The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Good luthiers near Savannah, Georgia? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140678)

rockinrebel 12-03-2008 11:57 AM

Good luthiers near Savannah, Georgia?

Anybody know of someone who is really good on setting up guitars near Savannah, Georgia?
Thanks.

rcolosi 12-03-2008 12:14 PM

Master Luthier Ron Griffin of Griffin Guitars is located in Waycross, GA.

He does not use his website anymore, but his phone number is (912) 816-0073 or [email protected]

He is a SUPERB luthier, and a very nice guy to deal with.

Wade Hampton 12-03-2008 12:19 PM

Is Randy Woods still actively building and repairing in Savannah? If so, he's an incredibly knowledgeable and gifted luthier.

whm

Alpione 12-03-2008 12:34 PM

While we're on the topic of Georgia, anyone know a good setup person/shop north of Atlanta? I'm in Alpharetta and Maple Street Guitars is a pretty good haul for me. (Plus, I'll end up buying something if I show my face around there.) :-)

Brent Hutto 12-03-2008 01:04 PM

Wade,

A couple weeks ago Eddie and Martha Adcock did a show here in Columbia and had been at Randy's place the night before. Martha made reference to him building guitars and she said it in the present tense so I'd say yes he does. I'd think that would be a great place to get some work done.

rerwin 12-03-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpione (Post 1670241)
While we're on the topic of Georgia, anyone know a good setup person/shop north of Atlanta? I'm in Alpharetta and Maple Street Guitars is a pretty good haul for me. (Plus, I'll end up buying something if I show my face around there.) :-)

William Brooks is a great guy at Atlanta Discount Music in Chamblee, he used to work for Gallagher Guitars. They have a webs-site, they are located just off I-285.

Wade Hampton 12-03-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hutto (Post 1670277)
Wade,

A couple weeks ago Eddie and Martha Adcock did a show here in Columbia and had been at Randy's place the night before. Martha made reference to him building guitars and she said it in the present tense so I'd say yes he does. I'd think that would be a great place to get some work done.

Randy Woods is a legend in certain circles: a great builder as well as a superb repairman.

Here's his contact info:

Randy Wood Guitars
1304 E. Highway 80
Bloomingdale, GA. 31302
Voice: (912) 748-1930
FAX: (912) 748-0141

and his web address:

http://www.randywoodguitars.com/

Rockinrebel, at least talk to Randy to see if he can help you.

By the way, one of my great-great-grandfathers was the mayor of Savannah during the War of Northern Aggression, and was the man who peacefully surrendered the city to Sherman.

Which is why Sherman didn't burn the place to the ground!

Have fun,

Wade Hampton Miller

patchmcg 12-03-2008 05:02 PM

I'll add another reference for Randy Woods. Great luthier. Great guy. The first time I went into his shop for some fretwork, he seemed genuinely pleased to meet me and proceeded to show me through his whole shop!

When I needed to set up a Kay cello I had bought for my then-girlfriend, now wife, he positively fawned over it for over 20 minutes, getting his nose right down to the f-hole. When he stood up, he looked at me and wrote down the numbers from the label. "Find out what you can about this one" he said. "It's an old one."

Turns out it was built in 1938 and was one of the first 100 instruments ever made by Kay.

About two weeks later, I got an excited call from his shop. They had asked a cellist from the now-defunct Savannah Symphony to road test it, and I could hear it being played in the background.

Like I said, nice guy. and you won't find a better luthier.

random works 12-03-2008 05:23 PM

GA to GA

Hey rockinrebel. I'm live and work in Statesboro. A coworker spoke of R. Woods in the present tense last week.

rockinrebel 12-03-2008 06:38 PM

Thanks!!

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like Randy Wood is the man to see. I've had my J-45 for about 2 years now and installed a Bob Colosi bone saddle myself. It plays pretty well but just wanted someone who really knows what they're doing to take a look at it.

patchmcg 12-03-2008 07:08 PM

Let us know how it turns out. :)

And while you're there, take a close look at the mando with the really high tag on it. It's a work of art!

Alpione 12-04-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rerwin (Post 1670288)
William Brooks is a great guy at Atlanta Discount Music in Chamblee, he used to work for Gallagher Guitars. They have a webs-site, they are located just off I-285.

Thanks for the tip. That's actually fairly close to Maple Street, but is a few miles further north and is actually about a mile from a friend's house. Might use the excuse to go see him. :)

sfden1 12-04-2008 02:34 PM

Alpione, I don't know the Atlanta area well enough to know where this is in relation to you, but you might try Ralph Luttrell
http://www.luttrellguitars.com/

Mauvais Beal 12-04-2008 03:20 PM

Randy Wood or Ronnie Griffin,
Those are the two most talked about here in the south Georgia keys.