The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   crossroads (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318384)

richard1 11-21-2013 05:25 AM

crossroads

Go on....be honest,
Have you ever taken your guitar to a crossroads at midnight ?
If so, did anything supernatural happen to you or your guitar ? Were you instilled with the mojo of past masters gone before ? Your playing skills heightened to the level of the gods ?
Also, when is the best time to go ? Full moon, waxing, waning ?, and what should I take with me when I go ? Will any crossroads do ? Or should it have certain features ?. I can't go to THE crossroads, 'cause that's in the States, and I live in Ireland. There is a crossroads at the end of my street, and it's really pretty wild and rural, I could be alone there to complete the dirty deal. Do you think that one would be O.K ?

Clydeslide 11-21-2013 05:25 AM

No, but I have shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

richard1 11-21-2013 05:28 AM

Careful what you say....they monitor everything these days !

Clydeslide 11-21-2013 05:32 AM

Dear NSA,

I forgot to mention it was a potato gun, he was fine. Nothing to see here, move along please...

Bob Womack 11-21-2013 06:31 AM

I can't tell you how many times I've driven through crossroads, in the rural South, at midnight, with my guitar... after a gig. It never once occurred to me to stop there for transmojofication.

Bob

llew 11-21-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 3702520)
I can't tell you how many times I've driven through crossroads, in the rural South, at midnight, with my guitar... after a gig. It never once occurred to me to stop there for transmojofication.

Bob

That's it Bob...a "transmojofication"...that's what I need! You do know I'm gonna use that...right?:ha:

tnez13 11-21-2013 07:19 AM

Remember to trim your fingernails before you go the crossroads. You'll be Robert Johnson in no time.

stardot 11-21-2013 07:33 AM

THE Crossroads

Robert Johnson's Crossroads (according to old blues legends) are at the intersection of US Highway 49 and US Highway 61. 49 goes northward from Gulfport MS and 61 goes from New Orleans to St. Louis, through Memphis.

49 and 61 cross 3 miles south of Clarksdale, MS. Old highway 49 is still there, called "Tallahatchee St." only thing there is an overpass, and a sign that says "watch for children." just down the road is "Shackup Inn". Yeah, dunno.

3 miles to the Delta Blues Museum.

We had family in the Clarksdale area and went through there many times in the '50s and '60s.

Seriously I doubt you'd find a lot of people wanting to be out there at midnight. :D

Scotch 11-21-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clydeslide (Post 3702471)
No, but I have shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

Wow. Best Reply I've seen :D

handers 11-21-2013 09:39 AM

Oh sorry. That crossroads thing may only work in Mississippi and the Deep South. ; )

Hans

Redpick 11-21-2013 10:12 AM

I went once-there was Hell to pay! ;)

Bluepoet 11-21-2013 11:09 AM

...It's where I lost the "pick of Destiny" to that low-life, Jack Black!
--(signed, the One-horned Demon)

Riverwolf 11-21-2013 11:17 AM

I saw the movie. Kinda liked it.
Wasn't that the Karate Kid starring in it?

Joe Da Strummer 11-21-2013 11:24 AM

Yes. I did. A man appeared to rise up from the road through a low fog and asked me what vain request I had to ask that could be worth my eternal soul. I said, "I want to play guitar like Robert Johnson." "And so you will," he said, and laughed.

Well, how was I to know I had a neighbor in my subdivision named Bob Johnson who was just starting out on guitar. Dang it. Sure enough, I'm back to my Mel Bay chord book and have sore fingertips. That devil guy is one tricky character.

Bob Womack 11-21-2013 01:11 PM

However, the new Crossroads Festival DVD/BluRay has been released for a little more sedate transmojofication.

Bob