The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin OMCPA4 & GPCPA4 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301346)

hector 07-02-2013 06:26 AM

Martin OMCPA4 & GPCPA4

Can someone tell me the difference between the Martin OMCPA4 and the GPCPA4 acoustic/electric guitars ?? Having trouble spotting the difference.

rmyAddison 07-02-2013 06:41 AM

They are very similar and both some in a variety of back woods (Sapele, EIR, Siris), and both have the F1 Analog electronics, not the F1 Aura that comes in the more expensive models. The GP body is slightly larger than an OM body, that's about it.

Judson 07-02-2013 06:42 AM

Size ... the OMCPA4 is a bit smaller than the GPCPA4. Visually, they are difficult to tell apart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hector (Post 3531062)
Can someone tell me the difference between the Martin OMCPA4 and the GPCPA4 acoustic/electric guitars ?? Having trouble spotting the difference.

GibbyPrague 07-02-2013 06:43 AM

One is short and silver in colour while the other tall and gold .... ?

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps97fcc434.jpg

se7ent7 07-02-2013 06:55 AM

The GP ("Grand performer") shape looks like a Taylor x14 (GA).

The OM looks like a typical Martin OM with cutaway.
A simple way to explain it is that the GP's cutaway is more "pointed"

I have a OMCPA4 on the way. I was first smitten with the GPCPA4 but that's before I played the OM. The GP is just a bit too in-between. The OM to me is more focused and typical Martin.

brencat 07-02-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackville (Post 3531078)
Size ... the OMCPA4 is a bit smaller than the GPCPA4. Visually, they are difficult to tell apart.

+1

However, there is a very noticeable difference tonewise unplugged, as the larger bodied GPCPA4 has a deeper, richer sound. I used to own one. If you strum a lot, the GPCPA4 is the better choice.

hector 07-02-2013 07:00 AM

Thanks. The size is hard to tell from online photos. But yeah, I'd imagine I could notice a difference when playing. I have a Taylor 414CE now, and a Martin 000-1. I'm small, so the 000 "feels" better to me. I assume the 000 and OM are the same size/shape?

se7ent7 07-02-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brencat (Post 3531094)
+1

However, there is a very noticeable difference tonewise unplugged, as the larger bodied GPCPA4 has a deeper, richer sound. I used to own one. If you strum a lot, the GPCPA4 is the better choice.

I disagree with this - the GPCPA4 has a bit more low end resonance than the OMCPA4, but I won't call it richer sounding. Infact, I find the OM richer in a sense, with more of the characteristic Martin growl in the wound strings.

The GP is great until you place it next to the dread (DCPA4). It sounds like a smaller dread and a less focused, somehow flatter OM. To me it lacks a bit in character.

It's still very nice, and I'd take it over all Taylors and a bunch of other martin models

Here's a good comparison of the three:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f65U5eMaxks

Quote:

Originally Posted by hector (Post 3531102)
Thanks. The size is hard to tell from online photos. But yeah, I'd imagine I could notice a difference when playing. I have a Taylor 414CE now, and a Martin 000-1. I'm small, so the 000 "feels" better to me. I assume the 000 and OM are the same size/shape?

Yes the 000 and OM is exactly the same body size, but the 000 is short scale and the OM normal (long scale) - 24.9" vs 25.5".

hector 07-02-2013 10:04 AM

I strum chords, more than pick.
Really looking for a mini-dreadnought.
I will probably go with Rosewood material for back/sides.
Anyhow, my local GC has both the GPC and OMC in stock.
I'll just have to try 'em out.

rmyAddison 07-02-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hector (Post 3531331)
I strum chords, more than pick.
Really looking for a mini-dreadnought.
I will probably go with Rosewood material for back/sides.
Anyhow, my local GC has both the GPC and OMC in stock.
I'll just have to try 'em out.

Try one of the 1-3 series too, they have the next level up F1 Aura electronics, you might like it.

stinger23 07-02-2013 10:40 AM

Martin OMCPA4 & GPCPA4

I have the gpcpa 4 model in rosewood, also owned the gpcpa 1 sold the one kept the 4 beast of an axe sounds great unplugged and plugged in, the f1 analog is a great sounding pick up especially through a Genz Benz ;) the aura has way too much crap to fool with , if you gig the 4 is a great way to go

rmyAddison 07-02-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinger23 (Post 3531369)
I have the gpcpa 4 model in rosewood, also owned the gpcpa 1 sold the one kept the 4 beast of an axe sounds great unplugged and plugged in, the f1 analog is a great sounding pick up especially through a Genz Benz ;) the aura has way too much crap to fool with , if you gig the 4 is a great way to go

Different strokes, and I have a Genz Benz Shen Pro, been gigging for over 40 years. The "crap" with the Aura does have a learning curve, it's more powerful, but I think the rewards are greater once dialed in. We all like different stuff..........;)

Harmony Fire 07-02-2013 11:40 AM

I have to agree with Rich about the Aura system. Yes there is a learning curve but if you take the time to master the basics, you can really fune tune your sound and that is a plus IMHO when you play plugged in.

stinger23 07-02-2013 12:25 PM

Martin OMCPA4 & GPCPA4

The Genz is awesome isn't it, I've been giggin about 12 years now , I do agree different strokes, I just found that while the aura does produce great sound it can take a while to really learn the system , personally I think the analog produces great sound through a great amp, I do use my Neumann in recordings though and the aura does replicate that sound pretty closely

rmyAddison 07-02-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinger23 (Post 3531486)
The Genz is awesome isn't it, I've been giggin about 12 years now , I do agree different strokes, I just found that while the aura does produce great sound it can take a while to really learn the system , personally I think the analog produces great sound through a great amp, I do use my Neumann in recordings though and the aura does replicate that sound pretty closely

Actually for my restaurant shows I use a SoloAmp, the Genz Benz and extension cabinet are saved for band gigs. I sing though a Neumann KMS105, into a TC Helicon VoiceLive2 into the SoloAmp, and my GPCPA1 is second choice. If I can use microphones I use one of my acoustic Martins into a Shure SM-81, I'll take good microphones over ANY electronics any day.................;)