thought it played like butter and was well made but I returned it because of the amplified tone. I'd gladly buy a new swapped-out one for a good price if available.

Regards,

SpruceTop

BTF 11-08-2013 09:52 PM

This can only be good news for current owners of Taylor SB's. Hardly anything makes an item more desirable than discontinuing it.

s2y 11-09-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTF (Post 3687673)
This can only be good news for current owners of Taylor SB's. Hardly anything makes an item more desirable than discontinuing it.

Ain't that the truth. Hopefully it's not harder to get one of these. Funds ain't the best at the moment.

showngo2000 11-10-2013 04:33 PM

Wonder if they'll quit making the parts for them too. Should I stock up on spare parts, just in case? Or maybe I should buy a "spare" Solidbody. :D:evilgrin:

fazool 11-10-2013 05:22 PM

sigh.....

Martin tried making Fender-like electrics and abandoned them

Apparently Taylor is suffering the same fate trying to make Gibson-like electrics.

I hope they continue with their very innovative T series.

I am only just getting back to electric playing but seriously had GAS for a Taylor SBx

Steve DeRosa 11-10-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 3687656)
Per my local Taylor dealer: Taylor dealers have been offered a two-for-one swap of new, unsold Taylor electrics for one new Taylor acoustic of equal value. I wonder if Taylor will sell their returned, unsold electrics for an attractive price to get rid of them or just destroy them...

Probably sell them off through Costco, as they did a few years ago with some T5 "factory seconds" (and Gibson, with the ill-fated ES-333) - bargain price but no warranty. Caveat emptor...

Quote:

Originally Posted by showngo2000 (Post 3689798)
Wonder if they'll quit making the parts for them too. Should I stock up on spare parts, just in case?...

I'd get a spare hardtail bridge or two - speaking from personal experience, they're the weak link in these guitars and notorious for breaking when you try to tighten them down; I suspect they're one of the main reasons the solids are being discontinued - TMK they're not cheap, I replaced my first one under warranty, and I'm presently in need of another...

Otterhound 11-11-2013 06:27 AM

I spoke with a member of the crew at the Philly show on Sat.
Taylor is discontinuing the solid bodies . They are not destroying their tooling for them .
Electric sales have been trending down while acoustic sales have been trending up .
If/when the market changes , they will continue to adapt .

Steve DeRosa 11-11-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otterhound (Post 3690420)
I spoke with a member of the crew at the Philly show on Sat. Taylor is discontinuing the solid bodies. They are not destroying their tooling for them...

...which raises the question - will they still be available under the BTO Program?

Malty 11-12-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazool (Post 3689835)
sigh.....

I hope they continue with their very innovative T series.

A TZ5 was at a Road Show I attended last night. They will be available next month. There was some jaw-dropping and utterances in the crowd at how great it sounded and it's versatility. Also a bit smaller and shaped better in my opinion. It felt quite light to me, too.

BTW, most of the 40 guitars on stage were customs (one acoustic originally built for Taylor Swift) complementing the additional 160 Taylors the dealer had in stock! Couldn't buy the TZ5, of course.