The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Reinventing the airport runway (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467394)

amyFB 04-21-2017 05:14 AM

Reinventing the airport runway

This is an interesting idea:

Circular runways: Engineer defends his proposal
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39643292

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gasworker 04-21-2017 05:32 AM

that's out of the box thinking.

HHP 04-21-2017 05:36 AM

Seems like complicating something that works for not much benefit and introducing complexity when simple works.

Gasworker 04-21-2017 05:42 AM

Seems like it would be harder to run out of runway. Taxiing time would be negligible.

amyFB 04-21-2017 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 5313045)
Seems like complicating something that works for not much benefit and introducing complexity when simple works.

Concepts have to start somewhere.

There is a valid case to be made for any idea that would improve air travel - a redesign that could allow multiple planes to land simultaneously would go a long way towards that goal.

Even the article says this is concept and far from having all the kinks worked out.

Our grandkids might see this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mbroady 04-21-2017 05:53 AM

Gonna go round in circles
Gonna fly high like a bird up in the sky........

fazool 04-21-2017 07:00 AM

I love the idea of never running out of runway space. I think the simultaneous takeoff and landing won't work well because of synchronizing speeds etc.

But, I love the idea of taking off and landing and never worrying about enough runway space. And this could help places that don't have long stretches of flat land.

MikeBmusic 04-21-2017 07:42 AM

(Didn't watch the videos) I don't see any comments about wind direction - surely in a circular approach and landing (or takeoff), the change is going to be a consideration?

Silurian 04-21-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazool (Post 5313115)
And this could help places that don't have long stretches of flat land.

this seems to be the major benefit to me. Smaller, compact airports that can be built closer to popultion centres or in places that would be impractical for traditionl runways.

PorkPieGuy 04-21-2017 07:52 AM

One thing: How do you get people to the middle? A tunnel? Shuttle? Stoplights?

Neat concept though!

amyFB 04-21-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy (Post 5313166)
One thing: How do you get people to the middle? A tunnel? Shuttle? Stoplights?

Neat concept though!

I liked the concept idea of building underground office space that would serve the purpose of melting ice off the runway with the heat loss from the office climate control systems.

so...tunnel and elevator/escalator down to the under, is the answer.

Dirk Hofman 04-21-2017 07:59 AM

Pretty darn interesting! I would imagine that available space and cost would be show-stoppers for any existing airport to re-work both the terminals and the runways, but maybe new ones...

Also imagine the local uproar if residential areas previously unaffected by air traffic noise now have to deal with airplanes coming in from different (all) directions and flying over their neighborhoods. I would not be happy. I live a 10 minute drive from SFO and never hear a peep. I paid for that privilege and would not take kindly to such an effect on my real estate value.

Hard to imagine the cost/benefit is worth it. Kudos for the thinking though, maybe I'm just a naysayer.

Captain Jim 04-21-2017 08:11 AM

As a former pilot, landing and taking off into the wind is the preferred choice - and the reason runways are laid out with consideration for the prevailing winds in any given area. With a circular runway, there will always be a "most optimal" arrival/departure area... with increasing sidewind considerations - or worse: tailwind considerations, increasing take-off/landing roll and speeds. Ask any pilot how he/she feels about a tailwind landing.

Landing and take-off are times when straight-line motion is helpful and safer. I see no safety improvement with this premise; in fact, just the opposite.

amyFB 04-21-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5313206)
As a former pilot, landing and taking off into the wind is the preferred choice - and the reason runways are laid out with consideration for the prevailing winds in any given area. With a circular runway, there will always be a "most optimal" arrival/departure area... with increasing sidewind considerations - or worse: tailwind considerations, increasing take-off/landing roll and speeds. Ask any pilot how he/she feels about a tailwind landing.

Landing and take-off are times when straight-line motion is helpful and safer. I see no safety improvement with this premise; in fact, just the opposite.

To your very valid point, this concern about the wind is raised in the article.

I think it is this kind of out of the box concept discussion that can lead to new developments in technology.
Maybe in the end it isn't a circle but a parallelogram ..... or could be that boeing and bombardier design engineers will be sparked with an idea from this concept.....

i'll be watching with interest, although I imagine non-linear runways won't happen in my lifetime.

Tahitijack 04-21-2017 09:08 AM

Would like to hear from Harrison Ford on this.