The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Nanoweb vs. MSP Lifespan - bright/mellow? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295084)

udi 05-11-2013 10:37 AM

Nanoweb vs. MSP Lifespan - bright/mellow?

Could anyone put these in order of bright to mellow for me?

MSP7100 (PB, Light)
MSP6100 (80/20, Light)
Nanoweb (PB, Light)
Nanoweb (80/20, Light)

Martin say their PBs are brighter, everyone else says the opposite. For people who have tried both, which would you recommend, and which ones maintain their tone longer?

I like how EJ16s sound *just* when they break-in, would like a set of strings that sounded similar but held that tone for longer without getting dull. I'd like to err on the bright side, but don't want them to be jangly like EJ16s when brand new (for example).

Thanks!

brencat 05-11-2013 10:40 AM

Nanoweb (80/20, Light)
MSP6100 (80/20, Light)
Nanoweb (PB, Light)
MSP7100 (PB, Light)

Frankly, I'm not really a fan of Lifespan strings on my Martins. The regular MSP4100 PBs are better IMO. I'm trying out a set of Lifespans on my Gibson AJ right now. Initial impression is that they are more mellow than the set of MFX740 I had on before...I liked these on my Gibson the best so far.

udi 05-11-2013 10:54 AM

What's better about the regular 4100s in your eyes?

And would it be safe to say that Martin are wrong in saying their PBs are brighter than their 80/20s - judging by your ordering?

I want something that will sparkle a little longer than EJ11/EJ16s so I'm not sure the 4100s would be for me, open to correction though.

billybillly 05-11-2013 01:19 PM

Elixir nano pb's are the brightest out of the aforementioned, to my ears anyway. I like them, say, after about a week of breaking in and they tend to stay that way for a couple of months, maybe even 3.

brencat 05-11-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udi (Post 3467130)
What's better about the regular 4100s in your eyes?

And would it be safe to say that Martin are wrong in saying their PBs are brighter than their 80/20s - judging by your ordering?

You haven't told us what guitar you plan to use them on so that might help us aid your selection.

To answer the first question, I just prefer the uncoated MSP4100 PBs better than the Lifespan 7100s. Fuller tone and a tad brighter IMO and they last 80% as long at 40% of the cost.

To your second question, Martin 80/20s are way brighter than their PBs. I just finished trying a set of 80/20s on my AJ... ripped em off in 24 hrs. A tad too bright, but more than that they lacked the tonal complexity of the PBs.

For the record, I don't like Elixirs much at all, and especially not on Martins.

udi 05-11-2013 07:50 PM

It's a Blueridge 160A, RW back/sides and Adirondack top. The tone is similar to a D28 Marquis, and more like a normal D28 than a HD28.

I'm not sure if it's my chemistry, but on my previous guitars, uncoated PBs and 80/20s wouldn't last very long before the four bronze-wound strings died out. I do like the tone of the uncoated PBs, but my thought pattern was a) start with a brighter string and it might sound less dead after a few weeks, or b) start with a string of PB brightness and a light coating to prolong their sweet spot.

What didn't you like about the elixirs, care to elaborate on that as well? Do they give something up in sound?
Thanks again.

GuitarLight 05-11-2013 10:22 PM

Martin strings are darker than Elixir. And 80/20 is brighter than PB. Guitar string makers will tell you anything to get your money. Martins are too stiff for my taste, and too dark, and WAY too expensive, and they don't last like Elixirs. Elixirs coating is light years ahead of the rest. That's because it was the first patented string and can not be copied by law...by anyone, including Martin who simply send theirs out for a coating inferior to Elixir. My guess is that they don't want you to know that.

brencat 05-11-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udi (Post 3467674)
What didn't you like about the elixirs, care to elaborate on that as well? Do they give something up in sound?
Thanks again.

They are a great feeling string I'll admit that...nice and smooth. And I'm sure they last months (not for me though... I took them off after 2 days). But I hear too much jangling... almost like a room full of instruments all playing slightly out of tune.

A Martin is supposed to have a certain vintage sound to it. And the Elixirs made it sound, well, not like a Martin should. Sorry I can't describe it any better.

jdinco 05-11-2013 11:42 PM

I have to agree with Brencat, the worst my HD28 has sounded was when i put a set of medium Elixir PB nanos on it. Bass was tubby and it just didn't have the life in it I was used to. The SP4100's were very bass heavy and the highs a bit too harsh for me. Probably would be a good string for Bluegrass though. Just not my cup of tea.

The best I've tried so far has been the Spectrums, a nice balanced sound with a little bite when pushed, a sweet midrange. Lovin' them so far.
I'll try some DR's on it next.

opnwhl4 05-12-2013 12:08 AM

I use PBs on my rosewoods. I tried a new D-18 with the new strings and they sounded okay, but they felt slick to my fingers. I keep trying the SP4200s about every 3 months, but I end up going back to EJ17s or 19s on my D-28.
I usually have 80/20s on my Ibanez hog, but I tried a set of SP4250s on it a few weeks ago and like the PBs on it now too.
The SPs also feel like they have more tension to me than the EJs. I don't think they actually do, but feel that way.

Bill

Frusciante 05-12-2013 12:16 AM

I like elixirs on my hd28v and my Taylor's but the after playing the strings for a few days the coating discolors in the high traffic areas Anyone else have this problem?

udi 05-12-2013 09:09 AM

I found this string review spreadsheet while searching on here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1eG5tc2c#gid=0

Guess everyone has a different opinion, seems like I'll just have to try a few for myself.

I think I'm going to try the nanoweb PBs first - I play without a pick so it'd be nice to get a little more brightness without having to use my nails so much. It's sounding like the elixir quirks may actually suit me - the only thing I dislike is that smooth plastic feel but I've never given them a proper chance either.

BGS 05-12-2013 11:12 AM

To me the Elixirs are brighter than the Martins in general, but the difference between 80/20 and PB would largely depend on the guitar, IMO. You're probably best served by just trying a set of all four.