The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The First Savoy! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467227)

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 04-19-2017 03:32 PM

The First Savoy!

From Joe @ Blackbird :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ7w...ature=youtu.be

ac 04-19-2017 04:02 PM

Lovely looking, sounds great, nice size, and super light--even with the added truss rod.

Congratulations Blackbird!

Doubleneck 04-19-2017 04:28 PM

Hollow neck and truss rod, that's interesting!

Acousticado 04-19-2017 08:39 PM

Impressive. Looks great. Sounds really good. I wonder how the weight is kept so low with the truss rod, even though single action. Is it a conventional steel rod? I like it.

Mkel12 04-19-2017 08:54 PM

"Headed down to Ted at LA Guitar Sales". Sweet, Ted! Unit #1 to the #1 dealer.

Acousticado 04-19-2017 09:03 PM

What's the street price on one of these? Likely it's a lot more pricey than a CA Cargo and it is a 12 fret, but how does it compare in terms of size, comfort, playability and tone in the flesh.....errr linen?

sirwhale 04-20-2017 12:00 AM

Sounds really good.

ac 04-20-2017 04:47 AM

I took a look at Blackbird's site and the weight listed there is 3.75lb, which is still very light for the dimension of the guitar listed.

I'd love to see how they designed in a truss rod into a hollow neck also. Likely a pretty innovative, but simple design to keep the air passage open while at the same time having support points for the truss rod to do it's thing properly.

Anyone have an X-ray device??

Guest 928 04-20-2017 09:00 AM

Another innovative winner from Blackbird! Congratulations Joe.

And so, will there be a nylon string version?

Doubleneck 04-20-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac (Post 5311716)
I took a look at Blackbird's site and the weight listed there is 3.75lb, which is still very light for the dimension of the guitar listed.

I'd love to see how they designed in a truss rod into a hollow neck also. Likely a pretty innovative, but simple design to keep the air passage open while at the same time having support points for the truss rod to do it's thing properly.

Anyone have an X-ray device??

This is interesting, Allistar went to solid necks when he added truss rods. This also shows carbon makers are almost compelled to add truss rods. I never had an issue with Blackbird necks. CA and McPherson still deroded.

Acousticado 04-20-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 5312135)
This is interesting, Allistar went to solid necks when he added truss rods. This also shows carbon makers are almost compelled to add truss rods. CA and McPherson still deroded.

I believe that Emerald uses double action truss rods, whereas Blackbird is using single action which would take less space, thus allowing room for the rod and hollow neck. Just guessing.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 04-20-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 5312135)
This is interesting, Allistar went to solid necks when he added truss rods. This also shows carbon makers are almost compelled to add truss rods. I never had an issue with Blackbird necks. CA and McPherson still deroded
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acousticado (Post 5312142)
I believe that Emerald uses double action truss rods, whereas Blackbird is using single action which would take less space, thus allowing room for the rod and hollow neck. Just guessing.

And there it is!! It only took you two 9 posts to inject Emerald in to this thread.

Acousticado 04-20-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales (Post 5312177)
And there it is!! It only took you two 9 posts to inject Emerald in to this thread.

Oh, c'mon! We're just pondering how the builders are accomplishing what they do. I had mentioned CA earlier too. What the heck is with you? You're not doing yourself any favors with this thinking, Ted. Sheesh!!!:hmm:

Doubleneck 04-20-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales (Post 5312177)

I think I also mentioned CA and McPherson? I guess those name are ok? Lol. My post comparing the Joe's trust rod to Emerald actually gave Blackbird the edge being still hollow, and was complementary of his necks in general? You have a fixation.

sirwhale 04-20-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 5311956)
Another innovative winner from Blackbird! Congratulations Joe.

And so, will there be a nylon string version?

Evan, send an email to Joe and ask him.

I've sent Joe many emails over the time I've had my Blackbird, he's probably fed up of me! ;)

If he is interested in an ekoa nylon, let me know.