The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Finding a great guitar is SO cool. Bourgeois 00 content (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181931)

Kitchen Guitars 04-12-2010 05:44 PM

Finding a great guitar is SO cool. Bourgeois 00 content

I found the Bourgeois Country Boy! Mahogany/Sitka What a sweet guitar.
I have 5-6 Yamaha Dreds to sell. I will keep my FG300 and Buddha. I just can't sell those 2. The others as sweet as they are they do not deserve the dust! I can't play them! I will also sell my Cargo. I love the tone. The scale very comfortable but when I have switch back problems! I started collecting Dreds 5 years ago. I love, love the tone and the size was OK. Then my shoulder started acting up on me. I have been hauling a heavy camera bag to gigs for 30 years. My shoulder said "enough"
So, when I play these great sounding Dreds I suffer then and later. Unfortunately, my shoulder doesn't know a OMD is not a Dred. So, my McKnight OMD even went away. I did order a smaller McKnight. Tim has been a dream making me a LM Wedge and scale and size that all work with me. BUT! that guitar is 2.5 years out.
My 00 Epiphone was a savior! Scale 24.75 and size are perfect. But, for me the nut is really too small 1.68. So, I started poking again. I tried Gibby 00's. I liked the cheap Epi better! Better than guitars in the thousands! Tone of the Epi ELOOVS is miles beyond the tag. But, then I tried an old 50's Martin 00. Wow. Wow.Wow! I loved it. SIZE, FEEL, TONE!
So, I started searching for a beat one so I could afford it. Or a Chinese version to hold me till the McKnight. But, most were 12 fretters. I like 14 frets.
In zoning in I have found I want;
00 - not wide
Short Scale for sure - 24.75 is great. 22.5 is too short for me. 24.9 will be fine I bet
1 3/4 is good, I have played 1 11/16 Yamaha spacing for years as a favorite.
As I learn more fingerstyle I don't mind the larger necks.
The Country Boy is 1 23/32 (Whew wadda measurement!) and only a 1/8" wider than the Epi at the 12th fret. I love the Epi at the 12th. I sold a great Collings a few years ago because of it being too wide at the 12th. Wow I like this neck.
So, I have fretted, hoo'd and haw'd about what to sell. How to get the dealer to sit on this while I sell....... I was writing my PPPPPPLLLLEEEAASE hold this guitar while I scrape funds letter to the dealer. My wife walked in and said "what in the heck is that sour look on your face?". I told her the "I found her" story
She said "JUST buy it! Sell some guitars and replace the dough when you can. I haven't seen you this wound up over a guitar in years!"
Ummmmm, HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
The deal will take a few days.
Want Pictures? :) :) :)
*no, you can't have her

TaylorKoaFan 04-12-2010 05:56 PM

Wow, congrats on a great wife and a great guitar!:D I haven't been able to try one of Dana's 00 guitars yet.

Post those pictures when you get them!

RHolmes 04-12-2010 06:21 PM

Yamaha Junkie, I assume you saw the Bourgeois at Acoustic Music Works, almost next to my favorite pizza place- Mineo's. If you are going to sell the majority of your yams & are so in love with the Bourgeois, does that mean you will be changing your name to Bourgeois Junkie?????

Bluewyatt 04-12-2010 06:27 PM

I love that story....been there, done that (this week in fact). The only thing better than a great guitar is a great wife. We're so blessed!
Congratulations!! I'm happy for you.

thunderlung 04-12-2010 07:22 PM

Yep. I'd like to see some pictures. I am on the hunt for a 00/000 and that Bourgeois caught my eye.

Kitchen Guitars 04-12-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHolmes (Post 2192576)
Yamaha Junkie, I assume you saw the Bourgeois at Acoustic Music Works, almost next to my favorite pizza place- Mineo's. If you are going to sell the majority of your yams & are so in love with the Bourgeois, does that mean you will be changing your name to Bourgeois Junkie?????

Ah we all have our tastes. We like Napoli's Pizza better :) At Murray and Beacon Streets.
I will answer a fun question serious. I still dig the Yamaha's. Its just most I have collected are Dreds. Thier bread and butter size. I'll still have a few I cannot part with. Well, anything has a price. Over the past few years I have gotten "will you sell your Koa Parlor" I give them an xxxxxx price and I don't hear back from them. Where are all of these "I don't care how much guys?????
The cool thing with the Yamaha's; Knowledge for cheap. I started late on guitars. 6 years ago I thought a Dred was an emotion. I admit, I have always "collected" something. I love to explore. Before guitars it was Fine European airguns. (guitars lying about are easier to explain to my kids friends parents)
I have owned over 75 Yamaha's at this point. Some stayed a day. Some stayed since the beginning. Buying/selling/trading Many really nice ones and some lesser ones have moved on. Always learning as I go. I have tried Solid Mahogany to all laminates. A couple Yamaha's cost more new than the "Country Boy" and could hold their own in their own way against the Country Boy.
BUT
Yamaha used the OO range for APX guitars. Plugged in they are great. On the couch night after night....eh. No short scale there. What I am gravitating towards would be new ground for Yamaha. Maybe they will do a Yamaha Junkie Edition :)
Thinned out I will still have way too many Yamaha's.
There are a few more I would like to sniff and play a while. Learning the history of a cool company and enjoying their tone as I go.

kramster 04-12-2010 09:39 PM

Thanks Y J ... makes for some good reading... I like my carbon fibers alot but also really like my Yammy CPX 900 (That ART is great!) and my Nylon APX9na...and have a bunch of Yamaha keyboards, modules, electronic handrums, WX5 (wind controllers (x2)), and had a bunch of their motorcycles.
Some day I'll try a Bourgeois and many others I hope.

I guess I get into things and have try as much as I can. Might be scary if I find high ends I like... could cut into other thing's budgets... but I guess we only live a couple times.. or something like that.

revive 04-12-2010 09:53 PM

Interesting reads....

Makes me wonder though, how different is 00 vs. 000/OM? I compared 00-15 vs. 000-15 and hardly noticed any difference in feel/comfort (although the 000 was noticeably louder & bassier). I think the lower bout only differed by 0.5". But perhaps this is one of those subtle differences that become really obvious only if you use the instrument for an extended period of time (as opposed to a short audience at a guitar store).

I'm asking because I'm eyeing either 00-18V or OM-28V in the near future :D

Also IMO 24.9" doesn't feel different than 25.5", although 24" feels noticeably different.

donh 04-12-2010 09:59 PM

So glad you found a joy while Tim builds you your dream!

I cruised Dana's site and found a 00 Deluxe that's a sister guitar to yours. Looks lovely.

My favourite McKnight I ever played was very close to what you just bought. Wonderful size, great tone.

:-)

Kitchen Guitars 04-12-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revive (Post 2192747)
Interesting reads....

Makes me wonder though, how much difference is 00 vs. 000/OM? I compared 00-15 vs. 000-15 and hardly noticed any difference in feel/comfort (although the 000 was noticeably louder & bassier). I think the lower bout only differed by 0.5". But perhaps this is one of those subtle differences that become really obvious only if you use the instrument for an extended period of time (as opposed to a short audience at a guitar store).

I'm asking because I'm eyeing either 00-18V or OM-28V in the near future :D

Also IMO 24.9" doesn't feel different than 25.5", although 24" feels noticeably different.

Depends on the 00 or the OM or the 000/00. My 00 Epi (Gibson theme with a slightly larger butt) is big compaired to the Martin themed 00 Bourgeois. My big thing is thin upper bout and not too wide. Its a pinched nerve thing.
I have found I love the Gibson 24.75. I do fine with 25.5 22.5 was too small. What better way to explore 24.9?

Kitchen Guitars 04-12-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donh (Post 2192748)
So glad you found a joy while Tim builds you your dream!

I cruised Dana's site and found a 00 Deluxe that's a sister guitar to yours. Looks lovely.

My favourite McKnight I ever played was very close to what you just bought. Wonderful size, great tone.

:-)

Are you making the Jam this year? You were right about "finding my way" for G-tars!

revive 04-12-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie (Post 2192751)
Depends on the 00 or the OM or the 000/00. My 00 Epi (Gibson theme with a slightly larger butt) is big compaired to the Martin themed 00 Bourgeois. My big thing is thin upper bout and not too wide. Its a pinched nerve thing.
I have found I love the Gibson 24.75. I do fine with 25.5 22.5 was too small. What better way to explore 24.9?

Just curious... did you consider 00-18V at all?

Kitchen Guitars 04-12-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revive (Post 2192756)
Just curious... did you consider 00-18V at all?

I have tried other Vintage necks and not liked them I never got a chance to try the Martin 00. I have to say the lovely even tone of the Bourgeois is more my style than the deeper traditional Martin voice.
I am a Pro photographer that does not charge much or anything to photograph guitars for luthiers/publication. Because of that I have played a bunch, some for extended periods, many out of my pay grade. I was blinded by this 00's playability and range of response. I suck, She made me sound pretty good!

revive 04-12-2010 10:16 PM

That sounds like a pretty cool git...
Congrats :)

donh 04-12-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie (Post 2192755)
Are you making the Jam this year? You were right about "finding my way" for G-tars!

I didn't officially sign up, as I can't eat the food and all, but I did just email Mary about finally buying a tshirt!