The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New guitars: why only one strap pin? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449438)

PiousDevil 11-13-2016 10:14 AM

New guitars: why only one strap pin?

Why do so many guitars ship with only an end pin? What am I going to do with that? Attach the strap to the headstock? Screw that, it distorts the neck, and on slot heads it isn't even an option due to the lack of clearance under the strings. What is the reasoning behind this?

Mr LV19E 11-13-2016 10:20 AM

I've always tied my strap to the headstock, slot head included, never had a problem and I like the way it hangs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Goat Mick 11-13-2016 10:23 AM

Most guitars sold will never see stage lights and are only played on couches. Those guys don't want another hole in their guitar (some even feel it weakens the neck at the heel) so the manufacturer ships them without strap pins there. That leaves the rest of us who get out and gig or jam frequently to pick out our own strap button and strategically place it on the neck to our liking.

RP 11-13-2016 10:31 AM

Taylors ship with two knobs for strap attachment. How about Martin, Guild, Gibson, Larrivee et al????

Norml 11-13-2016 10:33 AM

Because not everyone likes or needs a button on the heel. I personally can't stand one there and prefer to tie to the headstock when using a strap.

Denny B 11-13-2016 10:38 AM

I have a Taylor that came with 2 strap buttons, and two Martins that didn't...

On the VERY rare occasions I use a strap, I strap to the headstock, even the Taylor...

One of my Martins is a slothead, and I have no problem with it...it's an '05 I bought this past summer, in mint condition and I was very pleased to see that the one previous owner hadn't drilled the heel...

I like the balance of being strapped to the headstock...the heel button feels awkward to me...

Steve DeRosa 11-13-2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmicko (Post 5126515)
Most guitars sold will never see stage lights and are only played on couches...That leaves the rest of us who get out and gig or jam frequently to pick out our own strap button and strategically place it on the neck to our liking.

I like my strap buttons in different locations on different guitars, depending on the weight/balance/shape of the neck heel and whether or not the neck block is sufficiently wide to accommodate placement along the bass side rim; the default placement on the treble side of the neck heel really doesn't work for me as it interferes with soloing up the neck...

bjewell 11-13-2016 10:54 AM

The last thing I want is a metal screw drilled into the neck joint. Up until the mi-60s, virtually all acoustic guitars were strapped at the neck. And, no, it doesn't mess up the neck or neck joint...

martingitdave 11-13-2016 11:07 AM

Tradition mostly. However, a new tradition is to add a second button where needed. All my guitars have a second button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neon Soul 11-13-2016 11:49 AM

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/...55/ts0055a.jpg

Cause strap button placement preferences are subjective.

PiousDevil 11-13-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr LV19E (Post 5126513)
I've always tied my strap to the headstock, slot head included, never had a problem and I like the way it hangs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you using string to attach it?

TBman 11-13-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiousDevil (Post 5126507)
Why do so many guitars ship with only an end pin? What am I going to do with that? Attach the strap to the headstock? Screw that, it distorts the neck, and on slot heads it isn't even an option due to the lack of clearance under the strings. What is the reasoning behind this?

People vary on where they like the second strap pin. I like mine the way Taylor does theirs though. I installed four this year.

00-28 11-13-2016 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neon Soul (Post 5126599)
http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/...55/ts0055a.jpg

Cause strap button placement preferences are subjective.

This is the way all guitars should come. Just remove the ones you don't want. ;)

........Mike

gfspencer 11-13-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiousDevil (Post 5126507)

Attaching a strap to the headstock does not distort the neck. Never has. Never will. That said, I add a strap buttons to the neck joint if there is not already one there. If you don't trust yourself to do that take your guitar to a good guitar store and have someone there do it.

difalkner 11-13-2016 01:25 PM

I have a 67' D-35S, '75 Gallagher G-71 Special, and a '74 Guild F-512 that all have been used on stage at one time or another, some often, and all I would ever use on them is a strap tied to the headstock just under the strings by the nut. I've been doing it that way for 40 years with no issues to the guitars or their necks at all.

My Takamine EF-508KC has a strap button on the heel and I use it every Sunday playing in our Praise Band at church. I wouldn't dare put an extra hole or piece of hardware on the other guitars but I'm glad the Tak has a strap button on the heel.